Sign in to follow this  
irani

Burrough message to Iranian fans

https://www.khabarvarzeshi.com/fa/news/254453/ویدیو|-ابراز-علاقه-فوق-العاده-ستاره-کشتی-آمریکا-به-ایران

Here is my translation.  Also, he posted a video where he mimicked the two most common Iran cheers, and I must say, he nailed it

According to sports news, Jordan Burroughs, the great star of American wrestling, once again showed his interest in Iranians. Burroughs, who has fond memories of participating in the World Wrestling Cup in Iran and Kermanshah and was impressed by the fine hospitality of our people, uses every opportunity to express his love of the Iranians.

The quarantine days were a good opportunity for the American wrestling star to show kindness towards Iran again due to the outbreak of the corona virus. "I want to express my interest in the amazing Iranian fans again," Burroughs posted an interesting video on his personal page, praising cheering style of Iranian fans. There is nothing more enjoyable than having Iranian fans and spectators. I miss another match in Iran!

This was the second time Burroughs' greeted Iranians in recent days. A few days ago, the American wrestling star, in a message to the Iranians, wished them success in the fight against Corona and wrote: I pray for you. We in the United States are also infected with the coronavirus, but we hope and pray with love. I know you are hopeful and praying there too. I am sure that doctors and nurses in Iran are working hard to overcome this crisis and return to normal life and wrestling.
I hope you stay home safe, take care of each other and show love to each other. The virus is very tough, but if we are united, we will win. I miss you, I love you and I hope to see you soon.

Let me tell you, this guy is so popular in Iran, if he visits there for 5 years, he will not have to  pay for any meals out of his own pocket!  He will be recognized and mobbed in the streets!

Edited by irani

That would be pretty cool to see a wrestler get treated with the fanfare of a popular athlete from a bigtime sport. To see him get mobbed like people would Lebron or Christiano Ronaldo would be great.

36 minutes ago, BTC said:

That would be pretty cool to see a wrestler get treated with the fanfare of a popular athlete from a bigtime sport. To see him get mobbed like people would Lebron or Christiano Ronaldo would be great.

In Iran, he IS a popular athlete from a bigtime sport!

9 minutes ago, irani said:

Found a few good pictures of Burrough when he went to Iran for the world cup.  He is being treated like the super star that he is.  He is LOVED over there

See the source image2017-freestyle-world-cup-usa-wrestler-jordan-burroughs-welcomed-by-fans-photo-credit-unitedworldwrestling-in-instagram.jpg0-30.jpg

Can you translate? And is that clapping over the head or a  separate symbol of appreciation?

It says : "video of burrough being amazed at the loving reception he received at this match today"

I think they are just clapping over their heads

Here is another video I found of his match in Iran.  I don't do if you can tell but the fans are screaming "Jordan, Jordan" the whole match

https://varzeshvideo.com/?p=16856

Edited by irani

3 hours ago, irani said:

I don't have an account with Flo Wrestling, but there is an article about this very subject

https://www.flowrestling.org/articles/5061400-iranian-fans-shower-team-usa-with-love

Perhaps someone who does, can tell us what it says

Here are most of the posts about Jordan Burroughs, although all the US athletes were well treated.  There are other social media posts as well but these are the main ones about Burroughs.

There are few competitions that USA Wrestling places a higher priority on than the Freestyle World Cup. For executive director Rich Bender, it is his personal favorite event, in no small part due to the atmosphere in places like Kermanshah, Iran, where this year's iteration is being held on Thursday and Friday.

Below are some of our favorite social media posts to give you all an idea of the type of warm reception U.S. wrestlers have been receiving in Iran, even after it appeared they might not be able to wrestle in the event. 

23 hours ago, gimpeltf said:

In Iran, he IS a popular athlete from a bigtime sport!

Wrestling is indeed a bigtime sport in Iran.  However, it is nowhere as popular as football (soccer) these days.

The football players make all the money (specially the ones who get to play to Europe), and in general are even better recognized than the wrestlers.

Someone like Hassan Yazdani who won an Olympic gold medal will have good recognition, but the rest of the wrestler will only be recognized by a sizeable but niche group of fans.

Wrestling is still popular enough to sell out the stadium for any major event

Edited by irani

On 4/12/2020 at 2:37 PM, irani said:

Wrestling is indeed a bigtime sport in Iran.  However, it is nowhere as popular as football (soccer) these days.

The football players make all the money (specially the ones who get to play to Europe), and in general are even better recognized than the wrestlers.

Someone like Hassan Yazdani who won an Olympic gold medal will have good recognition, but the rest of the wrestler will only be recognized by a sizeable but niche group of fans.

Wrestling is still popular enough to sell out the stadium for any major event

How did wrestling become so popular in Iran? My understanding is that there are traditional forms of wrestling throughout Iran.

If that’s correct, do Greco and freestyle serve as a sort of common wrestling style for all Iranians? Do people watch the traditional styles?

Edited by Katie

1 hour ago, Katie said:

How did wrestling become so popular in Iran? My understanding is that there traditional forms of wrestling throughout Iran.

If that’s correct, do Greco and freestyle serve as a sort of common wrestling style for all Iranians? Do people watch the traditional styles?

Hi Katie:

Wrestling has been popular in Iran since the times of the Persian Empire (which covered Iran, Turkey, Armena, Dagestan, Ossetia, and Azerbaijan) Traditionally the sport was seen as a way to promote "inner strength through outer strength." Those involved were meant to embody kindness and humility.

The wrestling in Iran historically been freestyle, with certain regions (Mazandaran, Azerbaijan, Kermanshah, Khorassan and of course Tehran being regions with the best wrestlers.

Greco roman wrestling does not have the history that FS does in Iran.  in fact the whole country was pleasantly shocked when in 1969 Iran won its first Gold medal in GR.

In 1983 another Iranian wrestler won a silver in GR.  His name was Mohammad Bana

then in 2001 Hassan Rangraz won another gold in GR.

In 2005 they appointed Mohammad Bana as the GR coach, and GR wrestling took off, Iran started winning medals including Gold in the olympics.

Interesting enough, the regions that excel in GR wrestling are completely different than the ones that excel in FS wrestling.  Southern provinces seem to excel in GR wrestling where as northern ones are dominant in FS.

15 hours ago, Katie said:

How did wrestling become so popular in Iran? My understanding is that there are traditional forms of wrestling throughout Iran.

there are traditional styles in so many places. some of them are not active anymore because of freestyle

and yes in certain places traditional styles are much more popular.

3359092_809.jpg

2 hours ago, fadzaev2 said:

Today, I consider Jordan Burroughs one of our greatest ambassadors in the sport of wresting, and he has been for a couple of years now.  Very Special person!!!!!

I agree with you.  I think he is by far the best ambassador I have seen since the late Dave Schultz.

2 hours ago, wrestfan said:

there are traditional styles in so many places. some of them are not active anymore because of freestyle

and yes in certain places traditional styles are much more popular.

3359092_809.jpg

@Katie, I should point out that if you ever have any questions about Iran wrestling, Wrestfan is the man to ask.  The man is an encyclopedia of Iranian wrestling.  If there is something he doesn't know about, then it's fake news!

Edited by irani

Are there any parallels between East Asian martial arts and traditional Persian wrestling? I always wondered whether Iranians thought that wrestling had a deep significance beyond sports psychology. 

1 hour ago, Katie said:

Are there any parallels between East Asian martial arts and traditional Persian wrestling? I always wondered whether Iranians thought that wrestling had a deep significance beyond sports psychology. 

well not really but I think there are some similarities, actually I'm no expert on East Asian Martial arts to do the comparison.

but the wrestling roots in Iran are in "Zurkhaneh Sports" most of Iranian freestyle wrestlers from 50-60 years ago were from Zurkhaneh, even though I believe most of current wrestlers never entered a Zurkhaneh , this is not popular anymore, not attractive for younger generation at all, there is even a wrestling competition in Zurkhaneh being called "Pahlawani wrestling"

41 minutes ago, wrestfan said:

well not really but I think there are some similarities, actually I'm no expert on East Asian Martial arts to do the comparison.

but the wrestling roots in Iran are in "Zurkhaneh Sports" most of Iranian freestyle wrestlers from 50-60 years ago were from Zurkhaneh, even though I believe most of current wrestlers never entered a Zurkhaneh , this is not popular anymore, not attractive for younger generation at all, there is even a wrestling competition in Zurkhaneh being called "Pahlawani wrestling"

Interesting, thanks.