CoachJSS

The man who recommended ODU drop wrestling.....

8 hours ago, Lurker said:

Do you call it that because you lack respect for educators that bust their ass to reach that level.....or just because you're really cool?

One deals with education, the other deals with medicine.  Apples and oranges, "light" has nothing to do with it.

I’m not going to explain the joke since you don’t even know that medical doctors are MDs and not PhDs.

Ed.D- practitioners degree, content focused, often no dissertation/thesis required, many for profit online schools offer these degrees. Shaquille O’Neal has one.

PhD- Doctor of Philosophy in *enter content area*, rigorous research AND content focused, requires dissertation that adds new and unique findings to the content area

MD- Medical Doctor

JD- Lawyer

BTW my PhD is in Educational Research and Evaluation and my BS and two MS degrees are in education, so it must be just because I’m really cool, clown.

12 hours ago, HokieHWT said:

I’m not going to explain the joke since you don’t even know that medical doctors are MDs and not PhDs.

Ed.D- practitioners degree, content focused, often no dissertation/thesis required, many for profit online schools offer these degrees. Shaquille O’Neal has one.

PhD- Doctor of Philosophy in *enter content area*, rigorous research AND content focused, requires dissertation that adds new and unique findings to the content area

MD- Medical Doctor

JD- Lawyer

BTW my PhD is in Educational Research and Evaluation and my BS and two MS degrees are in education, so it must be just because I’m really cool, clown.

I would be a little careful generalizing Ed,D programs as often, many, and certain people have them?   Most programs now have programs, even PhD programs, on line. Are there stats that show that most don't require thesis?  I have found the opposite. (maybe they were just good schools?)  Also, does Shaq have an education degree, and a masters in education?  Because most programs require that for an Ed.D?    Anyway, like many things I am sure there are great programs and not so great?  

39 minutes ago, teach said:

I would be a little careful generalizing Ed,D programs as often, many, and certain people have them?   Most programs now have programs, even PhD programs, on line. Are there stats that show that most don't require thesis?  I have found the opposite. (maybe they were just good schools?)  Also, does Shaq have an education degree, and a masters in education?  Because most programs require that for an Ed.D?    Anyway, like many things I am sure there are great programs and not so great?  

I agree and I’m sure there are. I was just stating a common joke told in the field of academia about Doctor of *content area* (DBA, Ed.D, DrPH, Psy.D) degrees. 

14 hours ago, HokieHWT said:

MD- Medical Doctor

JD- Lawyer

So PhD doesn't deal with medicine, and is not a program in medical schools.  Interesting.  You're right, you are just super cool.

I fully realize there are different degrees in same content area.  PhD is most commonly associated in some sort of medical area of practice or research.  But my point is making light of it "just" having an Ed.D is pretty....well it just says alot about the person that's all.  Especially when finding out that person actually is in education.  Like i said....matter of respect.  As such,  I appreciate your work in education.

Edited by Lurker

24 minutes ago, Lurker said:

So PhD doesn't deal with medicine, and is not a program in medical schools.  Interesting.  You're right, you are just super cool.

I fully realize there are different degrees in same content area.  PhD is most commonly associated in some sort of medical area of practice or research.  But my point is making light of it "just" having an Ed.D is pretty....well it just says alot about the person that's all.  Especially when finding out that person actually is in education.  Like i said....matter of respect.  As such,  I appreciate your work in education.

I appreciate that. It was just a joke at the expense of this guy and his work for ODU. Ed.D professionals do a lot of good in the field of education, as practitioners. I was joking that he did all this “research” and analysis, while, more than likely, not being trained in it.

The joke was in poor taste.

1 hour ago, HokieHWT said:

I appreciate that. It was just a joke at the expense of this guy and his work for ODU. Ed.D professionals do a lot of good in the field of education, as practitioners. I was joking that he did all this “research” and analysis, while, more than likely, not being trained in it.

The joke was in poor taste.

And I admit I'm a little sensitive to cracks on educators.  I'm no longer in schools myself but hold the highest regard for them.

Back to the topic, ODU collects nearly $1,700 per student in fees for athletics, embedded in tuition costs. That's an extra *$41M* or so for the athletics department to play with every year. It's just crazy that the AD can't manage a portfolio of sports across a broad and diverse range of interests, esp since it's a mandatory surcharge students have to pay. Instead, he funnels the money into football which finishes at 1-11 on the season and has only had a winning record once a since becoming an FBS school; or men's basketball which has never advanced past the first weekend of the NCAA tournament in school history.

To his credit, the football coach is gone now and ODU says they sell out every home game but Selig's priorities are pretty clear. He was quoted on NBC News last month saying he's a believer in the "Flutie effect", which is controversial, and that bigtime sports is an important marketing & branding tool for universities. ODU students should really be asking Selig WTH he's doing with all that money, or at least have some say in matters since they are funding a non-trivial portion of the school's athletics budget.

Edited by pamela

4 hours ago, TripNSweep said:

Nobody should buy them.  

Letting these mats rot won't bring back wrestling at ODU.  Nor will the $3000 fee elevate ODU football to a level that validates the decision to drop wrestling.

Meanwhile, an affordable mat could give birth to the advancement of a youth program.  Take the butterfly effect from there, our next great wrestler, coach, or administrator could take their first steps in the sport on this mat once dragged to the scrap heap by ODU.

Here's to hoping this mat finds a good home.

Edited by JHRoseWrestling

On 4/16/2020 at 6:45 PM, pamela said:

Back to the topic, ODU collects nearly $1,700 per student in fees for athletics, embedded in tuition costs. That's an extra *$41M* or so for the athletics department to play with every year. It's just crazy that the AD can't manage a portfolio of sports across a broad and diverse range of interests, esp since it's a mandatory surcharge students have to pay. Instead, he funnels the money into football which finishes at 1-11 on the season and has only had a winning record once a since becoming an FBS school; or men's basketball which has never advanced past the first weekend of the NCAA tournament in school history.

To his credit, the football coach is gone now and ODU says they sell out every home game but Selig's priorities are pretty clear. He was quoted on NBC News last month saying he's a believer in the "Flutie effect", which is controversial, and that bigtime sports is an important marketing & branding tool for universities. ODU students should really be asking Selig WTH he's doing with all that money, or at least have some say in matters since they are funding a non-trivial portion of the school's athletics budget.

Interesting topic.  That is alot of money and they aren't alone.  Here is more info

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/education/hidden-figures-college-students-may-be-paying-thousands-athletic-fees-n1145171

Letting these mats rot won't bring back wrestling at ODU.  Nor will the $3000 fee elevate ODU football to a level that validates the decision to drop wrestling.
Meanwhile, an affordable mat could give birth to the advancement of a youth program.  Take the butterfly effect from there, our next great wrestler, coach, or administrator could take their first steps in the sport on this mat once dragged to the scrap heap by ODU.

Agreed. That's $25,000 worth of mats someone will get for a good deal. Should the mats and wrestling room instead be left as a memorial to the team? It's upsetting that the team is gone, not that someone will still use the mats.

Maybe whoever runs the Virginia Duals or whatever the event in VA Beach is called should buy them and if it says “Old Dominion Wrestling” on there should write “bring back” before it.

They were just purchased in 2018?

On 4/16/2020 at 8:45 PM, pamela said:

$,1700 per year per student is a crazy amount of money for college students (or their parents) to be paying to support college athletics.  The whole concept of any institution of higher learning supporting big time athletics program makes little sense

Looks like they are selling their brand new sauna as well. I’m sure none of the wrestlers used that sauna, which is installed in the wrestling room, illegally.

https://www.govdeals.com/index.cfm?fa=Main.Item&itemid=1251&acctid=1092

False. it’s in the coaches locker room which is separate from the athlete locker room.

18 hours ago, IronChef said:

I see, the listing said it was in the wrestling gym, which I took to be the practice area. I stand corrected.

I'm not surprised with the wording on this, shows how much attention to detail the administration actually paid to the program. And I don't want to be the AD there. The leadership allowed this to happen that's also higher than Selig. 

4 hours ago, JasonBryant said:

I'm not surprised with the wording on this, shows how much attention to detail the administration actually paid to the program. And I don't want to be the AD there. The leadership allowed this to happen that's also higher than Selig. 

You should apply if it ever comes open.  

On 4/22/2020 at 1:30 AM, JHRoseWrestling said:

sold for $14K.

On 4/25/2020 at 1:29 PM, JasonBryant said:

Bobby had good feedback... need more than talks, emails, and tweaks... go fundraise the money... it can be done.  

How are colleges marketing wrestling events and who is responsible for it?  Why am I surprised by the number of Kansas colleges that have added wrestling?  Why do I have to seek that out?  What can clubs do to raise awareness for their events and make it compelling to come?  First 5000 fans will be paid $1 cash to watch Larry Early and the boys beat National Runner up Hayden Hildlay again, and put his wolfpack sisters to sleep.  Cheap gimmicks can help self-spread the word.  Cannon out some t-shirts and pay some lucky fan $1 for every pushup she can do.  Bring a decibile reader and see how loud you can chant ODU.  Make it fun to be there with other fans.  Incorporate the dummy scoring page in the event brochure that lists the wifi password, upcoming events, one page scoring system helper, and a link to a video that explains the rules/scoring in 2 minutes or less.  Maybe the fans will learn to like wrestling or maybe they will keep coming and buy the food.  In the brochure, include the club wrestling budget goal, current funds, and request donations over paypal/venmo/cash.  Include a link where they can get more information.

Edited by jross