4 minutes ago, VakAttack said:

Gilman is definitely better now than he was in 2017, but his competition is better now. Fix did not wreck Lee, but he did close both matches better to earn those wins.

Four guys have legit shots at our spot in my mind: Lee, Fix, Gilman, and Gross.

I am supremely bummed Gilman left Iowa, but I get it.

nobody on this forum was a bigger Fix dik rider than i have been over the years...

but, i just can't do it anymore... the no offense in big matches... his trap arm is getting figured out... add in the off the mat issues... i just do not see him as our rep anymore... i would love to be wrong...

2 minutes ago, VakAttack said:

I do not believe any of them are legit threats this cycle to actually run a tournament gauntlet due to: age/weight cut, lack of defense, and lack of offense respectively. You listed Arujau twice. Aruna could make a jump, though.

Essentially, I could see them beating one of the top 4, but not two or three.

Vito is the only one with legitimate upside... in one match, he could potentially make someone raise an eyebrow...

nobody on this forum was a bigger Fix dik rider than i have been over the years...
but, i just can't do it anymore... the no offense in big matches... his trap arm is getting figured out... add in the off the mat issues... i just do not see him as our rep anymore... i would love to be wrong...
I agree, but the other top 4 guys still have to attack him to get their own points, and he's a potent counterwrestler, as we know.

The off-the-mat-issues-that-shall-not-be-named are a concern for availability, obviously lol.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

2 minutes ago, VakAttack said:

I agree, but the other top 4 guys still have to attack him to get their own points, and he's a potent counterwrestler, as we know.

The off-the-mat-issues-that-shall-not-be-named are a concern for availability, obviously lol.

Lee will have no problem attacking...

Gilman is a hand fighting killer that knows he can push Fix around...

Gross is the wild card to me and based purely on size... i still have no idea how he makes 57 two days in a row and performs... plus his style is not super conducive to real wrestling... having said that, he did win the farrell...

again, i hope i am wrong about Fix and he figures out some things... obviously, it's a much more interesting weight with him in it...

i just went and rewatched Gilman v Fix in rome... just in case i was not remembering it right...

fix never came close to scoring on Gilman... not once...

Gilman took one committed shot and scored points off of it...

it was the most one sided victory in their entire series of matches...

nothing at all ever in doubt...

Gilman stayed in his face the entire match and Fix had no answers...

Dan Dennis coming back to Iowa... 

i have no idea how good a coach he is, but, his guys did convince him to wrestle Greco at the open last year, so, clearly his guys love him...

i read something on the mostly odin awful hawkeye forum that i had forgotten...

Dennis took Lee as a training partner to rio...

makes a lot of sense to bring someone in that has an already good relationship with the only wrestler you have who has a realistic chance of making the olympic team... 

2 hours ago, headshuck said:

Seems like a good cultural fit. Odd a former Olympic medalist wasn’t recruited though. Maybe they needed to move quickly?

I know, someone is going to point to

Schlatter and others. This is Iowa.

Maybe I'm not following, but Perry wasn't an Olympic medalist. He didn't even wrestle at the senior level. Off the top of my head, I'm only aware of one Olympic medalist coaching an RTC right now and that's Slay at Penn. What is odd about this for you? There aren't a lot of Olympic medalists around that are involved in coaching AND don't already have a great gig locked in.

Hoping nothing but good things for dennis, but the hire lacks any real flair in my opinion. Is this a long term hire, or a short term thing? While dennis is a stud in his own right does this really do much to help with recruiting new talent?

On 4/11/2020 at 4:39 PM, LJB said:

he game planned Lee... those matches went exactly how he wanted them to... all he had to do was make Lee wrestle a full match... he planned to give up the first period and then wear him down... it happened exactly like that in both matches... i know he planned this because i talked with derek before the tourney... 

guess what?

it went exactly like they planned...

to be fair, it is a bit of a hyperbolic statement designed to elicit the response it has...

I've never seen folks base so much on one weekend that is 5-years old....  It really is funny and actually sad in a way.  It might be the biggest weekend of this kids career...at least that's how so many treat it that are close to him.  It really is treated as the highlight of the kids career.  Suriano took Fix down and Lee crushed Suriano.  Those results were much more recent than five years ago.  Things change and one weekend doesn't determine future outcomes.  The Fix that wrestled last year would not have been favored against Lee.  Actually, I don't think it would be close.  Lee has continued to evolve and it shows and Daton simply doesn't have the offense.  He's a tough, gritty wrestler with sound fundamentals, well coached, but the fact is that Fix didn't take a single shot in the NCAA finals and had the crowd booing against him.  I hope Fix isn't suspended, because I want to see future match ups at 57kg.  It's a great weight class with many quality opponents and great match-ups, but there is something telling about continually pointing to a match that goes back almost a half a decade.  :-). It's almost sad that you're still living that far in the past.      

33 minutes ago, mistydawn said:

I've never seen folks base so much on one weekend that is 5-years old....  It really is funny and actually sad in a way.  It might be the biggest weekend of this kids career...at least that's how so many treat it that are close to him.  It really is treated as the highlight of the kids career.  Suriano took Fix down and Lee crushed Suriano.  Those results were much more recent than five years ago.  Things change and one weekend doesn't determine future outcomes.  The Fix that wrestled last year would not have been favored against Lee.  Actually, I don't think it would be close.  Lee has continued to evolve and it shows and Daton simply doesn't have the offense.  He's a tough, gritty wrestler with sound fundamentals, well coached, but the fact is that Fix didn't take a single shot in the NCAA finals and had the crowd booing against him.  I hope Fix isn't suspended, because I want to see future match ups at 57kg.  It's a great weight class with many quality opponents and great match-ups, but there is something telling about continually pointing to a match that goes back almost a half a decade.  :-). It's almost sad that you're still living that far in the past.      

It was brought up as a point and laugh retort to someone who was using a practice room match from 3 years ago as a qualifier...

I know this stuff is super complicated to follow...

4 hours ago, LJB said:

It was brought up as a point and laugh retort to someone who was using a practice room match from 3 years ago as a qualifier...

You do realize Gilman and Lee have wrestled in the room in the past year right?

Either way, we will find out soon enough who is better.  Hopefully...

8 hours ago, LJB said:

Intellect and wrestling acumen is not and the lack thereof is clearly apparent in your post....   

On 4/11/2020 at 4:50 PM, LJB said:

Vito is the only one with legitimate upside... in one match, he could potentially make someone raise an eyebrow...

I agree with this post, Vito is tough and has a far better style for freestyle than folk style.  

1 hour ago, AnklePicker said:

That’s not what Gilman said. 

I don't think that's completely true. Gilman said they stopped wrestling during the NCAA season, so it's only been a few months. He specifically mentioned Spencer having to compete every week and the college season grind as a possible reason. If I'm remembering correctly, there might actually be a promo clip from right at the beginning of the season of an Iowa practice and you can see Gilman and Lee wrestling in the background. I'll try to find it.

face it... Gilman and Lee have not trained with each other for sometime...  they just haven't

why this is so hard to comprehend is beyond me... they both had plenty of other partners outside of the other... they did not need to train together... and clearly one of them did not want to train with the other...

and what happened in practice 3 years ago is totally irrelevant to anything that might happen tomorrow...