Bronco

Jesse Vasquez - CA four time State champ - College decision

https://www.dailybulletin.com/2020/04/01/excelsior-charters-jesse-vasquez-is-the-sun-bulletin-boys-wrestler-of-the-year/

According to this newspaper article from one week ago Vasquez has visited Michigan and Ohio State and plans to visit Princeton, Duke and "Arizona" - after these Universities open back up and travel restrictions are lessened. 

Someone needs to inform the writer of this article that "Arizona" does not have a wrestling program.  I am "ASSUMING" he meant Arizona State.

7 minutes ago, Bronco said:

https://www.dailybulletin.com/2020/04/01/excelsior-charters-jesse-vasquez-is-the-sun-bulletin-boys-wrestler-of-the-year/

According to this newspaper article from one week ago Vasquez has visited Michigan and Ohio State and plans to visit Princeton, Duke and "Arizona" - after these Universities open back up and travel restrictions are lessened. 

Someone needs to inform the writer of this article that "Arizona" does not have a wrestling program.  I am "ASSUMING" he meant Arizona State.

Well sure ... but Tucson is a better place to visit so ...   ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

New recruits are only allowed to make five official visits - to 5 separate schools.  That is the NCAA limit on official visitations.  However they can make "unofficial" visits (on their dime) if they choose to do so.

Edited by Bronco
add

Yep - he could add as many unofficial visits as he wants. He has made 2 official visits - the article actually says he will "probably" visit the other 3 schools - so that could change.   If he wants Ivy then Princeton is the up and coming team and they already went to visit him. The virus has put a lot of kids in limbo having to wait so long- unfortunate for kids to have to figure this out so late. With Pendleton leaving ASU and now Kelly leaving, I wonder if that affects his decision - especially with Kelly leaving. 

21 hours ago, Bronco said:

Someone needs to inform the writer of this article that "Arizona" does not have a wrestling program. 

It aids in social distancing to be the only member of the team. At least that's their pitch.

21 hours ago, Greatdane67 said:

Can any of our Cali peeps explain the 4 high schools in 3 years?  

Four high schools in four years? When are kids and parents going to figure out that this strategy usually does not pay off long term. No wonder this kid hasn’t signed. 

4 hours ago, SamStall365247 said:

Four high schools in four years? When are kids and parents going to figure out that this strategy usually does not pay off long term. No wonder this kid hasn’t signed. 

I meant 3 high schools in 4 years but the question still remains. Any Cali people out there to explain?

I'm just speculating from looking at what schools he went to, first year at St John Bosco which is a parochial school in Los Angeles county, then second year at Santiago, a public school in Corona which is in Riverside county, so either the family moved, wanted to stop paying tuition, something like that, then last two years at Excelsior Charter high school also in Riverside county, maybe they didn't like the curriculum at the public school. It may not be nefarious, you never know. 

If he followed a coach or transferred for wrestling, someone closer to the situation would have to say.

Edited by potentiallydangerous

Could be grades or something academic that might have been related to a scholarship at St. John Bosco, but if I were to also speculate it's probably because the family relocated. CIF I believe does not allow athletes to transfer to follow a coach. Also transferring once is doable under CIF rules, but twice would be very tough to pull off without losing eligibility unless there was a legitimate reason.

His sisters go to school in Corona, so it kind of makes sense. Plus, wrestling practice was probably at Excelsior's main campus in Victorville - that's a pretty crummy drive from Corona, but a downright suicidal commute from where he was from in Los Angeles. I wouldn't wish that daily drive on my worst enemy.

16 hours ago, SamStall365247 said:

If Princeton's interested, it's probably not a big deal.

Ohio state seems unlikely to me due to the talent next season already on the roster For next season in that area of weight classes . Particularly with Anthony E now on board . Not sure if Sasso stays 49 either . 

On 4/11/2020 at 8:42 AM, SamStall365247 said:

Forget grades, it is usually a red flag for character issues or nutty parents.

Although not axiomatic, those with the grades and test scores to get into Princeton rarely have character issues (but among those that do, they're probably much more serious).  Add blue chip D1 wrestling prospect to the mix, and it's even less likely.

Nutty parents I'll give you.

That said, although I wouldn't be surprised if he switched schools for academic and/or wrestling purposes, four does seem high.

Edited by whaletail

On 4/8/2020 at 8:02 AM, Bronco said:

He is committing tonight at 8pm EST on his IG. 
Perry pulls kids in from Cali and helps turn Delgado and IMar into NCAA champs. Perry announced at ASU and the next day Vasquez announces. Coincidence. I sure hope not. 

Edited by gobraves101905

1 hour ago, gobraves101905 said:

Pushed to tomorrow. Has turned into a clown show. 

Just looked through his Instagram, everything regarding his recruitment is trolling. That’s annoying as a fan and I wouldn’t appreciate if I was a coach recruiting him. 

Another great addition for the Sun Devils.  Vasquez COULD very well be ASU's starter at 149 lbs for 2021.  And he fills one of the two most pressing areas of need for ASU, i.e., 149 and 165.

I could easily see Arizona State's 2021 lineup being the following:

125 - Brandon Courtney - 2021 RS Junior - 2020 PAC 12 champion

133 - Michael McGee - 2021 RS Junior - Two-time MAC champion (2018 & 2019)

141 - Julian Chlebove - 2021 RS Freshman

149 - Jesse Vasquez - 2021 True Freshman

157 - Jacori Teemer - 2021 RS Sophomore - 2020 PAC 12 champion

165 - Trey Munoz - 2021 RS Freshman

174 - Anthony Valencia - 2021 RS Senior

184 - Cade Belshay - 2021 RS Junior

197 - Kordell Norfleet - 2021 Senior? or RS Junior?

285 - Cohlton Schultz - 2021 RS Freshman

Edited by Bronco
addition

1 hour ago, Bronco said:

Another great addition for the Sun Devils.  Vasquez COULD very well be ASU's starter at 149 lbs for 2021.  And he fills one of the two most pressing areas of need for ASU, i.e., 149 and 165.

I could easily see Arizona State's 2021 lineup being the following:

125 - Brandon Courtney - 2021 RS Junior - 2020 PAC 12 champion

133 - Michael McGee - 2021 RS Junior - Two-time MAC champion (2018 & 2019)

141 - Julian Chlebove - 2021 RS Freshman

149 - Jesse Vasquez - 2021 True Freshman

157 - Jacori Teemer - 2021 RS Sophomore - 2020 PAC 12 champion

165 - Trey Munoz - 2021 RS Freshman

174 - Anthony Valencia - 2021 RS Senior

184 - Cade Belshay - 2021 RS Junior

197 - Kordell Norfleet - 2021 Senior? or RS Junior?

285 - Cohlton Schultz - 2021 RS Freshman

Valencia 165 and Munoz 174 is what Willie said on twitter.That wouldn't shock me Trey has put on some size