NJDan

Sanderson: Better Never than Late

Unless this is an April Fool's joke, Cael said just today: Winter sport student-athletes who lost the opportunity to compete at the NCAA championships need to be given the option of another year of eligibility. Although complicated, details can be worked out and it's the right thing to do in the long run.

Whatever the merits of his position, why did he wait so long-- until after the decision was made-- to speak up? Seems like a doofus.

Just now, NJDan said:

Unless this is an April Fool's joke, Cael said just today: Winter sport student-athletes who lost the opportunity to compete at the NCAA championships need to be given the option of another year of eligibility. Although complicated, details can be worked out and it's the right thing to do in the long run.

Whatever the merits of his position, why did he wait so long-- until after the decision was made-- to speak up? Seems like a doofus.

Thats assuming he didnt give any feedback behind the scenes.. you know where actual discussions take place?

11 minutes ago, BigTenFanboy said:

Thats assuming he didnt give any feedback behind the scenes.. you know where actual discussions take place?

No, it's not assuming that. Why would he not have made a public statement that backed up his (imagined) private statement.

55 minutes ago, NJDan said:

No, it's not assuming that. Why would he not have made a public statement that backed up his (imagined) private statement.

that's his first tween in 18 months.  the guy doesn't make public statements.

1 hour ago, NJDan said:

To paraphrase, you are asking why Cael Sanderson is not the way he is?

1 hour ago, NJDan said:

Well considering the fact that this is his firet tweet since 2018 and is known to be someone who keeps information very private. Youre assuming that he did nothing and was not asked of his opinion or feedback until after the announcement was made. Im sure there were discussion amongst coachs, ADs, university presidents and the NCAA when making this decision. Just because it wasnt posted on twitter doesnt mean it didnt happen.

I know people here will struggle to fathom this, but Cael’s opinion on this has no impact on how the decision is made.  Him speaking out over the past two weeks wouldn’t have moved the needle one way or the other.  

I suspect he wanted to let his thoughts known because he was frustrated by the decision and it was a way to vent while also showing his athletes that he wants to fight for them.  

I wouldn’t read too much into it.  And if I was one of the people who wanted to ignore the rules and standards of eligibility to try to get some athletes another championship opportunity, I wouldn’t feel like Carl let down the movement by not tweeting about it.  

Cael letting his views be known to his admin is the only thing he could do to influence the decision and he likely did so.  I highly doubt Penn State didn’t take the same position he has taken.   But the decision is based on the whole membership and not simply Penn State.

1 minute ago, Pinnum said:

I know people here will struggle to fathom this, but Cael’s opinion on this has no impact on how the decision is made.  Him speaking out over the past two weeks wouldn’t have moved the needle one way or the other.  

I suspect he wanted to let his thoughts known because he was frustrated by the decision and it was a way to vent while also showing his athletes that he wants to fight for them.  

I wouldn’t read too much into it.  And if I was one of the people who wanted to ignore the rules and standards of eligibility to try to get some athletes another championship opportunity, I wouldn’t feel like Carl let down the movement by not tweeting about it.  

Cael letting his views be known to his admin is the only thing he could do to influence the decision and he likely did so.  I highly doubt Penn State didn’t take the same position he has taken.   But the decision is based on the whole membership and not simply Penn State.

Is it Cael or is it Carl?

We're at war. Pick a side.

1 hour ago, shieldofpistis said:

I agree he should have made public statement.  I see maybe giving seniors 1 more year but not everyone

I've seen this stated a few times.

How would it be fair for only seniors to get another year of eligibility?  I feel terrible for all of these guys and this impacts all of the qualifiers equally.

I don't know what the right answer is, but I can't think of any justification for only giving seniors having another shot but not underclassmen.

2 hours ago, NJDan said:

Believe you missed the other tweet where Carl says he is now in favor of eliminating the individual NCAA tournament and using National Duals to determine the team champion, with one caveat- the dual teams most be composed of 7yr or 8+yr seniors only. 

Edited by ionel

54 minutes ago, Bombermule said:

I've seen this stated a few times.

How would it be fair for only seniors to get another year of eligibility?  I feel terrible for all of these guys and this impacts all of the qualifiers equally.

I don't know what the right answer is, but I can't think of any justification for only giving seniors having another shot but not underclassmen.

I thinking giving everyone would add layers of confusion and teams and wrestlers would renig on recruiting and the transfer portal would be crazy.  In principle you are supposed to be best when senior although this doesn't always happen.  That's why it makes sense maybe for seniors. 

1 hour ago, shieldofpistis said:

I thinking giving everyone would add layers of confusion and teams and wrestlers would renig on recruiting and the transfer portal would be crazy.  In principle you are supposed to be best when senior although this doesn't always happen.  That's why it makes sense maybe for seniors. 

So only add 1 layer of confusion.. not 4-5?

I would assume only a small fraction of seniors would come back even if given the option. Sure, a guy who had a chance for an NCAA title would probably take another year. But a guy who was already and AA once or twice and was not favored to win might decided to move on. Seniors who were not likely to AA would probably move on.

7 minutes ago, NJDan said:

I would assume only a small fraction of seniors would come back even if given the option. Sure, a guy who had a chance for an NCAA title would probably take another year. But a guy who was already and AA once or twice and was not favored to win might decided to move on. Seniors who were not likely to AA would probably move on.

I was talking to some non-wrestling college admins and they believed that 80-90% would return.  The idea being that the job market is too uncertain right now that firms aren’t hiring and delaying entering the workforce one year while picking up a masters at a discount is something most would take advantage of right now. 

1 hour ago, Pinnum said:

I was talking to some non-wrestling college admins and they believed that 80-90% would return.  The idea being that the job market is too uncertain right now that firms aren’t hiring and delaying entering the workforce one year while picking up a masters at a discount is something most would take advantage of right now. 

You mean 80-90% of all students or 80-90% of athletes?

8 minutes ago, NJDan said:

You mean 80-90% of all students or 80-90% of athletes?

Hey Dan - since you started this thread, have you read through some of the twitter comments since Cael made that statement?  I'm not sure if anyone who makes decisions @ the NCAA is listening but could this pick up steam in your opinion?

Edited by Marcus Cisero

11 hours ago, Marcus Cisero said:

Hey Dan - since you started this thread, have you read through some of the twitter comments since Cael made that statement?  I'm not sure if anyone who makes decisions @ the NCAA is listening but could this pick up steam in your opinion?

I have no special knowledge, but my understanding is that the decision has been made. That's why I think it odd that Cael spoke up so late. I don't know if he could have changed anything, but the time to speak up was a month ago, not on April Fool's Day.