CoachJSS

The man who recommended ODU drop wrestling.....

On 4/5/2020 at 8:04 PM, Pinnum said:

...While in certain places (like New England) field hockey is viewed as a prep school sport...

In my experience field hockey in New England is not a wealthy or mainly prep school sport. Most public schools have teams

Full report available here: 

https://www.documentcloud.org/documents/6825217-ODU-Athletics-Strategic-Review.html#document

Decision was definitely already made.   Date of document: 3/31.    Date wresting team cut: 4/2

Although to be honest I wouldn't be surprised if the report was done earlier and they added in the stuff about COVID-19 at the last minute.  The very last sentence reads: "ODU Athletics should discontinue the wrestling program immediately upon the conclusion of the 2019-2020 wrestling season."   But on 3/31, the season had already been over for weeks.

2 hours ago, Jim L said:

In my experience field hockey in New England is not a wealthy or mainly prep school sport. Most public schools have teams

You may be right.  Admittedly my experience with New England is really limited to the elite prep schools.

On 4/6/2020 at 10:05 AM, 1032004 said:

And how much you think they paid him do it?  Probably at least a couple hundred grand right?

Given the relatively narrow scope of this external review (financial viability of the department with limited competitive considerations) and the lack of diversity (essentially a single consultant/consultation team) I would estimate the bottom line in the $25,000 to $50,000 range maximum.

If they wanted to direct resources to the bigger sports, why cut wrestling and not rowing?  or others?  Does rowing give national exposure?  Have you seen the facilities, wow!  Or do these other sports need to be prepared because it's coming?  Baseball a lot of schools cut but it seems to hold at ODU?

26 minutes ago, teach said:

If they wanted to direct resources to the bigger sports, why cut wrestling and not rowing?  or others?  Does rowing give national exposure?  Have you seen the facilities, wow!  Or do these other sports need to be prepared because it's coming?  Baseball a lot of schools cut but it seems to hold at ODU?

They don't have men's rowing, only women's.  The report said they couldn't cut any women's sports because of Title IX.  

According to the report, based on the costs, soccer or baseball were the only other options.   They chose wrestling because it's not in Conference USA and there are less D1 teams.

One of the top Wrestlers ODU ever recruited was Jeff Eure, 2 time Pa State Champ, 3 years undefeated (injured as a soph when ranked #1, Upper Dauphin in the 1990s. Unfortunately he went to play baseball, Never made it to the Majors, Maybe not to AAA. HS Valedictorian I think.

2 hours ago, RichB said:

One of the top Wrestlers ODU ever recruited was Jeff Eure, 2 time Pa State Champ, 3 years undefeated (injured as a soph when ranked #1, Upper Dauphin in the 1990s. Unfortunately he went to play baseball, Never made it to the Majors, Maybe not to AAA. HS Valedictorian I think.

I've been told Jeff is a high school wrestling coach in Utah now. He'd come into the room periodically to work out when he was a ballplayer at ODU. Great dude. Haven't talked to him much in recent years, played a couple years in AA and the independent leagues. 

On 4/4/2020 at 8:27 AM, potentiallydangerous said:

The idiot used the word "insure' when he meant "ensure." That should have been a disqualification right there.

According to dictionary.com, insure's second definition is basically synonymous with ensure.

I'm pretty sure either spelling is correct.

I’ve seen the word insure used that way occasionally in old documents. Today it just looks misplaced and I would treat it that way. 

Edited by Katie

27 minutes ago, whaletail said:

According to dictionary.com, insure's second definition is basically synonymous with ensure.

I'm pretty sure either spelling is correct.

It's been accepted because everyone screws it up.

On 4/7/2020 at 1:33 PM, CoachJSS said:

Did anyone else send a constructive email?

I emailed the AD/President, surprisingly did actually get a response somewhat addressing some of the specific comments I made:

I am grateful that you shared your comments. Your comments about the success of our program in the NCAA Championships and the ability to compete successfully against Power 5 teams are among the reasons that made discontinuing the wresting program a difficult, last-resort option for us.

I also want to provide background on the timeline of the process to explain the mention of COVID-19. Our staff has been examining financial options for a long time. Over the past two years, we made budget reductions across the program to save about $1.2 million. Over the course of this past year, our team began to think that we may have to make the strategic decision to reduce the number of sports that we sponsor for the benefit of the entire athletics program. We then began working with a consultant to see if we could find alternative strategies. After a six-month comprehensive, in-depth study, we begrudgingly agreed that reducing the number of sponsored sports would be the best option.

We then reviewed each sport program using strategic criteria including the total cost of the sport program, the impact on Title IX compliance and the national landscape of each sport to determine which sports would be the best to discontinue. Even after wresting was selected, we continued to review our finances to see if there might be an option to retain the program, perhaps through unanticipated revenue growth. In the past few weeks, it became apparent that the cancellation of the NCAA championships and the nation’s economic crisis due to COVID-19 will negate those discussions about revenue growth. In fact, we are planning for more significant reductions due to those negative impacts. COVID-19 was not the scapegoat, but rather the impact eliminated possible remedies and made it urgent that we take this step now, so we could begin saving expense dollars in 2020-21.

Again, thank you for sharing your comments. I know this decision has been painful for the student-athletes, coach, alumni and the wrestling community. ws

On 4/8/2020 at 9:37 AM, 1032004 said:

They don't have men's rowing, only women's.  The report said they couldn't cut any women's sports because of Title IX.  

According to the report, based on the costs, soccer or baseball were the only other options.   They chose wrestling because it's not in Conference USA and there are less D1 teams.

Sorry I have been out for a while but the problem I have is, when they went to conference USA I asked the AD about wrestling and he said "In no way will this effect wrestling."

1 hour ago, teach said:

Sorry I have been out for a while but the problem I have is, when they went to conference USA I asked the AD about wrestling and he said "In no way will this effect wrestling."

Ha.  It was also interesting how in the report I think it called out about how a bunch of the "good" schools left CUSA, which hurt the image of CUSA.   Yet now all of the sudden they are concerned about conference championships particularly in CUSA.

On 4/4/2020 at 11:07 AM, HokieHWT said:

He’s an Ed.D or as we call it a “PhD light”

Do you call it that because you lack respect for educators that bust their ass to reach that level.....or just because you're really cool?

One deals with education, the other deals with medicine.  Apples and oranges, "light" has nothing to do with it.

On 4/5/2020 at 12:28 PM, madcat11 said:

Somebody you confusedly call “doctor,” as a child until you figure it out.

I'm 45 years old, and anyone who has put in the amount of time and effort it takes to achieve a doctorate degree, whether its medicine or education or ??? I refer to them as Doctor.  Has nothing to do with being a child.  It's a matter of respect for what they have accomplished.  

AD answers email questions from JB:

http://www.mattalkonline.com/blog/news-blog/qa-10-questions-with-old-dominion-a-d-dr-wood-selig/

Contradicting himself all over the place in there, geez

But this answer stood out to me:

• Who advised Old Dominion University athletics to cut a sport during the COVID-19 global pandemic when the athletes have no direct access to administrative support, coaching support, academic support other than online video portals? Why would anyone believe this was the time to make this announcement?

WS: It was a difficult time to the make the announcement. It was also critical that the announcement be made at this time. The announcement to the team was planned for immediately following the season in a face-to-face meeting. The timing was balancing two values: we did not want to distract the team from the current season, and we wanted to give them as much notice as possible to find a new program if they wanted to continue to compete or coach.

Isn't this admitting that the decision was already made prior to NCAA's being canceled and thus had nothing to do with COVID-19?

Edited by 1032004
sorry, last sentence shouldn't be part of the quote but can't get it out