Columbia_Lou

Did ODU drop wrestling?

4 hours ago, MPC said:

I worry that this is the first of several programs. I work in higher education and the industry is facing a potentially devastating revenue shortfall as a result of COVID-19. Wrestling programs may be low hanging fruit for administrators forced to cut millions. The best thing the wrestling community can do, is donate to your local university's wrestling program endowment. Show schools that they would anger a large contingent of donors if a program is cut.

Agree.

This is a terrible thing for D1 Wrestling.

I am fearful that this is the first of several D1 Programs to be cut as a result of the “NCAA economic stress” resulting from this covid situation.

Just now, CoachWrestling said:

What is the AD's email? I would like to send him a brief email to let him know my thoughts. I'm sure others would like to as well

You spent four posts trying to explain why you thought Steve Martin was an A-hole. Not sure as an alum, I want you sharing your opinion with the administration. 

3 minutes ago, JasonBryant said:

You spent four posts trying to explain why you thought Steve Martin was an A-hole. Not sure as an alum, I want you sharing your opinion with the administration. 

Steve Martin is an a-hole, but it's still a horrible decision. I will send an email tomorrow voicing my displeasure. 

The AD's email is wselig@odu.edu for anyone interested. 

Was there a large donation or some other reason they are building a $3,000,000 women's volleyball arena? 

Edited by CoachWrestling

Steve was a very personable guy ,real friendly.  Mid westerner. To bad for the wrestling world. They didn’t need a D1 program to go in the dumpster. 

Midwesterner? Wasn’t he from Virginia?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

“The decision in part developed from the findings of a six-month study of the athletics program by an outside consultant. The comprehensive report reviewed the national college sports landscape, identified current and future financial challenges and evaluated Title IX compliance, which led to the recommendation to discontinue a varsity sport. Once completely implemented, it is estimated that athletics will have an expense savings of approximately $1 million.”

“With the change, ODU will sponsor 16 NCAA sports, nine for women and seven for men, in addition to the non-NCAA sport of women's and coed sailing. This includes women's volleyball, which will begin its first season at ODU in the fall. NCAA Football Bowl Subdivision programs are required to sponsor at least 16 sports.” 

No men’s wrestling at ODU but women’s volleyball remains.

Title 9 strikes again.  Make no mistake about it – this has been in the works for some time and the excuse of the virus is a perfect time to axe the program.

12 hours ago, MizzouGrad said:

Old Dominion was a borderline Top 25 program and it is suddenly gone. They also recruited top-tier recruits from the Midwest all the way to Virginia. Terrible loss for wrestling.

We had a local PA wrestler Tristan Warner sign up with ODU many years ago. Everyone in the area was so proud of the young man. Had a decent wrestling career and even qualified for the NCAA championships a few times. The also kid won the NCAA's highest academic award two seasons in a row with like a 3.9 - 4.0 GPA. 

Edited by Marcus Cisero

10 hours ago, 1032004 said:

Not saying it won’t happen elsewhere, but sounds like this one was gonna happen anyway and they kinda just blamed it partially on Covid-19

of course it was "gonna happen anyway" and yes "they kinda blamed it partially on Covid-19."

6 hours ago, JasonBryant said:

Well, the women's basketball team has won three national titles. If you're going to e-mail the administration, please don't act like a bunch of neanderthals and give them even more reason to validate this horrendous decision. 

Well there you have it. What's the of relevance of bringing up "women's basketball team has won three national titles" ?? I say bombard the the admins with 100's of emails. That's called exercising our first amendment right which I gladly did yesterday. Jason, I noticed you said you felt "gutted" in the other forum when asked about the decision.  That's how many of us feel when journalists, broadcasters,  announcer's and others in leadership roles in our sport tread so delicately when our sport gets hit like this. It's called job security and that's why guys like you and girlyboy foley over at inter*rap have zero credibility when this happens, at least in my opinion. Everyone willing to admit it knows what would happen if one you guys spoke up against this like so many are doing on twitter. Bottom line, more should have been done to protect this sport years ago but now its too late. I predict more fallout in the very near future. What a damn shame.

Edited by Marcus Cisero

20 minutes ago, Marcus Cisero said:

Well there you have it. What's the of relevance of bringing up "women's basketball team has won three national titles" ?? 

I can't find it now- but I remember seeing a post saying that ODU didn't have any other nat'l ranked sports. JB might have been responding to that.

10 hours ago, southend said:

Steve was a very personable guy ,real friendly.  Mid westerner. To bad for the wrestling world. They didn’t need a D1 program to go in the dumpster. 

im pretty sure steve was from virginia... wrestled at iowa..but from virginia

2 hours ago, Marcus Cisero said:

“The decision in part developed from the findings of a six-month study of the athletics program by an outside consultant. The comprehensive report reviewed the national college sports landscape, identified current and future financial challenges and evaluated Title IX compliance, which led to the recommendation to discontinue a varsity sport. Once completely implemented, it is estimated that athletics will have an expense savings of approximately $1 million.”

“With the change, ODU will sponsor 16 NCAA sports, nine for women and seven for men, in addition to the non-NCAA sport of women's and coed sailing. This includes women's volleyball, which will begin its first season at ODU in the fall. NCAA Football Bowl Subdivision programs are required to sponsor at least 16 sports.” 

No men’s wrestling at ODU but women’s volleyball remains.

Title 9 strikes again.  Make no mistake about it – this has been in the works for some time and the excuse of the virus is a perfect time to axe the program.

according to wha tyou posted..it has nothing to do with covid19

9 hours ago, JasonBryant said:

Well, the women's basketball team has won three national titles. If you're going to e-mail the administration, please don't act like a bunch of neanderthals and give them even more reason to validate this horrendous decision. 

i agree, but the UNO wrestling team was the most successful program in state history, just coming off a national title... 

4 minutes ago, GockeS said:

according to wha tyou posted..it has nothing to do with covid19

Did you read the article Mr. Reporter?

"We are saddened to have to make this decision, but it's one that was made with the long-term best interest of the athletics program in mind," said director of athletics Dr. Camden Wood Selig. "No one wants to reduce opportunities for young men to compete and represent Old Dominion, but we are required to be responsible with departmental resources. Our decision became even more clear during this coronavirus crisis, which we know will have significant impact on future athletics budgets. This decision will better allow the remaining sports to compete at a national level."

7 minutes ago, Marcus Cisero said:

Did you read the article Mr. Reporter?

"We are saddened to have to make this decision, but it's one that was made with the long-term best interest of the athletics program in mind," said director of athletics Dr. Camden Wood Selig. "No one wants to reduce opportunities for young men to compete and represent Old Dominion, but we are required to be responsible with departmental resources. Our decision became even more clear during this coronavirus crisis, which we know will have significant impact on future athletics budgets. This decision will better allow the remaining sports to compete at a national level."

no

hence why it seemed you were assuming facts not in evidence.

mr almighty

but you can't read either i guess "Our decision became even more clear during this coronavirus crisis,

the decision was already made.

Edited by GockeS

9 hours ago, JasonBryant said:

Was there more to it then Title ix? 

2 hours ago, GockeS said:

no

hence why it seemed you were assuming facts not in evidence.

mr almighty

but you can't read either i guess "Our decision became even more clear during this coronavirus crisis,

the decision was already made.

Or... Wrestling could have survived another year or two and given an opportunity to be saved with a fundraising effort (many programs have been given an opportunity to improve their financial standing before getting dropped) but now that isn't likely possible. 

I wouldn't assume it was as clear as you make it out to be.  Sure, there is no doubt it was being talked about at ODU, but I wouldn't assume that this crisis didn't have an impact.   Being in the MAC obviously didn't help.  The unfortunate thing is that the data for the study would not have included this season and the absorption of the EWL into the MAC actually improved ODU's position as they were no longer a significant geographic outlier in the conference. 

I'm as confused as anyone about this decision. Was Coach Martin informed about any of this in advance of the AD's statement? Was he given the opportunity to raise funds to maintain the program for the long term? Did the administration consider any sort of request or was the decision already made?

I'm having trouble understanding how the OP started this thread with a question and that the wrestling community was seemingly caught off guard by this decision. It's not without precedent, but with communication the way it is today, I'm baffled by how this all took place so silently.

12 hours ago, CoachWrestling said:

Steve Martin is an a-hole, but it's still a horrible decision. I will send an email tomorrow voicing my displeasure. 

The AD's email is wselig@odu.edu for anyone interested. 

Was there a large donation or some other reason they are building a $3,000,000 women's volleyball arena? 

Be warned that he won't give a darn.  When they were switching to conference USA a few years back I was afraid they were going to drop wrestling.  So, I sent him an email asking about it and if we would be notified.  He did respond.  He was a jerk about it and told me it was none of my concern.  (I was a parent of a wrestler).  It was worse than you would expect and I can say here.  I responded to him that if I treated people the way he responded to me, I would lose my job.  He basically responded that he didn't care.  Just a warning.

10 minutes ago, Tofurky said:

I'm as confused as anyone about this decision. Was Coach Martin informed about any of this in advance of the AD's statement? Was he given the opportunity to raise funds to maintain the program for the long term? Did the administration consider any sort of request or was the decision already made?

I'm having trouble understanding how the OP started this thread with a question and that the wrestling community was seemingly caught off guard by this decision. It's not without precedent, but with communication the way it is today, I'm baffled by how this all took place so silently.

I do not know details but I do know at least assistant coaches had no idea.  They need to pay for the new FB stadium some how?

9 minutes ago, teach said:

I do not know details but I do know at least assistant coaches had no idea.  They need to pay for the new FB stadium some how?

Also spending $3.1 Million on a place  for Volleyball to play.The  project started in January

Edited by calot