Sign in to follow this  
Plasmodium

Spencer Lee and Anthony Robles

3 hours ago, russelscout said:

12-7. My reasoning is that McDonough will engage for 7 full minutes, take his own shots give up 2-3 takedowns and a few exposures in the 1st and 2nd and then get a takedown or two in the 3rd. 

I'm surprised at that, especially at such a wide margin. For me, I could not predict a final score but I do feel if it makes it to the 3rd, McDonough wins.

16 minutes ago, Marcus Cisero said:

I'm surprised at that, especially at such a wide margin. For me, I could not predict a final score but I do feel if it makes it to the 3rd, McDonough wins.

McDs own aggressive approach would leave him open to giving up a huge lead.

37 minutes ago, Marcus Cisero said:

Lol. You asked for a "reasonable" score from russel.. then say you couldnt come up with one yourself? Lol.

28 minutes ago, BigTenFanboy said:

Lol. You asked for a "reasonable" score from russel.. then say you couldnt come up with one yourself? Lol.

Hey BigTenFanSoy – what I left out is the fact that Russell shared some things about himself and his history with the Hawkeyes in previous threads that motivated me to ask him his opinion should the two meet. I was genuinely interested in what he had to say and he'd be the guy to ask that question IMO. C’mon man, asking an ardent Iowa fan which one of two 2X NCAA champs in the same weight class from the same school would win and by how much is something even a know-it-all like you might be interested in. Me, I’m not qualified to come up with numbers but felt comfortable going with McD for the win anyway.

Edited by Marcus Cisero

5 hours ago, Marcus Cisero said:

Off topic ......Spencer Lee vs Matt McDonough. Who wins?

Lee is a multiple-time world champ and a 2X NCAA champ without a redshirt. McDonough also won 2 NCAA titles, but Lee is a much bigger talent.

3 hours ago, Marcus Cisero said:

Hey BigTenFanSoy – what I left out is the fact that Russell shared some things about himself and his history with the Hawkeyes in previous threads that motivated me to ask him his opinion should the two meet. I was genuinely interested in what he had to say and he'd be the guy to ask that question IMO. C’mon man, asking an ardent Iowa fan which one of two 2X NCAA champs in the same weight class from the same school would win and by how much is something even a know-it-all like you might be interested in. Me, I’m not qualified to come up with numbers but felt comfortable going with McD for the win anyway.

I was humored by the exchange and just busting your chops dude. Gave me a good chuckle thats all.

4 minutes ago, BigTenFanboy said:

I was humored by the exchange and just busting your chops dude. Gave me a good chuckle thats all.

thanks for being so cool about it Big! - you know I take a lot of "incoming" here so it's nice to have a fun exchange for once! Have a safe night! 

18 hours ago, 1032004 said:

I think Lee wins.     I'd guess Nato was probably just as strong as Robles and Lee stuck him at NCAA's as a freshman.

Given that Robles likely had the core and upper body strength of someone a couple weight classes bigger, that seems unlikely.

I don't know what weight Robles wrestles with two legs, but I suspect he would've been very strong for that weight, let alone 125.

1 hour ago, whaletail said:

Given that Robles likely had the core and upper body strength of someone a couple weight classes bigger, that seems unlikely.

I don't know what weight Robles wrestles with two legs, but I suspect he would've been very strong for that weight, let alone 125.

Nato probably had the strength of someone a couple weight classes bigger too (and of course even took 3rd at 133 the year before wrestling Lee).

18 hours ago, russelscout said:

So when you you said this:

You ACTUALLY meant there was no evidence at all. Gotchya. Thanks.

Don't be obtuse. I did not look for direct evidence of the a match results being reversed. I pointed out indirect evidence, which is his wins/loss record

27 minutes ago, Jim L said:

Don't be obtuse. I did not look for direct evidence of the a match results being reversed. I pointed out indirect evidence, which is his wins/loss record

Even indirectly, his wins do nothing to show Robles is more likely to overcome previous losses if it never happened. Who is being obtuse when you are the one calling something evidence when it is not?

17 hours ago, Marcus Cisero said:

I watched McD wrestle quite a bit in middle school and high school. McD is a real gritty kid and had a work ethic that was unmatched. However, Lee is just leaps and bounds more talented. 

Edited by russelscout

13 hours ago, 1032004 said:

Nato probably had the strength of someone a couple weight classes bigger too (and of course even took 3rd at 133 the year before wrestling Lee).

He absolutely did.

I still suspect Robles was stronger, but that's only my opinion.

I wish Askren had discussed Robles' strength on FRL, as well as how he became such a tilting machine his senior year.  Unfortunately, he didn't offer much insight into the Lee/Robles hypothetical beyond both sharing 3rd period gas tank issues (although I'm still not sure Lee's is much of an issue).

Senior year Robles May actually be the best 118/125 1 year version in DI wrestling. His style made him almost impossible to take down. You couldn’t ride him and his tilt was damn near unstoppable. 

I am a big fan of Lee, but I don’t know if there is a 125 I would pick against Robles. I would definitely say Lee has as good of a chance as anyone, but I wouldn’t bet anything serious against Robles. His senior year, he was just that good!

1 hour ago, de4856 said:

Speaking of Robles, I always wondered why he never went on to wrestle on the Senior level. 

Because the last time he did prior to his senior season he went 0-2 at the Sunkist Open against guys not in the top 10 at 55kg.  

MSU well said on his senior year and those echo my thoughts as well.  He really reached a new level and his progression from Jr. to Sr. was really remarkable.

Regarding his freestyle aspirations the rule set at the time was not conducive to his disability.  if you recall this was the 3 period best of 2 wins era and the tie-breaker was starting with your opponents leg, an obvious (and perhaps totally impossible) disadvantage for Robles.

11 hours ago, de4856 said:

Speaking of Robles, I always wondered why he never went on to wrestle on the Senior level. 

I had thought the same thing and can't imagine how much a monster he would have been in par terre.

I do remember someone saying that International rules would have prevented him from dropping down to his hands and knee like he did in college