Sign in to follow this  
Pinnum

Will the cancelation lead more wrestlers to continue with Olympic aspirations?

I was wondering how the events would impact wrestling and i has two thoughts. 

1. If the national high school events are cancelled (Fargo, NHSCAA, FloNationals, etc) how will it impact recruiting?   

There are always a few guys that have a break out performance and get picked up late by top programs.  Will these athletes now go to lesser heartless programs and become breakout stars?  Or will they still be found?

2. Will the college athletes feel like they still have unfinished business since they missed their championship and will we see more athletes than normal extending their competition careers by making a run at the Olympics?  Or will more athletes be jaded and move on from wrestling?

1 - for top recruits, not much.  everyone already knows they are good.  for the mid-tier or "breakout" type recruit its detrimental.  not sure how they could possibly be found.

2 - honestly don't feel like much will change.  it sucks almost as much as anything in the sport - but I think after a couple month everything will move on.  the guys who were going to get jobs will get jobs, the guys who are going to train and compete are going to train and compete.