sisi

Gilman going to Penn St

1 hour ago, Gantry said:

I get the training with your competitor thing, but OTTs were supposed to be a week ago.  It wasn't a problem pre-COVID so I don't think it's totally a Spencer thing.   With the timing of the Perry thing, it's pretty clear the HWC is having funding issues or changes, was likely the biggest factor if I had to guess.

I agree that’s probably a factor as well. However, I do think the training situation with Lee changed too. Lee was focused on the NCAA season and hasn’t focus on freestyle in years. I’m guessing Gilman was the focus for the freestyle coaches at HWC until recent events. 

"Emergency FRL" haha. I get the feeling this might be a big deal to everyone except for Gilman, the HWC and the NLWC. The only question I guess is whether the chemistry will work. Talk about oil and water!

32 minutes ago, pamela said:

"Emergency FRL" haha. I get the feeling this might be a big deal to everyone except for Gilman, the HWC and the NLWC. The only question I guess is whether the chemistry will work. Talk about oil and water!

I don’t think it’s a huge loss for HWC because they have other elite lightweights, but it is a huge pickup for PSU. They desperately need something/someone to attract elite lightweights and a great training partner like Gilman could be it. I think this is more beneficial then them picking up Snyder. For HWC, Perry would be a big loss if that turns out to be true, but if it’s just Gilman leaving everyone will understand why and it won’t hurt them at all.

52 minutes ago, Eagle26 said:

I don’t think it’s a huge loss for HWC because they have other elite lightweights, but it is a huge pickup for PSU. They desperately need something/someone to attract elite lightweights and a great training partner like Gilman could be it. I think this is more beneficial then them picking up Snyder. For HWC, Perry would be a big loss if that turns out to be true, but if it’s just Gilman leaving everyone will understand why and it won’t hurt them at all.

Looks like the Perry move to Tempe is pretty true  

https://t.co/Qt9GHOZhdf

Wow never thought I would see this one happen... I need to watch brands interview to see what his public take is. No money to keep gilman around? Gilman not feeling love with lee possibly being the focus of the coaches? The twitter post he made announcing his departure was very short and to the point without much love or thankfulness towards iowa in any way

8 hours ago, Asa Packer said:

"Think about the cash it is going to cost the club."

NLWC has more $ than they know what to do with.

How do they have so much money? Donations or something else?

What is wrong with hopping to a better gig every few years? Do any of you think that iowa would keep him around for that time if he wasn't performing? There are some obvious issues at iowa/hwc right now, whether that is money or something else is speculation. You don't lose a big name coach and your top international competitor in the same day unless things are bad.

16 hours ago, pamela said:

Mega is recovering from surgery and said he will be back on the mat. I thought he was working at his dad's investment advisory firm to pay his own way through at NLWC but I guess Pitt makes more sense.

Is JRod still with the NLWC?

Nico is downstairs drilling right now.

I guess the Penn State guys never saw the video of Gilman at Fight Night several years ago. If anyone can post that video, it would be a great addition to your Covid 19 must watch list. 

On 4/11/2020 at 2:17 AM, Perry said:

What is wrong with hopping to a better gig every few years? Do any of you think that iowa would keep him around for that time if he wasn't performing? There are some obvious issues at iowa/hwc right now, whether that is money or something else is speculation. You don't lose a big name coach and your top international competitor in the same day unless things are bad.

I agree, nothing wrong with making necessary moves, i.e. Cary Kolat

On 4/11/2020 at 8:39 AM, IronChef said:

From 2014-2018, NLWC received over $8 million in donations. Most (over $5 million) came in 2014.

https://apps.irs.gov/pub/epostcard/cor/251408517_201812_990_2020011317020261.pdf

Ira Lubert seeded the funds for renovations to the PSU Wrestling Room named after his PSU Wrestling Coach, Rich Lorenzo. It has been rumored that his money funded a rich contract for Cael Sanderson to lure him from ISU. However, that is not true. He also was the primary donor initially to the NLWC, which makes up the majority of the $8 million referenced above. Ira Lubert has also donated to a number of Penn State causes, both athletic and academic. He also is not a billionaire, not even close. The NLWC has a number of members that support the club financially (as you can see from the tax filing that you attached). Annual giving has increased from $500,000/year to over $1,000,000/year. The NLWC is the premier RTC without a doubt. It is likely that they will continue to attract top Senior Level Wrestlers going forward. It is what it is. It is definitely an advantage for Penn State when it comes to recruiting college talent. The question is, how do you address it as a question of fairness? If you limit the RTCs, you hurt USA Wrestling. If you disaffiliate RTC's from Universities, you lose the funding. Donors are definitely university driven. It sounds like Iowa has raised some money to build a new wrestling center, and tOSU and Rutgers have built new wrestling facilities. Why no money is going to their RTCs themselves is the question.

Don't and won't like Gilman.

But if he helps Robbie Howard, RBY, Nick Lee and Penn State wrestlers get better and achieve success, then credit to him.

Regardless, I'll still want to see Spenser Lee make the Olympic team. My care factor of who comes in and represents NLWC is near zero.