BigTenFanboy

Winter sports denied extra year of eligibility

I wonder what this means, if anything for Olympic redshirts. This decision was by the Division 1 Council. The ability to stop the 5 year clock is up to the "Committee on Student-Athlete Reinstatement, or a committee designated by it". Do they grant an additional clock stoppage or no?

They should just let ANY Student who takes a Full Class Schedule (Usually 12 Units) Compete as many years as they want (Maybe have a maximum of 4 years on scholarship) If they are Financially able to do it why not?  You get a great workout, have fun and improve, some will be late bloomers, maybe pretty good at age 18, but incredible in late 20's or early 30's,  eventually have someone win 10-15 or more NCAA titles, Have  College Wrestling Versions of Boxers George Foreman and  Bernard Hopkins winning titles at age 40's to 50's,  Not going to happen, but it would be great.

They should just let ANY Student who takes a Full Class Schedule (Usually 12 Units) Compete as many years as they want (Maybe have a maximum of 4 years on scholarship) If they are Financially able to do it why not?  You get a great workout, have fun and improve, some will be late bloomers, maybe pretty good at age 18, but incredible in late 20's or early 30's,  eventually have someone win 10-15 or more NCAA titles, Have  College Wrestling Versions of Boxers George Foreman and  Bernard Hopkins winning titles at age 40's to 50's,  Not going to happen, but it would be great.
Yeah, that's it. Great idea.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

7 minutes ago, 1032004 said:

So does this decision give any weight to the argument to have a dual team champion?

For this screwy season: Decision gives weight to ideas for treating other events (e.g., Midlands) as opportunities for de facto championship.

In general: On one hand, dual team championship has always been intriguing. On another hand, It's a shame NCAA must be the one that sanctions it.

Edited by jon

1 minute ago, 1032004 said:

So does this decision give any weight to the argument to have a dual team champion?

has anyone proposed that? Coach's, wrestlers - I haven't read anything about that at all. In fact I would be surprised if someone did raise that question.  I'm willing to bet the teams and wrestlers are way past the tourney cancellation and now with the recent decision on winter sports by the NCAA there's nothing else to discuss. Time to move on fellas.

8 hours ago, kyleinthecircle said:

really not sure why anybody thought the NCAA would give an entire season of eligibility back to athletes who had a single tournament canceled

You're saying this is the same as if the Midlands were canceled? I agree this may be how non-wrestling people view it.

29 minutes ago, Marcus Cisero said:

has anyone proposed that? Coach's, wrestlers - I haven't read anything about that at all. In fact I would be surprised if someone did raise that question.  I'm willing to bet the teams and wrestlers are way past the tourney cancellation and now with the recent decision on winter sports by the NCAA there's nothing else to discuss. Time to move on fellas.

There are plenty of coaches that have expressed the desire for a dual team champion, prior to the cancellation of NCAA's.   NCAA's being canceled would only increase that desire IMO.

I don't see why it wouldn't at least be a consideration.  So many always say "NCAA's are all that matters."   Well this year, there were no NCAA's so essentially the season didn't matter.   If there was a team dual champion, at least it would have mattered for the team title. 

19 minutes ago, Fletcher said:

You're saying this is the same as if the Midlands were canceled? I agree this may be how non-wrestling people view it.

The season was cancelled after the conference tournaments.   The whole regular season had finished.  There is roughly 2,500 D1 wrestlers this year.  Only 330 were still competing.  That’s only 12.5%. 

Athletes got their season. They simply didn’t get a national championship.  

It is unfortunate.  But there is no remedy that is just.  We must move on.  Sometimes life isn’t fair. 

1 hour ago, Pinnum said:

The season was cancelled after the conference tournaments.   The whole regular season had finished.  There is roughly 2,500 D1 wrestlers this year.  Only 330 were still competing.  That’s only 12.5%. 

It is unfortunate.  But there is no remedy that is just.  We must move on.  Sometimes life isn’t fair. 

You're changing the subject. I was responding to OP, who says the NCAA tourney is just another tourney. I disagree - it's far more important than other in-season tourneys. If you disagree with that, I'd say you don't follow the sport.

1 hour ago, Ogalthorpe Haywood said:

Unfortunately this was the right decision, it sucks for the 330 individuals that missed out but the chaos that would have come from granting another year would have many other consequences. 

It would have been a logistical nightmare to account for athletic eligibility, scholarship management, how to address graduating seniors, etc. for all winter sport athletes (not just wrestling). If they had allowed it though, the NCAA tourney next year - with returning seniors plus returning Oly redshirts - would have been awesome.

2 hours ago, 1032004 said:

No. There are arguments for and against a dual champion. This cancellation is entirely separate from that discussion.

1 hour ago, Pinnum said:

But, the way wrestling is structured, it can be argued that they truly did NOT get their season. In fact, this year was a big example of the NCAA Tournament being basically all that matters with so many top wrestlers wresting so few matches.

Hell, if not for the RPI mandatory match limit, many top guys wouldn’t have even had 15 matches after their conference championships.  This was especially true of Iowa and PSU’s schedule. 

I am not saying that they definitively deserve a full season, I would advocate for 1 semester, but I do believe the qualifying wrestlers have as strong of an argument as possible out of every sport eligible. So much is decided by that last tournament for individual status, while a sport like basketball picks its AA’s The same way they would regardless. 

I said earlier that it was too much of a logistical nightmare for it too happen, but that doesn’t mean I don’t think it should have.