Sign in to follow this  
SamStall365247

2000 NCAA Championships

Anyone else watch the 2000 NCAA Finals on ESPN 2 yesterday? I remember watching this back in the day as a second or third year wrestler, but with no real idea of what was going on  

• Mat looked like the mat you roll out from the boiler room when you need to add a 9th mat to your tourney at the last second. 
  • Not a ton of offense. Many low scoring matches. Lots of guys diving in on head inside singles. Not a lot of lateral movement or set ups. Cael looked light years ahead of everyone from a technical perspective. Was also impressed by Juergens. Counter offense also less evolved, but with glimpses of some funk from Cody and Cael. 
  • Out of bounds rules were horrible. It was either 125/133 where the match was basically stopped every 10/12 seconds due to the referee blowing the whistle. This, along with less offense, made it hard to watch at times. When did the OOB rules change?
  • Coin flip was awful. How long did the coin flip era last? 
  • Why did Wes Hand choose top in third? Still scratching me head on that. 
  • Tirapelle was jacked. Glad he got his title the following year. 
  • Totally forgot about Byron Tucker. Tough!

Hope ESPN keeps giving us the oldies!

42 minutes ago, jon said:

What's this?

Overtime was just one sudden victory period, followed by one :30 tiebreaker period. Top/bottom choice was determined by either first offensive points or coin-flip. Ride the guy out, you win. Give up the escape, you lose.

The SV period was reduced to 1:00 starting in the 2000-01 season. In 2000, it was still 2:00.

Edited by ISUChip

5 hours ago, SamStall365247 said:

Anyone else watch the 2000 NCAA Finals on ESPN 2 yesterday? I remember watching this back in the day as a second or third year wrestler, but with no real idea of what was going on  

• Mat looked like the mat you roll out from the boiler room when you need to add a 9th mat to your tourney at the last second. 
  • Not a ton of offense. Many low scoring matches. Lots of guys diving in on head inside singles. Not a lot of lateral movement or set ups. Cael looked light years ahead of everyone from a technical perspective. Was also impressed by Juergens. Counter offense also less evolved, but with glimpses of some funk from Cody and Cael. 
  • Out of bounds rules were horrible. It was either 125/133 where the match was basically stopped every 10/12 seconds due to the referee blowing the whistle. This, along with less offense, made it hard to watch at times. When did the OOB rules change?
  • Coin flip was awful. How long did the coin flip era last? 
  • Why did Wes Hand choose top in third? Still scratching me head on that. 
  • Tirapelle was jacked. Glad he got his title the following year. 
  • Totally forgot about Byron Tucker. Tough!

Hope ESPN keeps giving us the oldies!

Worst ? decision by a wrestler in NCAA history. Where was the coach(es) who should have been screaming at the top of their lungs and running out on the mat, charging the score table, throwing towels.

I like the 2 minute OT on the feet.  The OOB rules were horrendous, as well as the non stall calls.  Cody Sanderson was running away the entire match as Juergens was attacking.  Interesting that Cael was going to a half for his turns for the most part.  Brock did not have any offense from his feet. 

I agree it was a strange period.  More stalling called just a few years before this than anytime since.  When they stopped calling it, I believe that was the time when scrambling and eventually today's grand parents of defense exploded.  I like the rules better now more than any time in my lifetime.

On 4/6/2020 at 11:24 AM, Cooch1 said:

Worst ? decision by a wrestler in NCAA history. Where was the coach(es) who should have been screaming at the top of their lungs and running out on the mat, charging the score table, throwing towels.

Mena chose top vs Guerrero in the 97 finals too.  That prevented Iowa from having 6 champions and adding even more to their all time record point total that year.  

17 hours ago, TripNSweep said:

Mena chose top vs Guerrero in the 97 finals too.  That prevented Iowa from having 6 champions and adding even more to their all time record point total that year.  

Interesting, both Iowa guys. Lesson not learned.

On 4/6/2020 at 2:24 PM, Cooch1 said:

I get that he didn't want to go under Lesnar, but why not take neutral.  He may well have won it in regulation.

Was that Lesnar's only title, or did he get one more?

On 4/8/2020 at 4:53 PM, whaletail said:

I get that he didn't want to go under Lesnar, but why not take neutral.  He may well have won it in regulation.

Not sure but i don't think neutral was an option. It was either top or bottom. Lesnar was 2nd as a junior then first as a senior.

On 4/8/2020 at 2:53 PM, whaletail said:

Lesnar wrestled juco before he got to Minnesota.  He went 5-1-2-1 overall.  His first season in college he got shellacked in the quarters by Vladimir Matyushenkowho was around 190 lbs.  

Neutral was an option.  Quisel of Boise State chose it at 157.

I believe the announcers said Hand chose top in the 3rd because he had 54 seconds of riding time built up from the 2nd period when Lesnar chose down.  Lesnar got out quick in the 3rd, and I believe the tying TD was at the buzzer, so he never did get riding time.

13 hours ago, whaletail said:

How could neutral not have been an option?

I was referencing a different time when you only had a choice of top or bottom, late 90's? It was either ride for 30 secs. or get an escape. The coin flip decided it. I think it was a red/green "coin" and whoever won the flip got choice. Most guys took down as very few could ride worth a s##t.

12 hours ago, Cooch1 said:

I was referencing a different time when you only had a choice of top or bottom, late 90's? It was either ride for 30 secs. or get an escape. The coin flip decided it. I think it was a red/green "coin" and whoever won the flip got choice. Most guys took down as very few could ride worth a s##t.

I believe the question was about Hand's choice to start the 3rd (top instead of neutral), not the TB choice. Hand was down 1-0 after 2 (with 0:50 RT) and chose top to start the 3rd. Lesnar got out early to make it 2-0 before Hand got 1:00 RT. Then two stalling points against Lesnar made it 2-2 and they went to OT.

Edited by ISUChip

On 4/7/2020 at 11:05 PM, TripNSweep said:

Gable let Mena make the call; it was a tough call because Guerrero was a beast on top with legs, and Mena had ridden him over 30 sec in regulation. Mena had chosen neutral in regulation, but their past history favored Guerrero, so either way, the edge went to Guerrero. (he was just the better mat wrestler)

Edited by fullnelson