Jump to content
Rookburger

Does anybody honestly believe Zain could hang with Metcalf

Recommended Posts

I don't think 33 career losses is a fair representation of The Party's senior year level. He made a big and final push.  Not Retherford level, but very high level. He didn't collapse against Metcalf, so I don't know why people think Retherford would. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, IronChef said:

Palmer had 33 losses in college. He was very good, but Zain would have handled him as badly as anyone else. He certainly wouldn't have ever beaten Zain. 

Palmer improved IMMENSELY by his Senior season.  Also, a vast majority of those losses(26) came his first 2 seasons as a TRUE Freshman and Sophomore in arguably the toughest weight class of all time!

I would also say the amount of losses is a true testament to the quality and depth of competition during Metcalf's run compared to Retherford's.  Palmer had multiple losses to Metcalf, Schlatter, Churella and Jenkins, but also beat them.

For instance, his losses at NCAA's: 2007-Churella, Schlatter  2008:  Metcalf, Churella, Schlatter  2009:  Metcalf, Ruschell  2010: Metcalf

Retherford simply DID NOT see nearly the depth and quality of competition during his 3 seasons at 149.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, hammerlockthree said:

Yianni would eat him alive on his sweep too. 

I think Yianni's wrestling IQ would control the match.

Very possible.  I'm trying to think if I can remember Metcalf every went against anybody who wrestled with a style that involved supreme body control like Yianni's, and so I'm struggling to envision the match, but my thought is that Yianni's slickness and single leg defense would carry the day, probably Yianni scoring early, and Metcalf coming on late, but not able to finish enough.

Edited by VakAttack

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just clicked through the Metcalf/Party  B10 and NCAA matches.  Great matches.  No way in hell Metcalf beats Retherford.  His  conditioning has to be overrated.  Palmer's tan was so thorough and complete, he couldn't possibly have had enough time to get in great shape.

Edited by Plasmodium

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Plasmodium said:

Just clicked through the Metcalf/Party  B10 and NCAA matches.  Great matches.  No way in hell Metcalf beats Retherford.  His  conditioning has to be overrated.  Palmer's tan was so thorough and complete, he couldn't possibly have had enough time to get in great shape.

#FakeNews

Everybody knows a truly great tan is evened out between the T-Bed and some natural light.  What do you do in natural light?  You move.  Boom, cardio, roasted.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, VakAttack said:

#FakeNews

Everybody knows a truly great tan is evened out between the T-Bed and some natural light.  What do you do in natural light?  You move.  Boom, cardio, roasted.

Get serious!  Natural light during an Ohio winter?!! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
My memory is a little fuzzy. 
  
Did Metcalf ever have issues on bottom, besides the spladle incident?
Palmer rode him once. I think Patacsil rode him for a bit in one of their matches before getting reversed. The match-by-match PDFs on Iowa's site are corrupted, so I can't check, but I don't even remember Metcalf ever going to OT. Now admittedly that is purely memory, so could easily be faulty biased by time and Fandom.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, VakAttack said:

Palmer rode him once. I think Patacsil rode him for a bit in one of their matches before getting reversed. The match-by-match PDFs on Iowa's site are corrupted, so I can't check, but I don't even remember Metcalf ever going to OT. Now admittedly that is purely memory, so could easily be faulty biased by time and Fandom.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
 

Metcalf, I believe went into OT with Schlatter and Palmer in BIG finals.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/6/2020 at 1:13 AM, Rookburger said:

Metcalf and Dustin were even Steven until Dustin got hurt. I take Dustin over Zain too, prior to his injury. I think Dustin was too slick.

Dustin was pretty slick as a FR, but he wasn't at the level Zain reached as a NC. Thing about Schlatter is he was going to continue improving until the injury bug hit him. Shame what injuries did to his career,  I think he had a great shot at being a 4 timer.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, Housebuye said:

I bet you I could’ve beaten Zain when he was in middle school

I can't answer for headache but I'd have absolutely hammered Zain when he was in middle school, or even now for that matter. The 100+ pound weight advantage is purely window dressing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Metcalf, I believe went into OT with Schlatter and Palmer in BIG finals.
Definitely not these two matches. Metcalf beat Schlatter in regulation, I just rewatched that match last week. I didn't re-watch the Palmer match, but I'm almost sure you're wrong. I think Metcalf was winning in the 3rd, but then was put to his back in a scramble.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, TobusRex said:

Dustin was pretty slick as a FR, but he wasn't at the level Zain reached as a NC. Thing about Schlatter is he was going to continue improving until the injury bug hit him. Shame what injuries did to his career,  I think he had a great shot at being a 4 timer.

Oh my, now we are anointing 1 timers as 4 timers, that’s great.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, TobusRex said:

I can't answer for headache but I'd have absolutely hammered Zain when he was in middle school, or even now for that matter. The 100+ pound weight advantage is purely window dressing.

I’d take Zain against you right now with ease.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Mokoma said:

I’d take Zain against you right now with ease.

Of course you would, you know nothing whatsoever about wrestling. Since you are apparently dullwitted, let me explain something to you that people who actually wrestled already know: the weight classes exist for a reason.

Edited by TobusRex

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, TobusRex said:

Of course you would, you know nothing whatsoever about wrestling. Since you are apparently dullwitted, let me explain something to you that people who actually wrestled already know: the weight classes exist for a reason.

Any time you got your $1000 let me know.  I don’t care if you weigh 250 or not.    

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...