shieldofpistis

Kyle Snyder Vs Spencer Lee Resumes

Now that Spencer Lee will not have the opportunity to win 4 NCAA championships, some consider him the best 3 timer.  I think Snyder is the best 3 timer in recent history.  First, Lee does not have the international hardware that Snyder does.  I think winning Olympic gold after his 2nd season is a big deal. Plus he had a world championship after his first year, and then another 1 or 2 after third or fourth.  I mean, can we even say for sure that Lee is going to make the Olympic team? Either way we slice it, during their college careers Snyder will be above Lee internationally.  And it's not even close. 

Snyder has a win over 2 time NCAA heavyweight champ Gwiz.  That may have been the best last period of wrestling I have seen.  If we consider the weight proportionally, it would be like Lee winning at 133.  If we consider Snyder's win over Coon, that would be like Lee winning at 141.  Not going to happen.   Snyder also has a win over Cox.  A 3 timer.  So in his wrestling career, although he did not win the championship as a freshman, he has one win over a 2 timer?, one win over a 3 timer plus wins over guys that would have dominated any other year, like Medberry and Coon.  

What was Lee's best win? Nato?  A guy he went 2-1 with?  Suriano?  No one the likes of Gwiz or Cox.  

The International success while he was in college (not post college) and the weight deficit Snyder faced raise his resume.  I know Dake won 4 titles.  But in college Dake never could claim to be the best at his weight, let alone best in the world.  Snyder could make these claims.   

By the way, I am not saying anything negative about Spencer Lee.  I just think that Snyder has the best resume while in college with all things considered.  He did lose a championship match.  Lee didn't.  But that same tournament he defeated Cox.  So it's hard to knock him too far for that.   

Edited by shieldofpistis
Wrong info

11 minutes ago, Chrissn2001 said:

Has he won 3 yet?  Maybe we should consider him the best 2 timer first...

Poor Spencer, all holdup in his home and has to read all these hateful posts about him.  

You were the one that corrected me and said 2 timer!  You are right.  I took it for granted.  I should know better.  Thanks.  

This isn't hateful.  Spencer is awesome.  Just because one isn't as good as Kyle Snyder doesn't mean he's not awesome.  I think Snyder did more than Dake too.  Who wouldn't trade an Olympic gold for a college national championship?

25 minutes ago, shieldofpistis said:

This assumes that Spencer wins next year. 

Now that Spencer Lee will not have the opportunity to win 4 NCAA championships, some consider him the best 3 timer.  I think Snyder is the best 3 timer in recent history.  First, Lee does not have the international hardware that Snyder does.  I think winning Olympic gold after his 2nd season is a big deal. Plus he had a world championship after his first year, and then another 1 or 2 after third or fourth.  I mean, can we even say for sure that Lee is going to make the Olympic team? Either way we slice it, during their college careers Snyder will be above Lee internationally.  And it's not even close. 

Snyder has a win over 3 time NCAA heavyweight champ Gwiz.  That may have been the best last period of wrestling I have seen.  If we consider the weight proportionally, it would be like Lee winning at 133.  If we consider Snyder's win over Coon, that would be like Lee winning at 141.  Not going to happen.   Snyder also has a win over Cox.  Another 3 timer.  So in his wrestling career, although he did not win the championship as a freshman, he has two wins over 3 timers plus wins over guys that would have dominated any other year, like Medberry and Coon.  

What was Lee's best win? Nato?  A guy he went 2-1 with?  Suriano?  No one the likes of Gwiz or Cox.  

The International success while he was in college (not post college) and the weight deficit Snyder faced raise his resume.  I know Dake won 4 titles.  But in college Dake never could claim to be the best at his weight, let alone best in the world.  Snyder could make these claims.   

By the way, I am not saying anything negative about Spencer Lee.  I just think that Snyder has the best resume while in college with all things considered.  He did lose a championship match.  Lee didn't.  But that same tournament he defeated Cox.  So it's hard to knock him too far for that.   

correction

I would in NO way say SL has done as well as Snyder...........he hasn't. What he has done is what he has done. Which is only beaten those stepping on the mat at very big events.

I am a BIG SL fan. Every time I watch him he does something that impresses me..........No I haven't seen every match he has wrestled so maybe he looks like chit  when I have missed it.

I don't care if SL was at Timbuctoo U. I would still enjoy watching him go.

3 hours ago, shieldofpistis said:

Snyder has a win over 3 time NCAA heavyweight champ Gwiz.  That may have been the best last period of wrestling I have seen.  If we consider the weight proportionally, it would be like Lee winning at 133.  If we consider Snyder's win over Coon, that would be like Lee winning at 141.  Not going to happen.   Snyder also has a win over Cox.  Another 3 timer.  So in his wrestling career, although he did not win the championship as a freshman, he has two wins over 3 timers plus wins over guys that would have dominated any other year, like Medberry and Coon.  

Gwiz was only a 2 timer.

Spencer hasn't won 3 yet but you can't compare 3 timers who had 4 chances to 3 timers who only had 3 chances. There is forever an asterisk for all the guys who had this year stolen from them. Their stats are now in a separate category like Baseball HRs in the steroid era. Basically, this year has ruined all stat comparisons.

16 hours ago, AKHUNTER said:

" ruined all stat comparisons" that is a bit of a stretch"

For guys like Spencer, Cenzo, Hall, etc., yes, I think it has ruined the ability to compare their stats to guys who had 4 chances.

1 hour ago, Erminio8 said:

For guys like Spencer, Cenzo, Hall, etc., yes, I think it has ruined the ability to compare their stats to guys who had 4 chances.

ok....I'll buy that.......... but now you have changed what you originally stated and changed it to a relatively small number of guys.

2 hours ago, AKHUNTER said:

ok....I'll buy that.......... but now you have changed what you originally stated and changed it to a relatively small number of guys.

You don’t think it affects Gross, DeSanto, Rivera, Moore, Pletcher, Lee, or anyone else that lost this year?  

It absolutely affects anyone that would get a comparison anyway, so that’s everyone.

On 4/1/2020 at 10:57 PM, shieldofpistis said:

How does he fit in?

64 NCAA and Olympic Champ

65 NCAA Champ

66 NCAA Champ

68 Olympic Champ

Didn't bother with Worlds

He fits in as a 3X NCAA Champ that won Olympic Gold after his sophomore year at Okie State and another Olympic Gold the year after graduating.

Freshmen could not wrestle varsity when he competed in college.

Pretty good resume...

Edited by PSUSMC

59 minutes ago, PSUSMC said:

64 NCAA and Olympic Champ

65 NCAA Champ

66 NCAA Champ

68 Olympic Champ

Didn't bother with Worlds

He fits in as a 3X NCAA Champ that won Olympic Gold after his sophomore year at Okie State and another Olympic Gold the year after graduating.

Freshmen could not wrestle varsity when he competed in college.

Pretty good resume...

Awesome resume.  

Assuming Lee wins next year, you can compare him to the older 3X champs who were not allowed to wrestle as freshmen - Utaeke and Hodge, and others I cannot think of right now.  But Assuming Lee runs the table, he did get pinned and had multiple losses the last two years - so I do not think he can hang with undefeated 3X champs - in fact, I would put Lee Kemp ahead of Lee - since he had 3 years straight undefeated NCAA championships - I think.  

Snyder also got pinned as a Freshman, and lost to Coon as a Senior.  

I am just saying . . . 

Edited by JerryCallo
correction

But what’s being compared?  NCAA performances?  Or international?  Two different beasts and if you are comparing, compare those specific resumes.  Lee in NCAA, Snyder in international.  But which?
Why not compare the whole body of work?

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

On 4/3/2020 at 7:43 PM, AKHUNTER said:

Makoma............. there are a LOT of stats from this past year that are unaffected is what I am saying.

Oh, cause I could have sworn you just said it was a small amount.