Witherman

Spencer Lee Wins Hodge Trophy

2 hours ago, Marcus Cisero said:

Misty - that was well written but here's a question I'll present, then answer myself. 

Question: How many times will Spencer meet Glory next season? Answer: Once - during the NCAA.  I'll predict the same if Vito Arujau doesn't move up (and don't tell me how bad Lee beat him during freestyle - its irrelevant to me).  This season will be Lee's last and you can bet all the farms in Iowa Brands will implement the greatest "duck" option wrestling has ever seen to protect him right up to the big dance in March. I'm not a betting man either but I'm willing to bet my words over yours. 

The only way Lee doesn't wrestle in any matches next season, at least my prediction is if takes an Olympic Redshirt, takes his normal redshirt that he still hasn't used, or he's hurt, tapering for an event outside of folkstyle or recovering from an event outside of folkstyle, which is either using a year per his right or the coaching being called smart.  I haven't seen the schedules next year to know where the teams are going...  The whole ducking thing is BS made up by guys that hide behind screen names to throw out negative aspersions.  This is a wrestler that has stepped up at all levels, during all age groups and now he's ducking and he's supposedly ducking guys he's already hammered:-). It's called reaching.  He wrestled in the Super 32 high school division as an 8th grader, FLO Nationals High School Division as an 8th grader.  Give it up.    As far as Vito, folk style would be an awful match-up for him against Lee.  Vito has a far better chance in freestyle to score off of rolls and counters, like he did at the US Nationals--before he lost 14-4.  I think Lee would tech Vito in folk style.  It wouldn't be close, but this is just an opinion, but Lee took him down several times in their first match in Texas, which counts in either folk or free and that doesn't bode well for him with Lee given any time on top--remember he scored back points in every match this season.  I think Vito is awesome and has a great career ahead of him, but match-ups do matter in wrestling and Lee is an awful match-up, so the best thing Vito can do is to move up to 133--in my opinion.  He could win it up a weight next year.  

Edited by mistydawn
edit typo

12 minutes ago, Marcus Cisero said:

headache - are you a Pfizer guy?  I hate to admit it to a wise guy like you but I do prefer Advil's Ibuprofen over Acetaminophen. 

Yes, common ground - ibuprofen > acetaminophen. Unfortunately, I'm kinda of allergic to ibuprofen so it's aspirin for me. 

3 hours ago, Marcus Cisero said:

Man, I know Rivera expressed a number of times during interviews he will not go back down to 125, but I'll tell you what - I wish he would, not only to see him beat Spencer a 3rd time, 4th and perhaps a 5th time, but to shut down the vast majority of Iowa-can-do-no-wrong fans who run the roost on this board. Hell, I'd even pay to see that!

WIN's Jan. 7 rankings feature three new No. 1s - WIN Magazine ...

Big Ten Wrestling Championships 2020 results: Semifinal round ...

Marcus Cisero said: Donny - to the contrary, I'm an Iowa fan - always have been especially during the last few years with all the PA kids filling the roster. It's been fun watching Spencer both in HS and college, I like him and admire his dominance but there are things that prevent me from praising him at the same level like so many do on this board.

You're a clown lol

26 minutes ago, Dondante88 said:

Marcus Cisero said: Donny - to the contrary, I'm an Iowa fan - always have been especially during the last few years with all the PA kids filling the roster. It's been fun watching Spencer both in HS and college, I like him and admire his dominance but there are things that prevent me from praising him at the same level like so many do on this board.

You're a clown lol

Yea, I can be a clown - but not in this case.  I'm capable of admiring many wrestlers from many teams. That makes it more fun for me. I also don't tow the line like you. That's makes it fun too. ;-)

4 hours ago, Marcus Cisero said:

Man, I know Rivera expressed a number of times during interviews he will not go back down to 125, but I'll tell you what - I wish he would, not only to see him beat Spencer a 3rd time, 4th and perhaps a 5th time, but to shut down the vast majority of Iowa-can-do-no-wrong fans who run the roost on this board. Hell, I'd even pay to see that!

WIN's Jan. 7 rankings feature three new No. 1s - WIN Magazine ...

Big Ten Wrestling Championships 2020 results: Semifinal round ...

LOL, what a tool.

17 minutes ago, VakAttack said:

LOL, what a tool.

Vak – be honest, were you any good as a wrestler, or are you one of these guys who tries to make up your failure on the mat with this façade we see here every day?

Edited by Marcus Cisero

8 minutes ago, Marcus Cisero said:

Vak – be honest, were you any good as a wrestler, or are you one of these guys who tries to make up your failure on the mat with this façade we see here every day?

I've never hidden that I was a mediocre wrestler in a mediocre wrestling state.  There is no facade on my end.  That doesn't change that you are a tool. 

40 minutes ago, VakAttack said:

I've never hidden that I was a mediocre wrestler in a mediocre wrestling state.  There is no facade on my end.  That doesn't change that you are a tool. 

That’s fair – thanks for being honest.  I did not know you’re wrestling history but I could tell there was something missing from the way you present yourself here. Vak - have you ever heard of the “short man’s syndrome?”  It’s the idea that males of shorter stature make up for their lack of height with extra-assertive personalities. It’s possible your mediocre performance on the mat haunts you to the point where you’ve gained tremendous knowledge of the sport over the years and use that edge to create some sort of aura of yourself that doesn’t really exist. Am I right? I bet I am! ;)

Lol and you’re calling me a tool?

Edited by Marcus Cisero

2 minutes ago, Marcus Cisero said:

That’s fair – thanks for being honest.  I did not know you’re wrestling history but I could tell there was something missing from the way you present yourself here. Vak - have you ever heard of the “short man’s syndrome?”  It’s the idea that males of shorter stature make up for their lack of height with extra-assertive personalities. It’s possible your mediocre performance on the mat haunts you to the point where you’ve gained tremendous knowledge of the sport over the years and use that edge to create some sort of aura of yourself that doesn’t really exist. Am I right? I bet I am! ;)

Lol and you’re calling me a tool?

Ahhh, the classic straw man in it's natural habitat.

I don't think anyone would want Rivera to go back down more than Spencer Lee.  I wish Rivera had won in the Semis of nationals last year versus getting ridden for 5 minutes in a 7 minute match and losing 8-2 to the guy Lee dominated in the finals.   At the end of the day, we all know what matters and what is remembered are those three days in March.   It's about stepping up on the big stage and getting the job done.   Rivera has been in his bracket at two NCAA Tournaments and never earned the right to wrestle him.  Post pictures and results from in season matches where they are 2-2, but at the show, Lee is 10-0 and Rivera ....  I hope Rivera does compete for a title at 133 in the future and believe he was in the mix for the title this year and was robbed of the opportunity this year and for that I am truly sad that when he was wrestling very well that he didn't have another opportunity.  

4 minutes ago, mistydawn said:

I don't think anyone would want Rivera to go back down more than Spencer Lee.  I wish Rivera had won in the Semis of nationals last year versus getting ridden for 5 minutes in a 7 minute match and losing 8-2 to the guy Lee dominated in the finals.   At the end of the day, we all know what matters and what is remembered are those three days in March.   It's about stepping up on the big stage and getting the job done.   Rivera has been in his bracket at two NCAA Tournaments and never earned the right to wrestle him.  Post pictures and results from in season matches where they are 2-2, but at the show, Lee is 10-0 and Rivera ....  I hope Rivera does compete for a title at 133 in the future and believe he was in the mix for the title this year and was robbed of the opportunity this year and for that I am truly sad that when he was wrestling very well that he didn't have another opportunity.  

mistydawn -------------------------> this board desperately needs more posters like him.

When discussing the depth of a weight class, could it be argued that several fellas left 125 to avoid Spencer?  I feel like some of the guys at 133 planned on wrestling 57 kg internationally, but chose to wrestle up during the season. 

I don't buy into kids at this level running away from guys, but this forum is filled with silliness so why not?  

20 minutes ago, Chrissn2001 said:

When discussing the depth of a weight class, could it be argued that several fellas left 125 to avoid Spencer?  I feel like some of the guys at 133 planned on wrestling 57 kg internationally, but chose to wrestle up during the season. 

I don't buy into kids at this level running away from guys, but this forum is filled with silliness so why not?  

Got any names?

12 hours ago, Marcus Cisero said:

Misty - that was well written but here's a question I'll present, then answer myself. 

Question: How many times will Spencer meet Glory next season? Answer: Once - during the NCAA.  I'll predict the same if Vito Arujau doesn't move up (and don't tell me how bad Lee beat him during freestyle - its irrelevant to me).  This season will be Lee's last and you can bet all the farms in Iowa Brands will implement the greatest "duck" option wrestling has ever seen to protect him right up to the big dance in March. I'm not a betting man either but I'm willing to bet my words over yours. 

Hey Marcus.............. I am not really a betting man either BUT............ I'll call your bluff. I will bet you 500$ (to Wrestling For Life) that if the schedules line up SL wrestles Glory next year. I'll await your answer.

In case you don't know WFL gives kids wrestling shoes, equipment, wrestling camp scholarships, and tickets to wrestling events. They give these things to those that can't afford them. If you have a wrestling oriented charity you can designate the $$$ to that charity.

8 minutes ago, ionel said:

Got any names?

I guess I'm thinking Fix and Suriano fit this idea because they are now considered 33s.  Also, hasn't Gross competed at 57 kg?  I would think Rivera would throw his hat in the ring too at that weight.  I could be off with this thinking, and I'm okay with being wrong.  I just know sometimes weights appear easy, but in reality it's because guys move up or down to avoid dominate wrestlers.  

16 minutes ago, AKHUNTER said:

Hey Marcus.............. I am not really a betting man either BUT............ I'll call your bluff. I will bet you 500$ (to Wrestling For Life) that if the schedules line up SL wrestles Glory next year. I'll await your answer.

In case you don't know WFL gives kids wrestling shoes, equipment, wrestling camp scholarships, and tickets to wrestling events. They give these things to those that can't afford them. If you have a wrestling oriented charity you can designate the $$$ to that charity.

Sorry AKH - the WFL sounds like a worthy cause but you misunderstood what I meant when I used the phrase "I'm willing to bet." It had nothing to do with $$$ and everything to do with a fun prediction about an uncertain outcome. I predict one result and you predict another. If we're both still around next season, it will be fun to bring up this thread to compare my words vs. yours. Capische?

18 minutes ago, Chrissn2001 said:

I guess I'm thinking Fix and Suriano fit this idea because they are now considered 33s.  Also, hasn't Gross competed at 57 kg?  I would think Rivera would throw his hat in the ring too at that weight.  I could be off with this thinking, and I'm okay with being wrong.  I just know sometimes weights appear easy, but in reality it's because guys move up or down to avoid dominate wrestlers.  

Fix - no. He went 133 cause Picc was 125 so best spot for the team.