Sign in to follow this  
jross

March 2020 Member Leader Boards - Custom

The purpose of this topic is to announce and discuss the community self-defined, top March 2020 Member Contributors.  The results are in and the recognition will be rolled out over time when I darn well feel like it.  To qualify for March recognition, the member must have contributed 0.5+ posts daily OR received 22+ content reactions (one reaction per March weekday).  As in wrestling, there are levels to forum membership.  The top tier members deliver higher quality and content quantity, where quality content is defined as the quotient from dividing the reaction count by the content count.  The tiers are: Tier 1 - 50%+, Tier 2 - 25%+, and Tier 3 - < 25%.  852 unique members accessed the forum in March.  484 members contributed content.  155 members qualified for recognition consideration.  368 members accessed the forum and did not contribute any content.  Guest access was significantly higher from spot-check observation and was not tracked. 

Tier Member  Count  % Members
1 39 5%
2 77 9%
3 39 5%
Not qualified 329 39%
No content 368 43%
Unique visitors 852 100%
Guests not tracked not tracked

Raw Data Link

March Tier 1 Contributors

@82bordeaux    @Billyhoyle    @BobDole    @Boompa    @buckshot1969    @CA_Wrestler    @Cementmixer103    @Coach_J    @Crotalus    @Fletcher    @Force118    @goheels1812    @headache    @headshuck    @HokieHWT   @HurricaneWrestling2    @irani    @jackwebster    @JasonBryant    @jchapman    @jross    @KCMO2    @LHU125    @MadMardigain    @MedicineMan    @mistydawn    @Mpchillin    @npope    @Perry    @Peso    @ptz305   @SetonHallPirate    @spladle    @steamboat_charlie v2    @stp    @TheOhioState    @tightwaist    @uncle bernard    @VakAttack    

giphy.gif

ESPN caught up with @Mpchillin to discuss his performance.  He has this to say 

"I want to thank the good lord for giving me the skills and helping to push me into tier 1."

Context

Coaching my young son brought back a wrestling passion that has sat idle for some years.  As a new member to the forum, I observed interesting and fun discussions but also negativity, drivel, and endless debates.  There were member contributions that I routinely appreciated and other contributions that did not resonate with my tastes.  I stumbled onto the leaderboard and discovered it recognizes great quantity and not great quality.  With my software engineering background, I wondered if I could, through automation and at scale, scrape website member profile information to define, monitor, and measure quality metrics.  I baselined member contributions weekly through March to put all members, regardless of tenure, on a level playing field.  This was in part inspired by @tigerfan and is follow through of earlier comments.

Comments

1. Do you like me?
    1. yes!
  2. Is this rigged?
    1. yes!  
  3. Fadzaev2 didn't make the cut? 
    1. @fadzaev2 did make the cut!  His modus operandi IS working.  Have you seen his Mount Rushmore photos?  Kudos.
  4. Is medicine man taking PEDs?
    1. yes!
  5. Can this be published every hour?
    1. yes!  It could be automated and that is not planned.  
  6. Will you share future month contributions?
    1. Magic 8 ball says "don't count on it."
  7. What team is better than Iowa?
    1. Penn State
  8. What team is better than Penn State?
    1. Iowa
  9. What is your ultimate troll idea?
    1. Unleash an automated debate bot that must always have the last word (comment) in reply to any comment with positive or negative words that describe Iowa or Penn State.  
  10. Why not recognize all members?
    1. Not everyone deserves a medal.  This is a major problem with society.
  11. Can every member be an All-American?
    1. Everyone has equal opportunity to earn it, yes.
  12. Does this encourage guests to become members?
    1. That intention was communicated, so yes and it possibly had some influence.  Month-Year to Month-Year, January 2020 was down 3% (38 to 37) and March was up 60% (33 to 81).  There are infinite reasons the volume could have spiked at the same time (Feb-March) the community started pushing for more positivity, for lurkers to contribute, and to recognize members.  I don't care enough to bug new members with a survey ;).   
  13. Does this encourage lurkers to contribute more?
    1. Not enough data.  The weekly updates clearly support that several tenured members significantly increased their content amount and quality.  Does this occur every March?  Likely!  Did some members knowingly attempt to increase their quality because of recognition.  Yes that is confirmed.
  14. Why are tenured members like you discouraging new members from participating?
    1. I have been a member only 6 months.  I am actively working to influence behaviors that i believe will lead to a better new member experience.  Before giving this a try, I considered abandoning the forum or reverting to lurker mode.  One positive of the March data tracking is that all members were baselined to zero content and zero reactions.  The data was earned in March 2020 only.
  15. Does sharing this data please all members?
    1. No, as is life.  Members criticize when only positive information is shared because not everyone is recognized.  Members criticize when "improvement opportunity" is shared because it is negative.  Members criticize when they are not recognized.
  16. Does this whole idea strive to create an echo chamber?
    1. No!  We are mostly adults here.  We can disagree and be respectful.  We can agree to disagree without a clear discussion winner.  We can communicate with tact.  We can be funnier.  We can choose not to respond to members that go on the attack.  We can coach on behaviors without labeling people.  We can share stories.  Let us encourage being better.  This is not about encouraging people to love Iowa and Penn State.
  17. Why should I care if the community reacts to my posts?
    1. Reactions indicate an engaged community and they normally reflect you are communicating the right way; the way that makes the community better.   
  18. Are members excited to see their names up here?
    1. I hope so.  Recognizing results and improvement effort should be encouraged and celebrated.  
  19. Will you share the raw data?
    1. Here it is.
  20. Often the post that needs to be written is the unpopular opinion.
    1. Well said!
Edited by jross
added member counts. tweaked quantity wording. address comments. add raw data link.

As a tier 1 poster, I can say this without being perceived as bitter. Your ranking system reminds me a bit of “Dr J. Evans Pritchard.” 

Often the post that needs to be written is the unpopular opinion. There are some very annoying posters who didn’t make your list though and I did, so I admit that your system is probably good. 

Edited by Billyhoyle

38 minutes ago, jross said:

The purpose of this topic is to announce and discuss the community self-defined, top March 2020 Member Contributors.  The results are in and the recognition will be rolled out over time when I darn well feel like it.  To qualify for March recognition, the member must have contributed 0.5+ posts daily OR received 22+ content reactions (one reaction per March weekday).  As in wrestling, there are levels to forum membership.  The top tier members deliver higher quality content, where quality content is defined as the quotient from dividing the reaction count by the content count.  The tiers are: Tier 1 - 50%+, Tier 2 - 25%+, and Tier 3 - < 25%.  852 unique members accessed the forum in March.  484 members contributed content.  155 members qualified for recognition consideration.  368 members accessed the forum and did not contribute any content.  Guest access was significantly higher from spot-check observation and was not tracked.

1 39 5%
2 77 9%
3 39 5%
Not qualified 329 39%
No content 368 43%
Unique visitors 852 100%

@82bordeaux    @Billyhoyle    @BobDole    @Boompa    @buckshot1969    @CA_Wrestler    @Cementmixer103    @Coach_J    @Crotalus    @Fletcher    @Force118    @goheels1812    @headache    @headshuck    @HokieHWT   @HurricaneWrestling2    @irani    @jackwebster    @JasonBryant    @jchapman    @jross    @KCMO2    @LHU125    @MadMardigain    @MedicineMan    @mistydawn    @Mpchillin    @npope    @Perry    @Peso    @ptz305   @SetonHallPirate    @spladle    @steamboat_charlie v2    @stp    @TheOhioState    @tightwaist    @uncle bernard    @VakAttack    

giphy.gif

Context

Coaching my young son brought back a wrestling passion that has sat idle for some years.  As a new member to the forum, I observed interesting and fun discussions but also negativity, drivel, and endless debates.  There were member contributions that I routinely appreciated and other contributions that did not resonate with my tastes.  I stumbled onto the leaderboard and discovered it favors quantity versus what I perceive as quality.  With my software engineering background, I wondered if I could, through automation and at scale, scrape website member profile information to define, monitor, and measure quality metrics.  I baselined member contributions weekly through March to put all members, regardless of tenure, on a level playing field.  This was in part inspired by @tigerfan and is follow through of earlier comments.

Are @MedicineMannumbers off the charts again?

If so, I demand he get tested for PED!  Usually when someone blows away the field like that, e,g, Lance Armstrong, they are juicing!

5 minutes ago, russelscout said:

So I am not tier one. Should I try to be more agreeable just to make tier one? This whole idea strives to create an echo chamber.

Drop your support for Iowa and two thirds of forum poster will "like" you, then declare your support for Penn State and another quarter of posters will "like" you.  That'll get you top shelf tier one:)

Edited by ionel

5 minutes ago, russelscout said:

So I am not tier one. Should I try to be more agreeable just to make tier one? This whole idea strives to create an echo chamber.

Perhaps we could make a pitch to have you and tbar meet in a pigtail match to be part of the bracket?

Just now, ionel said:

Drop your support for Iowa and two thirds of forum poster will "like" you, then declare your support for Penn State and another quarter of posters will "like" you.  That'll get you top shelf tier 1:)

This is how everyone on this board becomes enlightened centrists and it kills the forum for good.

3 hours ago, jross said:

The purpose of this topic is to announce and discuss the community self-defined, top March 2020 Member Contributors.  The results are in and the recognition will be rolled out over time when I darn well feel like it.  To qualify for March recognition, the member must have contributed 0.5+ posts daily OR received 22+ content reactions (one reaction per March weekday).  As in wrestling, there are levels to forum membership.  The top tier members deliver higher quality content, where quality content is defined as the quotient from dividing the reaction count by the content count.  The tiers are: Tier 1 - 50%+, Tier 2 - 25%+, and Tier 3 - < 25%.  852 unique members accessed the forum in March.  484 members contributed content.  155 members qualified for recognition consideration.  368 members accessed the forum and did not contribute any content.  Guest access was significantly higher from spot-check observation and was not tracked.

1 39 5%
2 77 9%
3 39 5%
Not qualified 329 39%
No content 368 43%
Unique visitors 852 100%

giphy.gif

Context

Coaching my young son brought back a wrestling passion that has sat idle for some years.  As a new member to the forum, I observed interesting and fun discussions but also negativity, drivel, and endless debates.  There were member contributions that I routinely appreciated and other contributions that did not resonate with my tastes.  I stumbled onto the leaderboard and discovered it favors quantity versus what I perceive as quality.  With my software engineering background, I wondered if I could, through automation and at scale, scrape website member profile information to define, monitor, and measure quality metrics.  I baselined member contributions weekly through March to put all members, regardless of tenure, on a level playing field.  This was in part inspired by @tigerfan and is follow through of earlier comments.

One of my learnings was that in order for people to improve their performance, they need to receive constant and continuous feedback.

Based on that, I would like to request that you publish this very important analysis every hour on the hour, so the posters can make the necessary adjustments.

6 minutes ago, Perry said:

Perhaps we could make a pitch to have you and tbar meet in a pigtail match to be part of the bracket?

I'm fine with not being in the bracket. Over the years, the posters who actually kept this forum interesting were the contrarians. Cletus, LIMarty and many others did not have a very high reaction to post ratio, but the forum was better with them here. "Quality" should be judged by your ability to add to or start a discussion. As far as I am concerned, how likable your posts are should be irrelevant.

Edited by russelscout

40 minutes ago, russelscout said:

I'm fine with not being in the bracket. Over the years, the posters who actually kept this forum interesting were the contrarians. Cletus, LIMarty and many others did not have a very high reaction to post ratio, but the forum was better with them here. "Quality" should be judged by your ability to add to or start a discussion. As far as I am concerned, how likable your posts are should be irrelevant.

Ironically, I “liked”

52 minutes ago, russelscout said:

Seems rigged. Don't fret none.

FWIW If you go back to the start of the college season and do it that way you'll see more folks on there, including myself.

I ignored this forum for the majority of March and it is entirely due to the fckn ponces who couldn't keep Covid-speak out their mouths.

This place is an escape of joy and collaboration of hundreds(thousands) of minds who love the sport.  When you want to do nothing but bring toxicity to it, then I'm out.

Is what it is.

insertstupidshrug.gif

What I'm saying, @jross is pick a month of steadiness not sporadic mumbo jumbo and it'll be more accurate.

I'm only using my stats for arguments sake and I'll be the first person to tell you that most definitely DON'T deserve to be on a Top33 Bracket/list of best content creators here, but I joined March 19th, to be able to post here, after years and years of lurking.

To today, that is 379 days.

Content count: 2278 (6.01 per day)

Reputation points: 554 (1.46 per day)

Days won: 6 (1.6% of the days)

I don't know a lot of the folks on that list, and for the better part of YEARS I have read every single post, ever.  Even before I started posting myself.

4 hours ago, ionel said:

Drop your support for Iowa and two thirds of forum poster will "like" you, then declare your support for Penn State and another quarter of posters will "like" you.  That'll get you top shelf tier one:)

I'm pretty much anti PSU and not pro Iowa and I made the cut.

Jross –Here’s what you probably don’t realize when you post something like this. You minimize all the other posters which could minimize board participation. In addition, you inadvertently alienate new posters. Shouldn’t you be looking for ways to attract new participants? What you and the creators of themat.com should be doing is looking for ways to increase participation. You keep on highlighting and praising those who kiss each other a** and it really accomplishes nothing other than stroking their egos. Look at how giddy some of these guys are after seeing their names up there. They’re like little girls! Perhaps you could send out tier 1 via email. By the way, why did you exclude tier 2 and 3? Aren’t these people just as important to the board? Certainly they contribute in some way, no?  I don’t blame Russell for sharing his opinion on this. He like I have the cujones to tell it like it is and many of these superstars don’t like it so we don’t get the emojes or whatever you call the circles to the right. By the way, one thing I have to say is RussellScout and I probably hold the record for most closed threads. How about some love for that. When he and I go at it – well, we go at it and the mods have no choice but to shut it down. This guy really ticks me off and I clearly do the same for him, yet for some strange reason, we continue to engage good bad or indifferent. I like it and I think he does too. We’re both renegades and we like to “throw some hands” every now and then. The next morning we both wake up to log in only to learn we’re still active members. That’s a testament to the mods who are allowing us to mix it up a bit. It’s why the threads on Covid 19 exist – they recognize the correlation to our sport so they allow it to go on. Jross – you should be looking for ways to mix it up and encourage more participation. I do not care what any of you have to say – even if I was on the same tier you guys worship, you are discouraging participation whether you realize it or not. A lot of new people (lurkers) visit, read and maybe leave an emoje – but how do we get them to actually leave a reply, debate, share their thoughts / findings, etc and remain? Shouldn't that  be the goal? Look there’s no way what I’m saying is viewed favorably – I get that, but what you don’t get is as smart and accomplished as many of you are, you’re really stupid in so many other ways. Me, I’m stupid all the time. Did you get that medman? There’s something new for you to copy and paste.  Gosce - there's  something new for you report. Jross – all kidding aside, please don’t think I’m cheapening what you do here. You shared some things about yourself and your family plus you’re smart as a whip so I have nothing but respect for you. I just wanted to point out my view of this latest analysis. It's wrong the way you go about it and I feel it not only turns off existing posters but I believe it turns away those who might want to be for the first time. Have a good night.

Edited by Marcus Cisero

"A reaction is often an expression that the audience would like to see more of that type of content."  

March All Americans - Reactions / Content

rank member name march
reactions /
content
membership
years
1 @MedicineMan 161.43% 1.4 *
2 @BobDole 120.00% 10.2
3 @Coach_J 107.14% 10.2
4 @mistydawn 104.35% 2.2
5 @Crotalus 102.94% 5.1
6 @Peso 100.00% 2.8
7 @Fletcher 100.00% 10.2
8 @npope 82.35% 10.2

round of 12: @KCMO2, @buckshot1969, @HurricaneWrestling2, @ptz305

*really 10.2 (second account)

“No matter how good you get you can always get better, and that's the exciting part.”  

March All Americans - Highest Reaction / Content Gains

rank member name membership
years
reaction /
content increase over all-time
1 @BobDole 10.2 78.61%
2 @Peso 2.8 61.48%
3 @Crotalus 5.1 60.37%
4 @mistydawn 2.2 57.92%
5 @npope 10.2 57.02%
6 @SetonHallPirate 10.2 45.12%
7 @MPC 0.1 43.75%