Lunaticfringe

Finally! Hendricks vs Churella 2006 NCAA Final at 165

Agree.  Probably the worst hose job in NCAA finals history.  The second of the two third period takedowns was suspect; the first one was simply a horrible call.  I think if they would have had replay like they do today and had Michigan coaches thrown in the brick, Churella would have ended up with another backpoint and Hendricks with one less takedown, making the final score 10 - 7 Churella.  (I assume replay wouldn't have overruled the no pin call at the end of the second period, but replay might have shown that the match should have never gone to a third period in the first place.)

16 minutes ago, Icemeister said:

Agree.  Probably the worst hose job in NCAA finals history.  The second of the two third period takedowns was suspect; the first one was simply a horrible call.  I think if they would have had replay like they do today and had Michigan coaches thrown in the brick, Churella would have ended up with another backpoint and Hendricks with one less takedown, making the final score 10 - 7 Churella.  (I assume replay wouldn't have overruled the no pin call at the end of the second period, but replay might have shown that the match should have never gone to a third period in the first place.)

You can't review a fall. But the tds, sure!

7 hours ago, Icemeister said:

I doubt it was the worst. 

Hendricks definitely got the benefit of every single call, but all but the first TD of the third were at least justifiable and as sharp as Hendricks was on his feet, he could easily have just taken Churella down on the next go.

The deciding takedown looked like two to me; Hendricks had both ankles with Churella sitting down, and I'm not sure I've ever seen that not called (except for out of bounds calls obviously).

Unfortunately, you can't tell from the broadcast whether Hendricks was decked at the end of the second, and I certainly can see the argument for three backs, but a point difference, in a match with so much Hendricks offense, doesn't strike me as the hugest deal.

Hendricks won that match by getting away from an incredible top wrestler, and outwrestled Churella for 6:55.

Edited by whaletail

1 hour ago, whaletail said:

I doubt it was the worst. 

Hendricks definitely got the benefit of every single call, but all but the first TD of the third were at least justifiable and as sharp as Hendricks was on his feet, he could easily have just taken Churella down on the next go.

The deciding takedown looked like two to me; Hendricks had both ankles with Churella sitting down, and I'm not sure I've ever seen that not called (except for out of bounds calls obviously).

Unfortunately, you can't tell from the broadcast whether Hendricks was decked at the end of the second, and I certainly can see the argument for three backs, but a point difference, in a match with so much Hendricks offense, doesn't strike me as the hugest deal.

Hendricks won that match by getting away from an incredible top wrestler, and outwrestled Churella for 6:55.

I have to agree and I am a state of Michigan guy, even when they wrestle for UofM. 

1.) I have no issue with the non fall call. Nearly every time a cradle is locked up the call takes some time since it is often hard to find an angle to verify both shoulders are flat. This is especially so since the position came from defending a single leg and the ref wasn’t going to immediately be in position to see and call the fall. 

2.). Churella wrestled super defensively and Hendricks was getting to his legs at will. I can’t blame the ref for getting caught up in that and being quite liberal with the takedown calls. Still, I would say 1 or 2 of those probably should have been called fleeing the mat instead of a takedown. 

24 minutes ago, MSU158 said:

I have to agree and I am a state of Michigan guy, even when they wrestle for UofM. 

1.) I have no issue with the non fall call. Nearly every time a cradle is locked up the call takes some time since it is often hard to find an angle to verify both shoulders are flat. This is especially so since the position came from defending a single leg and the ref wasn’t going to immediately be in position to see and call the fall. 

2.). Churella wrestled super defensively and Hendricks was getting to his legs at will. I can’t blame the ref for getting caught up in that and being quite liberal with the takedown calls. Still, I would say 1 or 2 of those probably should have been called fleeing the mat instead of a takedown. 

And watch the assistant ref on at least one of them. Kessel looked for help and didn't get any.

Even if it wasn't a pin, which I believe it was, that was a 3 pt. nearfall, not 2... Blatinick or the other announcer even said it.  That's in addition to everything else that went on.  Kessel get's suspended for a year the way I understood it, then gets inducted into the NWHOF as a meritorious official??????  Tell me that was 2 pts. at 40 secs....that's not a question either.

Edited by fadzaev2

22 minutes ago, fadzaev2 said:

Even if it wasn't a pin, which I believe it was, that was a 3 pt. nearfall, not 2... Blatinick or the other announcer even said it.  That's in addition to everything else that went on.  Kessel get's suspended for a year the way I understood it, then gets inducted into the NWHOF as a meritorious official??????  Tell me that was 2 pts. at 40 secs....that's not a question either.

I think we all agree that the first takedown of the third wasn't two, and I'd be fine with three near fall as well.

Nonetheless, Johnny outwrestled Churella for all but the cradle, and earned the win with relentless attacks.  I don't recall Churella taking a single shot the entire match, Johnny took him down legitimately three times, and was in deep at least three other times (including when he was cradled).

I think the better wrestler that day won the match, and while I absolutely agree that it was poorly reffed (and in Hendricks' favor), Churella wasn't robbed.

2 hours ago, fadzaev2 said:

This wasn't a pin, but the Metcalf/Caldwell one was....Metcalf's whole back was up on Caldwell's torso....needed to trade officials for these 2 matches....pinned by fadzaev6, on Flickr

Calling a fall certainly wouldn't have been controversial, and may, in fact, have been correct, but I understand why a ref might not be as quick to call it in the NCAA finals.  Especially as Hendricks had been controlling the match until then.

I'd love to see some data, but I wouldn't be surprised to learn that refs are slower to call falls in the NCAA finals (and maybe even in the tourney itself) than in the regular season.

1 hour ago, whaletail said:

Calling a fall certainly wouldn't have been controversial, and may, in fact, have been correct, but I understand why a ref might not be as quick to call it in the NCAA finals.  Especially as Hendricks had been controlling the match until then.

I'd love to see some data, but I wouldn't be surprised to learn that refs are slower to call falls in the NCAA finals (and maybe even in the tourney itself) than in the regular season.

It was also hometown/hometown crowd!!!  Just sayin!!!

I don’t think it was as bad as many people say either. The second to last td was bad the others were all close calls and I actually think he got them right. Definitely agree with the no pin call. The picture everyone likes to post shows the bottom of his back flat, but from the position of his inside shoulder it looks like that shoulder blade would be off the mat. Impossible for us to see and no way the ref should call that. Near fall is very close to a five count, but looks like :04 on the clock when he gets in criteria. Hendricks was definitely the aggressor so I like the close ones going his way. Plus, let’s say the ref doesn’t give him the tying takedown (the worst call). Then he only needs one more takedown to tie it and could get the other in overtime. Right guy won imo 

I just watched and think that it was the first time I viewed the entire match since the day it was wrestled.  I must have watched bits and pieces over the years which people posted in support of Churella or, more likely, in opposition of Hendricks.  But, after re-watching now, I have much less sympathy for Churella than I have for the last 14 years.  He really did not do much and it's almost unbelievable how easy Hendricks was getting to his legs the entire match.

Churella was so dangerous with that defensive cradle. He was legitimately baiting Hendricks the entire match and was just very unlucky he landed it when he did. 

With that said, he would have been stalled out of the match under today’s rules. He would immediately work to go outside the circle once Hendricks got to his legs. 

Also, remember that cylinder takedown rule was pretty new then. Refs were calling takedowns much more liberally if the action went on and you had to legs below the knee. Even if the defensive wrestler was still facing him, negating control. 

For years, I've heard about this match, but had never seen the third period because the only youtube video stopped at the end of the second. 

This may be unpopular, but I don't think it's quite as bad as it was made out to be. To me, there was one really bad call and that was the go behind on the edge. That was clearly not a takedown. Kessel obviously let the moment/crowd get to him in the third period. I can understand how it happened too. I've seen it many times. One wrestler is dominating the whole match and gets caught. After recovering, he continues to dominate, though losing on the scoreboard. The ref gets involved, whether he realizes it or not, to help prevent the lesser wrestler from stealing the match with one move.

The cradle was pretty sick, but Churella did absolutely nothing else the entire match. It was a complete stall fest. And I'm saying that as someone who isn't a big Hendricks fan. My favorite match of all time is the Perry final the next year.

The stall warning was warranted, though it came at an awkward time as Churella dove in to prevent from backing straight out of bounds. It could have come earlier. The first takedown was correct. Hendricks had both ankles secure for about two seconds, beyond reaction time. I won't comment on the non-fall call. It's hard to see. Wouldn't have a problem with it, but not upset at the no call. The nearfall is absolutely correct assuming the espn clock is correct. He does not land in nearfall criteria until 4 seconds left, meaning it's impossible for Churella to get 3. Tough break for Churella, but the correct call unless the clock was ahead. I don't think that's the case as you can see Kessel count the full set and it's his assistant who tells him after that he only got to 4 before the clock ran out. I've already spoken about the go behind takedown that shouldn't have happened. The final takedown was also correct. Hendricks secured both ankles, Churella dropped to his butt, and Hendrick's head was not buried (a la Steiber-Oliver). That's not even controversial in my opinion.

In the end, there's really only 1 really bad call in this match. I think you could make the case that it was evened out by the lack of stall calls against Churella early. Hendricks did all the work the entire match and I think probably should have gotten a point along the way, which cancels out the 2 for 1 exchange on the bad takedown call. Overall, I'm very disappointed by this final period. I was promised a once in a lifetime robbery. This wasn't that.

Churella definitely hosed on the 2NF and second-to-last TD. However, it seemed like they stopped action a bit too soon on two of Hendricks shots though - one where he had a good lock on the single and the other when he stood up. At the end of the day, the better and more aggressive wrestler won.