Sign in to follow this  
lurk_nowitzki

Jaden Abas status

1 hour ago, lurk_nowitzki said:

I saw that Flo did a lineup preview for Stanford next year and there was zero mention of Abas whatsoever. Does anyone know if he's leaving Stanford? Or just a glaring omission by Flo?

I don't have Flo - Are they assuming Merwe is the starter at 149? That could be the reason. 

4 minutes ago, Idaho said:

I don't have Flo - Are they assuming Merwe is the starter at 149? That could be the reason. 

Maybe they are. But they did a paragraph write up for every weight class and discussed backup options at some weights, so it's hard to imagine a kid who won the southern scuffle wouldn't even get a mention.

Edited by lurk_nowitzki

1 hour ago, lurk_nowitzki said:

Maybe they are. But they did a paragraph write up for every weight class and discussed backup options at some weights, so it's hard to imagine a kid who won the southern scuffle wouldn't even get a mention.

Okay - I don't have Flo so I couldn't see it - So there is no mention of him even as a backup? Do they have Merwe as the starter? 

3 hours ago, lurk_nowitzki said:

I saw that Flo did a lineup preview for Stanford next year and there was zero mention of Abas whatsoever. Does anyone know if he's leaving Stanford? Or just a glaring omission by Flo?

Sounds to me as if it's simply a very poorly researched lineup preview by Flo to me.   How can anyone doing a lineup preview for Stanford wrestling for next season be so clueless as to not even mention Abas?   Even if he was in the transfer portal wouldn't that be worthy of mentioning if that was the case?

14 minutes ago, Bronco said:

Sounds to me as if it's simply a very poorly researched lineup preview by Flo to me.   How can anyone doing a lineup preview for Stanford wrestling for next season be so clueless as to not even mention Abas?   Even if he was in the transfer portal wouldn't that be worthy of mentioning if that was the case?

Which is why it's weird....Flo would not miss this. They know exactly what weight and where Jaden will be. He is still listed as a student but that doesn't mean anything one way or the other. 

Well either Flo (which I will never subscribe to again) either screwed up when they put this preview together OR Abas is headed elsewhere.  It's likely one or the other - right?  Since he's still on Stanford's team roster https://gostanford.com/sports/wrestling/roster I don't think the latter is very probable.

But what the heck - let's just start a completely un-founded rumor - I'll say Abas is transferring to Arizona State as ASU is in real need of a 149 lb'er for next season.

Edited by Bronco

"Nick Zeller-Singh is a student at Arizona State studying Sports Journalism. In addition to writing for FloWrestling, he appears on his college radio station, does play-by-play, and covers a variety of sports as a beat writer. Follow him on Twitter."

It looks like this is an article they "outsourced" to an ASU journalism student. Nothing against him specifically and I wish him the best with his career, but I think in their race to compile content their standards have slipped a touch from what they once were. That said they also seem to outsource a lot OK State stuff to Seth Duckworth, and he crushes it. Just seems like the type of omission that somebody would have caught and corrected a few years ago.

"""Misinformation""" """Relentlessly negative feedback""" """You just don't want to pay for good content"""

This is one of those reasons why FloWrestling pushes yearlong lock-in.

Edited by jon

29 minutes ago, Bronco said:

Well either Flo (which I will never subscribe to again) either screwed up when they put this preview together OR Abas is headed elsewhere.  It's likely one or the other - right?  Since he's still on Stanford's team roster https://gostanford.com/sports/wrestling/roster I don't think the latter is very probable.

But what the heck - let's just start a completely un-founded rumor - I'll say Abas is transferring to Arizona State as ASU is in real need of a 149 lb'er for next season.

rumors.jpg

The issue with that happening, is if you sign Jaden you'll also have to sign his father Gerry.

Gerry Abas has always been his coach and on each high school coaching staff. Don't know his connection with Stanford, but sure he's involved somehow.

Is Coach Jones at ASU willing to accept Gerry's terms?

24 minutes ago, lurk_nowitzki said:

"Nick Zeller-Singh is a student at Arizona State studying Sports Journalism. In addition to writing for FloWrestling, he appears on his college radio station, does play-by-play, and covers a variety of sports as a beat writer. Follow him on Twitter."

It looks like this is an article they "outsourced" to an ASU journalism student. Nothing against him specifically and I wish him the best with his career, but I think in their race to compile content their standards have slipped a touch from what they once were. That said they also seem to outsource a lot OK State stuff to Seth Duckworth, and he crushes it. Just seems like the type of omission that somebody would have caught and corrected a few years ago.

That's on both the writer and editor who this goes through before publishing. Don't know how you miss Abas. Still listed as student, still listed as a wrestler. Of course with everything on hold and no in person recruiting going on the pause button may be in effect here. Not saying that this is the case, and outside of the fact that Stanford is a top school,  I always wondered why he didn't end up at his  family alma mater.   Is Gerry still mad at Troy? 

1 minute ago, Tommy Payan said:

The issue with that happening, is if you sign Jaden you'll also have to sign his father Gerry.

Gerry Abas has always been his coach and on each high school coaching staff. Don't know his connection with Stanford, but sure he's involved somehow.

I'll wager he accepted terms from Mr/Mrs Valencia

4 minutes ago, Tommy Payan said:

You need to splash some water on your face Tommy...............i.e., wake up.   It should be patently obvious I was JOKING here.

2 minutes ago, Bronco said:

You need to splash some water on your face Tommy...............i.e., wake up.   It should be patently obvious I was JOKING here.

No problem Bronc, you know I'm an ASU fan and would love to see Jaden in cardinal and gold.

Just pointing out the obvious. It's no big secret that Gerry has always been closely involved with Jaden's wrestling career here in California, could that have been an issue with Jaden attending 3 different high schools in 4 year? I don't know for sure, but this conversation has come up a few times with high school/JC and college coaches I know. Basically, if you want Jaden you have to take Gerry also.