Witherman

Spencer Lee Wins Hodge Trophy

In a season without the NCAA championships, you'd think they'd go with someone who had a tougher schedule. (Lee, of course, is amazing.)

Edited by Katie

2 minutes ago, CoachWrestling said:

He defaulted at the Midlands, missed a couple duals. Give it to the guy who showed up. 

This has been talked about in many threads.  I am not saying your stance is wrong, I just don’t agree.  

15 minutes ago, CoachWrestling said:

Should have been Moore. Make these guys wrestle, not these short schedules. Bad precedent is now set. 

Moore 27-0

Lee 18-0 in ncaa and 5-0 at senior open freestyle beating 2 former ncaa champs. So 23-0 total. That’s not bad at all. 

Lee defaulted out of the semis in midlands and missed one dual. Let’s not act like he only wrestled half the season.

Edited by tec87

7 minutes ago, CoachWrestling said:

He defaulted at the Midlands, missed a couple duals. Give it to the guy who showed up. 

I'd agree, a short schedule is one thing but defaulting out of a tournament!?  Did Hodge ever default a match?  I dont think so!  :(

1 minute ago, ionel said:

I'd agree, a short schedule is one thing but defaulting out of a tournament!?  Did Hodge ever default a match?  I dont think so!  :(

Maybe not, but I still don’t think Hodge himself would have a problem with this choice.

6 minutes ago, NJDan said:

TheMat article says, "the two-time national champion outscored opponents by a whopping 234-18 margin." Has any Hodge winner matched this score differential? Maybe Cael.

Hodge was a pinner, if you want score differential look at Mike Sheets.

Where's Pamela - she did an interesting study late February on past Hodge trophy winners based on FACTS. Her findings - the vast majority of Hodge winners have 30 or more matches in a season under their belt. Lee has no where near that. My opinion  - Kollin Moore should have won.

I agree with what Coach said - this sets a terrible precedent for wrestling.. 

After what took place on ESPN yesterday and now this, wrestling is being led by leaderless leaders.

Edited by Marcus Cisero

9 minutes ago, Marcus Cisero said:

Of course the Iowa fans here are all over this. Good for Spencer but it should have been MOORE. 

Criteria for the award includes a wrestler’s record, number of pins, dominance on the mat, past credentials, quality of competition, sportsmanship/citizenship and heart.

That's directly from the WIN website.

Record:  Equal, they're both undefeated.

Number of pins:  Equal, they both have 4, though it should be noted Spencer's pins were over better guys.

Dominance on the Mat:  Spencer.  Bonus in every match but one.

Past credentials:  Spencer, two time champion.

Quality of competition:  Equal at best for Moore.  His best win was over Eric Schultz.  Spencer majored Nick Piccininni.

Sportsmanship and heart are always a wash.

Anyway, it's an easy call by criteria.

2 minutes ago, Marcus Cisero said:

Where's Pamela - she did an interesting study late February on past Hodge trophy winners based on FACTS. Her findings - the vast majority of Hodge winners have 30 or more matches in a season under their belt. Lee has no where near that. My opinion  - Kollin Moore should have won.

I agree with what Coach said - this sets a terrible precedent for wrestling.. 

I don’t think it does, I even was rooting for Moore but don’t think there is anything wrong with this choice.  It doesn’t set a bad precedent at all.  Also, in those facts that were studied over the 30 years, did any of them have a season that ended prior to the NCAA tournament, due to a pandemic?

5 minutes ago, Schuteandscore said:

I don’t think it does, I even was rooting for Moore but don’t think there is anything wrong with this choice.  It doesn’t set a bad precedent at all.  Also, in those facts that were studied over the 30 years, did any of them have a season that ended prior to the NCAA tournament, due to a pandemic?

I'll tell you what - I'll meet you half way. Perhaps the Hodge trophy should not have even been awarded at all since the NCAA championships never took place. I for one wanted to see Lee vs Glory and or Lee vs Mueller. I'm happy for Lee but it means nothing to Mee.

Edited by Marcus Cisero