Columbia_Lou

Did ODU drop wrestling?

It should be known that Virginia has a state law that limits the amount of student fees that can go to funding athletics.  The law limits the percentage of the athletic budget that can come from student fees based on the tier of the athletic department (the higher the level the less you can rely on student fees).  

There was a provision in the law that helped make it possible for ODU to transition to FBS football that was set to expire June, 2020.

2. That for the purposes of this act, Old Dominion University (University) shall be considered a Division I-AA institution until July 1, 2020, and if the University continues to operate a Division I-A intercollegiate football program on July 1, 2020, the University shall subsequently be considered a Division I-A institution.

https://lis.virginia.gov/cgi-bin/legp604.exe?151+ful+CHAP0704

C. The subsidy percentage shall not exceed:

1. 20 percent for NCAA Division I-A institutions affiliated with the Atlantic Coast Conference, Big Ten Conference, Big 12 Conference, Pac-12 Conference, or Southeastern Conference;

2. 55 percent for NCAA Division I-A institutions affiliated with conferences other than the Atlantic Coast Conference, Big Ten Conference, Big 12 Conference, Pac-12 Conference, or Southeastern Conference;

3. 70 percent for NCAA Division I-AA institutions;

4. 78 percent for NCAA Division I-AAA institutions;

5. 81 percent for NCAA Division II institutions that operate intercollegiate football programs;

6. 85 percent for NCAA Division II institutions that do not operate intercollegiate football programs;

7. 89 percent for NCAA Division III institutions that operate intercollegiate football programs; and

8. 92 percent for NCAA Division III institutions that do not operate intercollegiate football programs.

Edited by Pinnum
Edit to add link and law text

If you read the article from the ODU website you read that they added girls volleyball, girls and coed sailing, so this is a total spin job. They used an outside auditor to decide that wrestling should be canned. You do the math.

6 hours ago, Marcus Cisero said:

Well there you have it. What's the of relevance of bringing up "women's basketball team has won three national titles" ?? I say bombard the the admins with 100's of emails. That's called exercising our first amendment right which I gladly did yesterday. Jason, I noticed you said you felt "gutted" in the other forum when asked about the decision.  That's how many of us feel when journalists, broadcasters,  announcer's and others in leadership roles in our sport tread so delicately when our sport gets hit like this. It's called job security and that's why guys like you and girlyboy foley over at inter*rap have zero credibility when this happens, at least in my opinion. Everyone willing to admit it knows what would happen if one you guys spoke up against this like so many are doing on twitter. Bottom line, more should have been done to protect this sport years ago but now its too late. I predict more fallout in the very near future. What a damn shame.

JB has done more for this sport than you and 95% of the wrestling community. How about you shut your mouth over things you have no knowledge of.

24 minutes ago, JasonBryant said:

That was to be a shared competition facility WITH wrestling. 

Thats what the Athletic Department said as they were looking to cut wrestling . Doesnt sound like a $ deal to me sounds like an excuse

25 minutes ago, jml1970 said:

If you read the article from the ODU website you read that they added girls volleyball, girls and coed sailing, so this is a total spin job. They used an outside auditor to decide that wrestling should be canned. You do the math.

I believe those were added to better align with the American Conference.  

The American is likely to need to replace UConn who left.  

The American is now a southern conference.  They aren’t going to consider adding any northern teams and they want programs that have larger markets.   ODU has been the school I have felt was the best positioned to make the move to the American.  There is a lot of potential with the athletic department 

5 hours ago, Pinnum said:

Or... Wrestling could have survived another year or two and given an opportunity to be saved with a fundraising effort (many programs have been given an opportunity to improve their financial standing before getting dropped) but now that isn't likely possible. 

I wouldn't assume it was as clear as you make it out to be.  Sure, there is no doubt it was being talked about at ODU, but I wouldn't assume that this crisis didn't have an impact.   Being in the MAC obviously didn't help.  The unfortunate thing is that the data for the study would not have included this season and the absorption of the EWL into the MAC actually improved ODU's position as they were no longer a significant geographic outlier in the conference. 

one would think that a fundraising effort might have been announced at this time... a lot of people have a lot of time on their hands.

47 minutes ago, GockeS said:

one would think that a fundraising effort might have been announced at this time... a lot of people have a lot of time on their hands.

No, this is the worst time to start a campaign.   The economy is so uncertain moving forward that people will hold back giving.   And charitable giving by many is being redirected to other things like food banks and other programs that are helping those that are in difficult situations right now.

I can tell you there are a lot of people who are in difficult situations right now.  Giving to help people put food on the table is more important.  

And campaigns for a school tend to rely on their own community.  If ODU asks their supporters to give to wrestling many who don’t have a connection to wrestling will give.  But They will give money they would have given else where at ODU if asked.  It isn’t new money.  It isn’t Penn State fans or general wrestling fans that will be supporting ODU wrestling  (yes, people sometimes will give small amounts to try to save a program).  

This is not a good time to fundraise.

On 4/2/2020 at 6:05 PM, tec87 said:

Saderian Perry is a senior on the roster but he came to ODU after Eastern axed their program and now he’s there as ODU axes theirs. Crazy!

Didn’t realize Perry was planning to go to grad school there next year and be a grad assistant.  Damn...

https://www.orlandosentinel.com/coronavirus/os-sp-hs-wrestling-odu-wrestling-eliminated-20200408-hiqcrwsmsvfc5e7pumdj64o3ay-story.html?outputType=amp&__twitter_impression=true

On 4/3/2020 at 7:46 PM, lu_alum said:

knew that.  he's my age. i went to Granby camps in HS.

David Martin = Indiana State (coach Gray Simons, "Mr. Va. Beach"); Billy Martin= Oklahoma State; Steve Martin = Iowa.

They (Billy, Steve) were only Midwesterners when it came to wrestling for whoever was Hot at the time. Unfortunately, none were on a national title team, just missing one in the case of Billy and Steve. When OSU won in 1971 Billy left Ames and decided to be a Cowboy. ISU wanted him bad but still won NCAA's w/o him in 1972&73. In 1986 Steve jumped on the 9-in-a-row Iowa train and from 1987-90 the Hawks only went downhill. After he left, Iowa began winning titles again, '91 '92,  '93.

Edited by Cooch1
accuracy