tightwaist

Who were the greatest characters in the modern era?

7 hours ago, Fletcher said:

Except they're obviously in on the prank. You have to block out all common sense to think these are legit. videos.

Hope he doesn't run into Bo Jordan during one of these stunts.

The first couple he did with the college kid and construction worker seemed legit but the rest are clearly set up

18 hours ago, tightwaist said:

I’ve always been intrigued by wrestlers that play by their own rules. These guys are usually the free-spirit types who have larger than life personalities, yet are also elite talents.  We all know about Gable, Cael and many of the best evers.  While we admire their work ethic, skill set and talent, they are probably pretty boring in general.  

Nuthin about Americans only. Jadidi counts.

38582784330_5fe90e2632_o_d.jpg

26434618478_9cbf7270b1_o_d.jpg

39501189764_3d3beb5b25_o_d.jpg

I wondered when someone would finally get around to Jean.

"You know, I grew up boxing and wrestling," Gable said. "But did you know my left ear is a boxing ear, not a wrestling ear? That's my most cauliflowered ear. I got banged up in college in a boxing match in a dorm room late at night at Iowa State.

"Chuck Jean was on our team. He was really good (two-time NCAA champ), but he got in trouble and had to transfer to Adams State College. Anyway, he got me with a roundhouse. That's what happened to my left ear."

Edited by jammen
Gable quote

Who was the crazy guy (18-20 years ago) who would put on 3 or 4 singlets on top of each other, then wrestle with posts that held ropes to keep people behind. He would constantly talk with himself while wrestling imaginary opponents. He actually wrestled in the 2001 Veterans tourney (got waxed) in Vegas. I've never seen anyone more nutty in wrestling.

15 minutes ago, fullnelson said:

Who was the crazy guy (18-20 years ago) who would put on 3 or 4 singlets on top of each other, then wrestle with posts that held ropes to keep people behind. He would constantly talk with himself while wrestling imaginary opponents. He actually wrestled in the 2001 Veterans tourney (got waxed) in Vegas. I've never seen anyone more nutty in wrestling.

Mad Murray?

Doc -- thanks. The Chuck Jean stories are part of wrestling folklore, including the infamous deer roasting story. Chuck was a terror on the mat and a nice guy off the mat but could go off the rails from time to time. I have known both Chuck and Ray Brinzer for many years, and communicate with Ray regularly yet today. He is VERY intelligent  -- we talk more about philosophy and history than we do wrestling!

I heard some pretty crazy chit about Sanders and Jean.  Faking drinking a bottle of vodka after weigh-ins with the Soviet Union.  Heard he lit one of their guys hair on fire at a weigh-in.  I have no verification and trust me, this is said out of total respect for Rick Sanders.  I watched him in the 72 Oly's and was the conspiracy theorist who thought he was offed while hitch hiking.  Totally wrong by the way, but he was something else.  I know John Smith made the low single famous, but Rick was the first guy I remember using it.  It wasn't even related to John's, he was just down in his Spider Man low stance, and if you got close, he would snag your ankle.  I coached in Colorado, and both the college and high school coaches there  in Alamosa during that time were influential in my coaching career.  Real difference makers imho.  As per Chuck, I've heard about the deer situation in Ames, but not too much else, except he was one of the toughest men anyone had ever met.  Those of you that haven't been around miners and loggers just kind of compare them to the railroad and oil patch and farming boys from the 60's and 70's.  I promise you, Alamosa, Colorado has had their share of tough guys.

I’ve always found the Palacio schtick to be tiring. That interview at nationals had me rolling my eyes thinking, “what a douche.”

Askren and Hendricks top the list for me. One of my favorite parts about Hendricks was that he was such a heal for his NCAA career, then made quite the turn to good guy when he went MMA. I’ve talked to MMA-only fans and they can’t comprehend him being the bad guy when I talk about his NCAA career.

22 minutes ago, TLS62pa said:

I’ve always found the Palacio schtick to be tiring. That interview at nationals had me rolling my eyes thinking, “what a douche.”

Askren and Hendricks top the list for me. One of my favorite parts about Hendricks was that he was such a heal for his NCAA career, then made quite the turn to good guy when he went MMA. I’ve talked to MMA-only fans and they can’t comprehend him being the bad guy when I talk about his NCAA career.

What interview? 

3 hours ago, CoachWrestling said:

What interview? 

maybe this one? https://www.orlandosentinel.com/sports/highschool/wrestling/os-sp-wrestling-dylan-palacio-ncaa-20170317-story.html

3 hours ago, TLS62pa said:

Edited by GockeS