Sign in to follow this  
CoachJSS

College Wrestling could be a thing of the pass...

2 hours ago, Katie said:

I’d prefer to watch tournaments that matter over a ton of dual meets that don’t (in part because, as it stands, the best wrestlers regularly avoid each other). 

So would you prefer to watch tournaments that matter or dual meets that matter?

(for that matter, would you rather watch tournaments that don't matter or dual meets that don't matter?)

There’s no way college football is cancelled, at least for the P5 schools. Maybe no fans in the stands, but the games will be played. With that much money at stake they’ll just test everyone before every game if that’s what it takes. If enough rapid tests aren’t available they’ll test everyone on Thursday, get the results by Friday at the latest. The TV mon y is just too big for P5 schools. Lack of ticket sales will certainly hurt, but playing the games brings in enough TV money and alumni support for them to wade through this mess and stave off the potential financial reckoning.

Season could be pushed back if they can’t start practice early enough, but the P5 schools are going to play football this upcoming season. Non-conf games might be cancelled and the number of conference games might be reduced too (depending on how much the start of the season is delayed)...but I’ll be anyone P5 football gets played in some form this upcoming season. 

It’s the non P5 schools we should obviously be worried about...especially the MAC. First EMU, now ODU...that’s 2 MAC programs in 2 years even before the corona-related financial fallout.

55 minutes ago, MDogg said:

There’s no way college football is cancelled, at least for the P5 schools. Maybe no fans in the stands, but the games will be played. With that much money at stake they’ll just test everyone before every game if that’s what it takes. If enough rapid tests aren’t available they’ll test everyone on Thursday, get the results by Friday at the latest. The TV mon y is just too big for P5 schools. Lack of ticket sales will certainly hurt, but playing the games brings in enough TV money and alumni support for them to wade through this mess and stave off the potential financial reckoning.

Season could be pushed back if they can’t start practice early enough, but the P5 schools are going to play football this upcoming season. Non-conf games might be cancelled and the number of conference games might be reduced too (depending on how much the start of the season is delayed)...but I’ll be anyone P5 football gets played in some form this upcoming season. 

It’s the non P5 schools we should obviously be worried about...especially the MAC. First EMU, now ODU...that’s 2 MAC programs in 2 years even before the corona-related financial fallout.

Well they postponed or canceled the NBA, NHL and MLB.  How is P5 football anymore likely to move forward without fans than those were/are?

Edited by Broomstick

9 minutes ago, Broomstick said:

Well they postponed or canceled the NBA, NHL and MLB.  How is P5 football anymore likely to move forward without fans than those were/are?

Have you not heard of p5 special consideration? Stay tuned for the miracle

44 minutes ago, Broomstick said:

They seem to be working towards trying to play MLB with no fans as well.   NBA and NHL are different situations IMO since they were in the middle of their seasons when the lockdowns started.

1 hour ago, Broomstick said:

If college football was a spring (or even summer) sport it 100% would’ve been cancelled too. Testing everyone before each game obviously wasn’t an option for the teams that were playing when the pandemic erupted. That won’t be the case by the Fall, there will be ample excess testing capacity.

1 hour ago, Cooch1 said:

Have you not heard of p5 special consideration? Stay tuned for the miracle

Yeah it’s a miracle that the college football season doesn’t start until 6 months after those things were cancelled. 

Wrestling will have to be more creative. Endowments and raising the money privately will be important.

Coaches could teach and coach as part of pay.

Cut traveling to national tournaments and wrestling regionally. Close to Midlands you go to Midlands not Southern Scuffle or Vegas.

I know , not what you want to hear. Save the programs once lost hard get back.

3 hours ago, cangemi said:

Wrestling will have to be more creative. Endowments and raising the money privately will be important.

Coaches could teach and coach as part of pay.

Cut traveling to national tournaments and wrestling regionally. Close to Midlands you go to Midlands not Southern Scuffle or Vegas.

I know , not what you want to hear. Save the programs once lost hard get back.

Not sure how Midlands saves money, do you realize the price of hotels etc in Chicago vs Chattanooga?  

Some programs are endowed, some with parts endowed - scholarships or coach.  But if you had $15M sitting around with nothing good to invest in are you going to put it into this sport unless you've got 50 friends also with $15M willing to do the same?  Also, everyone in the sport knows the only thing that matters is the B10 (look at Hodge etc) so as long as there are 10 teams in the B10 conference and we have a B10 tournament all should be happy correct?  ;_;  else maybe get Carl, Tommie, and the conference to think about the bigger picture and the sport.

Regarding a coach/teach program, sure you could have:

Brands Bros - Pheasant Hunting 101

John Smith - Catfishing with your Pet Dog.  He could bring in bro Mark or Pat to guest lecture on Noodling when you Forgot your Tackle.

Carl - Auto Speill Correct four Dumies

Mark Perry jr -  ahh ... nevermind 

None of this addresses the big problem in college sports which is the rich FB & BB programs (and a couple RTCs) just kept getting richer with their tv deals, shoe deals etc thus driving up the multi $M salaries requiring all to chase the dollars.  Then you add things like requirements for free meals to all etc it drives out the lower budget programs & minor sports.  Then take away the golden goose for one season and it really falls apart.  :(

2 hours ago, ionel said:

Some programs are endowed, some with parts endowed - scholarships or coach.  But if you had $15M sitting around with nothing good to invest in are you going to put it into this sport unless you've got 50 friends also with $15M willing to do the same?  Also, everyone in the sport knows the only thing that matters is the B10 (look at Hodge etc) so as long as there are 10 teams in the B10 conference and we have a B10 tournament all should be happy correct?  ;_;  else maybe get Carl, Tommie, and the conference to think about the bigger picture and the sport

In the past 20 seasons there have been 12 hodge winners from outside the B10. Not disputing the B10’s dominance but not the best supporting datapoint. 

3 minutes ago, MDogg said:

In the past 20 seasons there have been 12 hodge winners from outside the B10. Not disputing the B10’s dominance but not the best supporting datapoint. 

Wasn't a reference to "dominance." 

The ODU story was just on my local sports talk radio station (106.7 the FAN DC). This was the first time I have heard wrestling mentioned on this station. They linked the ODU situation with Cincinnati's decion to drop men's soccer. The argument was what we have been talking about: AD's are going to use Covid-19 as cover to "trim the fat."  I don't gamble because I suck at prognostication (see my BIG picks), but if I did I would bet that we are about to witness the collapse of NCAA D1 wrestling ... Dead pool:  x < 10 years.

Edited by jackwebster