Sign in to follow this  
Plasmodium

Spencer Lee and Anthony Robles

Robles wins the first match and Lee never loses after that one. I still think if McD gets the 1 seed at Nattys he could have won. Precin had a better chance at beating Robles as Precin had some familiarity against him. Precin got smoked the first time they wrestled and then won the rematch.

Edited by russelscout

Soooo.... Just to make sure that I understand you.  You think that Anthony (who I am a big fan of and a wrestler from my Alma Matter) would beat Spencer Lee 9-2.  The same Anthony that beat Jarrod Patterson 9 - 3 and Ben Kjar 4 - 2 at the NCAA's, the year he won.  Interesting is all I have to say, you must just be bored and out for a night trolling.  

20 hours ago, russelscout said:

Robles wins the first match and Lee never loses after that one. I still think if McD gets the 1 seed at Nattys he could have won. Precin had a better chance at beating Robles as Precin had some familiarity against him. Precin got smoked the first time they wrestled and then won the rematch.

Precin beat him in the 2010 3/4 match, after losing to him in the quarters, yeah?

It makes perfect sense that getting a feel for him would be hugely beneficial, I just wonder whether 2011 Robles was so good it wouldn't matter.  I know the Utah Valley kid gave him a tough match at NCAAs, but did he have any others that season?  I'm curious what the path to victory would have been (beyond don't give up an early takedown, and don't take bottom).

Robles got better every year

Frsh:  25-11; and did not place at NCAA

Soph: 29-8; 4th at NCAA

Jr: 32-4; 7th at NCAAs

Sr: 36-0: National champ (7-1 win over defending champ McDonough)

Evidence is that guys did not figure out how to wrestle against them, he figured out how to beat everybody

McDough and the other 35 opponents he faced that year.  Acting like there was a formula to beat him is downplaying the force he became his senior year and that version of McDonough was a prime very high level wrestler.  

8 minutes ago, Class said:

McDough and the other 35 opponents he faced that year.  Acting like there was a formula to beat him is downplaying the force he became his senior year and that version of McDonough was a prime very high level wrestler.  

I recall Matt McDonough as one helluva wrestler who never gave up. Not to diminish Robles accomplishment but I felt bad for Matt when he lost to him. He still remains one of the best 125lbers in my mind.

54 minutes ago, russelscout said:

That just completely ignores the point that is being made.

Well it was in reaction to the previously laid out “formula” for wrestling Robles and that McDonough simply dismissed it.  I was suggesting that beating Robles his senior year wasn’t just going to happen by opponent game planning, strikingly similar to SL this past year.  If you applied my response to another point that doesn’t mean I was ignoring it.

Just now, Marcus Cisero said:

give me a reasonable score

12-7. My reasoning is that McDonough will engage for 7 full minutes, take his own shots give up 2-3 takedowns and a few exposures in the 1st and 2nd and then get a takedown or two in the 3rd. 

3 hours ago, russelscout said:

Who is the guy he beat who he had lost to in the past?

I don't know if there was anyone specific, but the trend is clearly obvious.  Pointing out one exception does not change how I see his career.  If he was a difficult guy to figure out soley because of his missing leg, then the competition would have had the formula.  I contend that the opposite happen and he figured out how to beat everybody.

1 hour ago, Jim L said:

I don't know if there was anyone specific, but the trend is clearly obvious.  Pointing out one exception does not change how I see his career.  If he was a difficult guy to figure out soley because of his missing leg, then the competition would have had the formula.  I contend that the opposite happen and he figured out how to beat everybody.

So when you you said this:

5 hours ago, Jim L said:

Evidence is that guys did not figure out how to wrestle against them, he figured out how to beat everybody

You ACTUALLY meant there was no evidence at all. Gotchya. Thanks.

Lee over mcd (healthy). Scores the same way that Robles did with the roll through tilts. McD gas tank way better but 4 point turns are almost impossible to come back from without nearfall of your own.

Senior robles over lee. Would be fun as sh/t to watch.