Marcus Cisero

NCAA Cancellation: Which D1 Wrestler Had The Most to Lose?

Every D1 wrestler got screwed and every wrestler lost a huge opportunity by not being able to participate at the NCAA Wrestling Championship due to the cancellation.

In your opinion and based on any number of things, please name one (1) wrestler you’re most disappointed to see live out their dream.

For me personally, it is Luke Fletcher from Latrobe PA who never used a red shirt year and was wrestling this season the best he ever has. This was his year to win his 1st NCAA championship and now he’ll never get that chance.

Who is yours and why?

Edited by Marcus Cisero

My qualifications would be a Senior who was a strong favorite.  I use that logic because underclassmen have other opportunities.  Guys who aren't strong favorites may not have had the title taken from them-----they weren't favorited anyway.  

Moore is a Senior and was probably the biggest favorite in the field, except for Lee.  Can't say he was a sure bet, but he was close.  I feel sorry for him.  He had an awesome freshman year.  He had a good sophomore year but wasn't sure how to handle Conel - he learned.  Then his junior year he ran into Bo.  In two years Moore's only losses were to Bo.  

I know some will say Lugo or Pletcher but Sasso got the best of Lugo once and if the ref was on top of the danger warning like he should have been, Lugo could have been 0-2 vs Sasso.  I think Lee vs. Pletcher was a coin flip.  Pletcher showed me a ton of heart at the Big 10's, and he may have beaten Lee, but at best he had a 55% chance to do so.  In my mind I think it was only 40% at best.  

So that is why I pick Moore. 

13 hours ago, Marcus Cisero said:

Every D1 wrestler got screwed and every wrestler lost a huge opportunity by not being able to participate at the NCAA Wrestling Championship due to the cancellation.

In your opinion and based on any number of things, please name one (1) wrestler you’re most disappointed to see live out their dream.

For me personally, it is Luke Fletcher from Latrobe PA who never used a red shirt year and was wrestling this season the best he ever has. This was his year to win his 1st NCAA championship and now he’ll never get that chance.

Who is yours and why?

Pletcher and Moore obviously lost huge opportunities (especially Moore, as I felt he was the second/third biggest favorite after Lee and Gable), but Taylor Lujan never even made the podium in his career, and was very likely to do so this year.

I feel bad for Gable (I'm obviously biased though as I live in MN) since he will be denied what seemed like a cakewalk to the finals. Parris was the only one who gave him any trouble but in that match Gable was clearly the superior wrestler (again I acknowledge that Parris by far gave him the toughest match up this year).

I feel sorry for someone like Pletcher, Moore or Mark Hall - way more than Gable, Lee, Deakin or others who will be back.  I also feel bad for Kolodzik because he made a decision right near the end of what would have been a RS season to shed the shirt and return to help his team - and he got bubkis for that effort!

I also feel bad for Zahid and his brother, Anthony - and those seniors who had good shots at the podium but were denied.  Lydy comes to mind as well as Lujan and Steiert. 

Edited by JerryCallo
add comment

1 hour ago, JerryCallo said:

I feel sorry for someone like Pletcher, Moore or Mark Hall - way more than Gable, Lee, Deakin or others who will be back.  I also feel bad for Kolodzik because he made a decision right near the end of what would have been a RS season to shed the shirt and return to help his team - and he got bubkis for that effort!

I also feel bad for Zahid and his brother, Anthony - and those seniors who had good shots at the podium but were denied.  Lydy comes to mind as well as Lujan and Steiert. 

Zahid was NOT affected  by the NCAA Cancellation, as he was not going to compete in it anyway.

6 hours ago, Rooving said:

I feel bad for Gable (I'm obviously biased though as I live in MN) since he will be denied what seemed like a cakewalk to the finals. Parris was the only one who gave him any trouble but in that match Gable was clearly the superior wrestler (again I acknowledge that Parris by far gave him the toughest match up this year).

Moore wasn't gonna be challenged even in finals.

1 hour ago, JerryCallo said:

Kolodzik is the one person who I think should be given another year.  Maybe anyone with less than 8 matches.

18 hours ago, shieldofpistis said:

I know some will say Lugo or Pletcher but Sasso got the best of Lugo once and if the ref was on top of the danger warning like he should have been, Lugo could have been 0-2 vs Sasso.

Meh, that would have been pretty disgusting to have a big ten champ with one takedown in the tournament, and a cheap one at that. 

1 hour ago, Mpchillin said:

Meh, that would have been pretty disgusting to have a big ten champ with one takedown in the tournament, and a cheap one at that. 

I don't like the danger call for freestyle.  But the rules are the rules.  I'm not saying Lugo would have lost....I'm saying the ending is an unknown. 

Why does sasso have such bad offense?

8 hours ago, JerryCallo said:

I forgot about Kolodzik!

Missed the chance to be a 4x AA (Princeton's first?), and had a legit chance to win 149.

Reading between the lines of a conference week FRL, he was really reticent to come out of ORS as well, and had to be convinced over a few days.

6 hours ago, Mpchillin said:

I'm not sure disgusting is anywhere near the right word to describe that situation.  I can't wait to see Sasso develop more effective neutral attacks, but his defense and mat wrestling are already elite.

6 hours ago, shieldofpistis said:

I don't like the danger call for freestyle.  But the rules are the rules.  I'm not saying Lugo would have lost....I'm saying the ending is an unknown. 

Why does sasso have such bad offense?

You should try reading the rules if you're going to cite them. Also, if you think it's 2, the ending wouldn't be "unknown." Sasso would win.

The danger call at the end wasn't actually close. It was made to look close because it was shown in slow motion a bunch of times. Lugo isn't caught on his back until there are 2 seconds left on the clock. He also has reaction time at this point as well: "The NDS announcement shall occur anytime a wrestler is voluntarily or involuntarily in the neutral danger zone, beyond reaction time, and will continue until the wrestler is out of the danger zone or a takedown is awarded." So, there's really only about 1 count against him, not anywhere close to three.

You can see from where I linked that the BTN clock and official clock are spot on. Watch the clock when Lugo gets frozen on his back. It's at :02. There's a reason this review was so quick compared to most danger zone reviews. It was pretty cut and dry. 

3 hours ago, uncle bernard said:

You should try reading the rules if you're going to cite them. Also, if you think it's 2, the ending wouldn't be "unknown." Sasso would win.

The danger call at the end wasn't actually close. It was made to look close because it was shown in slow motion a bunch of times. Lugo isn't caught on his back until there are 2 seconds left on the clock. He also has reaction time at this point as well: "The NDS announcement shall occur anytime a wrestler is voluntarily or involuntarily in the neutral danger zone, beyond reaction time, and will continue until the wrestler is out of the danger zone or a takedown is awarded." So, there's really only about 1 count against him, not anywhere close to three.

You can see from where I linked that the BTN clock and official clock are spot on. Watch the clock when Lugo gets frozen on his back. It's at :02. There's a reason this review was so quick compared to most danger zone reviews. It was pretty cut and dry. 

I think it was 2 counts.  But I also think once the ref started counting Lugo would have moved.  And we don't know what would have happened after that

I don’t feel bad when a wrestler loses or in this case missing out on the tournament. People are dying around the world that the economy has taken a big hit. Wrestlers are a tough lot and all of this year’s qualifiers will survive  

I just read that a completely healthy 48 year old husband/father died from Covid 19. I feel bad for his family. 

Spencer Lee lost the chance to go down in history as a 4 timer, which is by far the most unique loss of any of the competitors and the most significant individual accomplishment lost by the cancellation.  Moore, Pletcher, Lugo, Kolodzik, and other seniors lost their chances to be in the group of 1 timers which includes hundreds of other wrestlers whose names most will never remember.  Spencer lost his chance to join the group of only 4 other 4 timers, all of whose names and accomplishments we can easily call to mind.  And, based on his trajectory and accomplishments, he was going to be considered among the 3 best 4 timers when he was done, along with Carl and Dake.

Didn't Kolodzik burn a redshirt late in the game for his final year of eligibility?  Could be looking back at that for years to come.

And Pletcher, feel for the guy.  Hell, hard not to feel for every competitor in his final year of eligibility.

18 hours ago, shieldofpistis said:

Kolodzik is the one person who I think should be given another year.  Maybe anyone with less than 8 matches.

8 matches wouldn't apply to Kolodzik then. He had 14 matches. The same number as Jack Mueller.  Aaron Brooks and Vincenzo Joseph had 2 more. 

I am not sure how many matches he had after burning his RS but he had a few before from Open Tourneys. 

It is obvious to me in my response that "feeling sorry" for athletes is not the same as feeling terrible for the pain and suffering of our fellow humans over this terrible pandemic. in the context of sport - I do feel bad for some of these kids, but it does not overshadow the pain and suffering that is now global in scope.

To suggest otherwise is wrong. 

3 hours ago, RedFan said:

8 matches wouldn't apply to Kolodzik then. He had 14 matches. The same number as Jack Mueller.  Aaron Brooks and Vincenzo Joseph had 2 more. 

My bad.  14 is enough to count.  Year should count.  

I think 8 is good number for year not to count.

5 hours ago, Broomstick said:

Spencer Lee lost the chance to go down in history as a 4 timer, which is by far the most unique loss of any of the competitors and the most significant individual accomplishment lost by the cancellation.  Moore, Pletcher, Lugo, Kolodzik, and other seniors lost their chances to be in the group of 1 timers which includes hundreds of other wrestlers whose names most will never remember.  Spencer lost his chance to join the group of only 4 other 4 timers, all of whose names and accomplishments we can easily call to mind.  And, based on his trajectory and accomplishments, he was going to be considered among the 3 best 4 timers when he was done, along with Carl and Dake.

Assuming he gets his third next year (or, theoretically in '22), and wrestles in his usual dominating manner, he'll be considered just as much an all-timer as he would have been with four.  Yeah, he won't have 4 trophies, and subsequent programs will list him as a 3x champ, but his legacy won't suffer in the slightest.  He'll be considered one of the best ever, and no one will ever say, at least not with a straight face, "well, he only won three".

Had this happened last year, with question marks going into NCAAs, however, I'd probably agree with your claim.  With naught but his regular season and Big 10s to judge his season, we'd always wonder whether he would have pulled it together, but this year he was as much a lock as could ever exist, and there aren't any "what ifs".

Anyone who doesn't currently consider him the equivalent of a 3x champ is trolling, or otherwise disingenuous.

Unfortunately, Taylor Lujan's season, and probable AA finish, will be quickly forgotten by casual fans, and he'll likely always be considered one of the best never to podium.  Yet he was a favorite to win 184 this year, and damn near a lock to AA.  Fans like us will have to explain his context, but that won't be necessary when discussing Spencer.

Kolodzick's season will likely be similarly forgotten, but at least he came in a 3x AA.  The opportunity to win a title, however, is forever lost, and he was right in the mix.

6 hours ago, Coach_J said:

Didn't Kolodzik burn a redshirt late in the game for his final year of eligibility?  Could be looking back at that for years to come.

Princeton peeps were pretty happy about win over Cornell at the time of the burning. High price.