Lunaticfringe

Finally! Hendricks vs Churella 2006 NCAA Final at 165

Unless the definition of the anatomical area for the back is different in college than in HS, the photo shows that both sides of the back are in contact with the mat; playing it back in regular speed verifies it as well, and college only requires a 1 sec hold in that position. It's not just the shoulders; they call it back points for a reason. The pin should have been called; I promise you John Smith would have not complained.

Edited by fullnelson

I doubt anyone could really research this, but what percentage of falls are called when a pinning combination starts with less than 5 seconds left in a period?  I would think it quite low. In fact, how many falls are called inside 4 seconds, period?  

Refs have reaction time too. Even more so with cradles where angles are usually more difficult to find to clearly see both shoulders are on the mat at the same time. 

Maybe a fall should have been called. Maybe it was actually called correctly. It wasn’t nearly as clear as many say. 

1 hour ago, fullnelson said:

Unless the definition of the anatomical area for the back is different in college than in HS, the photo shows that both sides of the back are in contact with the mat; playing it back in regular speed verifies it as well, and college only requires a 1 sec hold in that position. It's not just the shoulders; they call it back points for a reason. The pin should have been called; I promise you John Smith would have not complained.

Amen!

2 hours ago, fullnelson said:

I’m not sure he was flat, but it was so close (and obscured from fans and cameras) only the ref could tell. 

I think there’s a chance that Kessel didn’t see the shoulder blades throughout the entire sequence, and most refs at that level aren’t going to call a pin unless they literally can see it.

4 hours ago, MSU158 said:

I doubt anyone could really research this, but what percentage of falls are called when a pinning combination starts with less than 5 seconds left in a period?  I would think it quite low. In fact, how many falls are called inside 4 seconds, period?  

Refs have reaction time too. Even more so with cradles where angles are usually more difficult to find to clearly see both shoulders are on the mat at the same time. 

Maybe a fall should have been called. Maybe it was actually called correctly. It wasn’t nearly as clear as many say. 

From my limited observations, it seems refs are calling pins quicker in the last few years. They don't seem to make extra sure there is a pin, and are quicker to slap the mat.

Anyone else see this trend as well? 

19 hours ago, Jim L said:

From my limited observations, it seems refs are calling pins quicker in the last few years. They don't seem to make extra sure there is a pin, and are quicker to slap the mat.

Anyone else see this trend as well? 

I have noticed this too and feel it’s being called better now.  No matter how much time is left in a period, if it’s 4 seconds or 40 seconds, if the fall is there, it’s there.  

23 hours ago, cangemi said:

Every call went in Hendricks favor

Unquestionably, but as long as the better wrestler, on the day, wins, it's hard to get worked up about it.

Ahead going into the third, and with choice, Churella gave the match away, not the refs.

1 hour ago, whaletail said:

Unquestionably, but as long as the better wrestler, on the day, wins, it's hard to get worked up about it.

Ahead going into the third, and with choice, Churella gave the match away, not the refs.

Yep.  One of the TD calls was terrible, and the pin was questionable.  But Churella hit a big move for a lead, and then ineffectively ran for the entire 3rd period.  And if the TD isn't called it's fair to assume Hendricks takes him down again if needed.  Churella offered zero resistance the whole 3rd period.  

Yep.  One of the TD calls was terrible, and the pin was questionable.  But Churella hit a big move for a lead, and then ineffectively ran for the entire 3rd period.  And if the TD isn't called it's fair to assume Hendricks takes him down again if needed.  Churella offered zero resistance the whole 3rd period.  
Churella rode Hendricks for almost half the period.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

I was surely one of the loudest booers at that event.  And no one cheered louder when Perry beat him in the finals. 

But I do have to admit Churella should have had more stall calls.  He barely did anything.