Jump to content

Recommended Posts

As a result of quarantine boredom, I figured I’d start a transfer megathread. Expecting a lot of movement with coaching changes at Campbell, Navy, Oregon state + ODU wrestlers having to find new homes and general attrition. Rumors, facts, predictions, etc. let’s hear em. 

Edited by DenverWrestler

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Curious to see if anyone from Iowa, penn st, cornell, michigan show up on the portal considering how deep they will be in the next 2 seasons. Perhaps VanAnrooy from Michigan moves closer to home considering Pendleton just got the Oregon State job. Could of course see Nevills leaving back west too considering OSU needs a HWT. Maybe Pendleton's first major impact in through the transfer portal? Who else from those top schools could make an impact at 149, 165, 174, 197, or 285 where OSU has holes?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, DenverWrestler said:

As a result of quarantine boredom, I figured I’d start a transfer megathread. Expecting a lot of movement with coaching changes at Campbell, Navy, Oregon state + ODU wrestlers having to find new homes and general attrition. Rumors, facts, predictions, etc. let’s hear em. 

Nobody goes to Navy because who is their Wrestling coach.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, kyleinthecircle said:

Curious to see if anyone from Iowa, penn st, cornell, michigan show up on the portal considering how deep they will be in the next 2 seasons. Perhaps VanAnrooy from Michigan moves closer to home considering Pendleton just got the Oregon State job. Could of course see Nevills leaving back west too considering OSU needs a HWT. Maybe Pendleton's first major impact in through the transfer portal? Who else from those top schools could make an impact at 149, 165, 174, 197, or 285 where OSU has holes?

Pendleton will have a huge impact on recruiting and the staff he brings in will as well. The portal could definitely play a role here.  One challenge might be where they are in their 9.9 scholarships. They have 1 senior graduating and no senior starters. I think Van Anrooy is a possibility being from Oregon - not sure he transfers as a senior academically when he is close to graduation. Above I mentioned Nevills. .I think they will be okay at 149. They have Stigall there. He is only a sophomore A  little inconsistent but he also had some pretty good wins this season over Maruca, Deblasi, and a couple others.He has some funk.  OSU will be also be fine at 197. They have the freshman JJ Dixon who lost several 2-4 point matches to top 15 guys and beat Jackson Striggow. He made some great strides this year. I think he is going to be a good one.  Along with Brandon Kaylor at 125 , they have some great potential. Of course Turner, Grant Willits, Hunter Willits and Doyle will be fine. It will definitely be interesting to see what happens on the whole landscape. There are some very tough kids stuck being even tougher kids on some teams. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, kyleinthecircle said:

Curious to see if anyone from Iowa, penn st, cornell, michigan show up on the portal considering how deep they will be in the next 2 seasons. Perhaps VanAnrooy from Michigan moves closer to home considering Pendleton just got the Oregon State job. Could of course see Nevills leaving back west too considering OSU needs a HWT. Maybe Pendleton's first major impact in through the transfer portal? Who else from those top schools could make an impact at 149, 165, 174, 197, or 285 where OSU has holes?

I am extremely sad to see Pendleton leave ASU. But he didn’t exactly light the world on fire recruiting at ASU, so I don’t see Oregon State being an easier sell. He is a hell of a coach though. 

Edited by gobraves101905

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, gobraves101905 said:

I am extremely sad to see Pendleton leave ASU. But he didn’t exactly light the world on fire recruiting at ASU, so I don’t see Oregon State being an easier sell. He is a hell of a coach though. 

Hmm, I wouldn’t mind some elaborating there. Pendleton started at the same time as Zeke.  So, are you saying all the top talent like the Valencias, Benick(transferred out), Shields, Maruca, Norfleet, Belshay, Courtney, Teemer and especially #1 Schultz had nothing to do with Chris?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Nicky_Pipes said:

Cary Kolat - Hoping to see some blue chip recruits make their way to the academy under Kolat

0% chance. Blue chips want to continue their freestyle career after college, not spend time in the navy.

ETA enrolling at Navy is not just going to school for 4-5 years and then doing something else. You are literally signing away the college experience and post-grad formative years of your 20s. You are committing to the armed forces for 10 years. No changing your mind and getting a job close to home, no RTC, no deciding to walk away from your crappy first job and go to grad school. You are stuck.

Edited by bnwtwg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, bnwtwg said:

0% chance. Blue chips want to continue their freestyle career after college, not spend time in the navy.

ETA enrolling at Navy is not just going to school for 4-5 years and then doing something else. You are literally signing away the college experience and post-grad formative years of your 20s. You are committing to the armed forces for 10 years. No changing your mind and getting a job close to home, no RTC, no deciding to walk away from your crappy first job and go to grad school. You are stuck.

I largely agree with what you're saying about blue chips, but worth pointing out the "being stuck" aspect can be somewhat mitigated with the gap year at the prep academys. I remember Conor Youtsey committed to Army and did a year at their prep academy then changed his mind and committed to Umich. So it's a double edged sword, but you can essentially offer a kids a "trial year" with no loss of eligibility if they are on the fence.

Also, it didn't really work out, but Quentin Hovis was pretty blue chip when made his commitment to Navy. 

Edited by lurk_nowitzki

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, bnwtwg said:

0% chance. Blue chips want to continue their freestyle career after college, not spend time in the navy.

ETA enrolling at Navy is not just going to school for 4-5 years and then doing something else. You are literally signing away the college experience and post-grad formative years of your 20s. You are committing to the armed forces for 10 years. No changing your mind and getting a job close to home, no RTC, no deciding to walk away from your crappy first job and go to grad school. You are stuck.

Can anyone join the Army RTC or is it just for those in the military? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, gobraves101905 said:

I am extremely sad to see Pendleton leave ASU. But he didn’t exactly light the world on fire recruiting at ASU, so I don’t see Oregon State being an easier sell. He is a hell of a coach though. 

If that was in fact his main role at ASU - we all know that belongs to Pritts. Besides, it won't be just Chris it will be his staff. You don't think it will be an easier sell with a new, young staff that has a name and previous success. Um....sure. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Nicky_Pipes said:

Cary Kolat - Hoping to see some blue chip recruits make their way to the academy under Kolat

You're not going to see any knuckle draggers heading to the academy because of Kolat. 
Primary focus is academics and military service,  not wrestling. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Idaho said:

Can anyone join the Army RTC or is it just for those in the military? 

Post-grad RTC-esque: Army WCAP (World-Class Athlete Program) and Air Force WCAP both require members to be active enlisted and you are required to perform standard job duties aka not just focus on training. Navy and Marines offer no such program.

Edited by bnwtwg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Idaho said:

If that was in fact his main role at ASU - we all know that belongs to Pritts. Besides, it won't be just Chris it will be his staff. You don't think it will be an easier sell with a new, young staff that has a name and previous success. Um....sure. 

An easier sell, sure. An easy sell, not a chance. Would guess it would be a much harder sell then ASU. And I don’t think they have done an over the top job. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, MSU158 said:

Hmm, I wouldn’t mind some elaborating there. Pendleton started at the same time as Zeke.  So, are you saying all the top talent like the Valencias, Benick(transferred out), Shields, Maruca, Norfleet, Belshay, Courtney, Teemer and especially #1 Schultz had nothing to do with Chris?

To say he had nothing to do with it is silly. But his best work was done on the mat. And it was great work. You think Pendleton played a big role in bringing a Greco guy in?  Zeke’s USA ties lead the way in year 1 and did the same with Schultz I believe. Zeke  also has ties in the Northeast, probably helping with recruiting there more than Pendleton. Don’t get me wrong, I 1000% think Pendleton will be greatly missed. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, gobraves101905 said:

An easier sell, sure. An easy sell, not a chance. Would guess it would be a much harder sell then ASU. And I don’t think they have done an over the top job. 

I guess that depends on what the criteria is for an easy sell - In my mind there are way more programs that are a harder sell than an easy sell. Overall, OSU is in a better place and the recruiting will get better. ASU has everything you could want there, but for whatever reason they lose a few guys along the way - significant guys. They shouldn't have the holes in their lineup they have but  that's due to guys leaving of course and a couple will be filled next year. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, bnwtwg said:

Post-grad RTC-esque: Army WCAP (World-Class Athlete Program) and Air Force WCAP both require members to be active enlisted and you are required to perform standard job duties aka not just focus on training. Navy and Marines offer no such program.

There are more than a few WCAP athletes who aren't active duty.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Manville is still ROTC which means he will be active duty upon graduation from PSU, so it’s not quite the same. Pretty sure that WCAP requires either five years previous active duty or current active duty, but I’m not 100% certain anymore.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Idaho said:

I guess that depends on what the criteria is for an easy sell - In my mind there are way more programs that are a harder sell than an easy sell. Overall, OSU is in a better place and the recruiting will get better. ASU has everything you could want there, but for whatever reason they lose a few guys along the way - significant guys. They shouldn't have the holes in their lineup they have but  that's due to guys leaving of course and a couple will be filled next year. 

They have had holes every year for the past 4 years. Program should be rolling along at a much better rate. Too many on the mat and off the mat problems that shouldn’t be happening at this stage. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...