Threadkilla

How old is Echemendia?

I tried to look it up yesterday and saw that Willie Saylor got lambasted for asking the same question.    Echemendia posted a group of videos on twitter asking if his style had changed.  The first video he was wrestling in the 2014 Cuba Cadet championships,   based on the rule book that would make him 15 or 16  at the time and 21 or 22 now.   I'm just curious.  I know some of the kids that go on LDS missions are early 20's when first enrolling.  

1 hour ago, Threadkilla said:

I tried to look it up yesterday and saw that Willie Saylor got lambasted for asking the same question.    Echemendia posted a group of videos on twitter asking if his style had changed.  The first video he was wrestling in the 2014 Cuba Cadet championships,   based on the rule book that would make him 15 or 16  at the time and 21 or 22 now.   I'm just curious.  I know some of the kids that go on LDS missions are early 20's when first enrolling.  

Cadets, UWW that is, are 15-17 in the year in question. He could have been born in 1997, 98, 99. So 20-23 depending on what month his BD is and assuming Cuba would not lie about his birth.

11 minutes ago, hammerlockthree said:

he wrestled in the last fargo it should matter for that.

Yes, and it was a major issue there and as far as I know they had his paperwork to prove he was 19. Whether that's his true age or not I don't know.

Yes, i got blasted for it. But I didn't even say he was too old. i said everyone was buzzing in the arena asking the question. there was just about a damn line of coaches going up to the head table questioning it.

as it turns out - and in the process of getting accepted to college - he had to use his transcripts from Cuba as they wouldn't accept those from just his 1 year in AZ.

he graduated from HS in 2017 or 2018. I forget which. 

i never mentioned it or said 'i told you so' (1) b/c i never said it to begin with!  2) b/c I like Anthony and  don't care to see anyone bash him and 3) as posted above, he's in college now and it doesn't really matter.

I say it here and now only because it's like the worst secret ever. there was like 20 college coaches at ironman with pictures of his cuban transcripts on their phones. 

5 minutes ago, Husker_Du said:

Yes, i got blasted for it. But I didn't even say he was too old. i said everyone was buzzing in the arena asking the question. there was just about a damn line of coaches going up to the head table questioning it.

as it turns out - and in the process of getting accepted to college - he had to use his transcripts from Cuba as they wouldn't accept those from just his 1 year in AZ.

i never mentioned it or said 'i told you so' (1) b/c i never said it to begin with!  2) b/c I like Anthony and  don't care to see anyone bash him and 3) as posted above, he's in college now and it doesn't really matter.

I say it here and now only because it's like the worst secret ever. there was like 20 college coaches at ironman with pictures of his cuban transcripts on their phones. 

So how old is he?,   apparently 20 or more college coaches know.   Not that it's a big deal, as you said he's enrolled in college.  Seems like a good kid.   If it's not a secret why not share?   

2 minutes ago, Idaho said:

So he’s right there with several guys - Cassar, Hall, Utah Valley. Not a big deal. PSU has had a few guys like this. 

I thiink Cassar was 18 when he enrolled,  had a horrific Injury at worlds.was out for essentially 3 years,  I don't think he was on campus for one of those, then competed for 3 years.   I think hall was 20 when he came to PSU,  pretty sure he is 24 now.        

56 minutes ago, Idaho said:

So he’s right there with several guys - Cassar, Hall, Utah Valley. Not a big deal. PSU has had a few guys like this. 

If you mean Tanner Hall he graduated high school at 18/19, went to the OTC for a year, then went on a mission for 2 years.  So when he came to wrestle at ASU he was 22/23.  Then he took a redshirt in college so he is 27 now I think.  There's a valid reason for that happening.  No handwritten documents or gaps needing to be explained what he was doing.  

4 minutes ago, TripNSweep said:

If you mean Tanner Hall he graduated high school at 18/19, went to the OTC for a year, then went on a mission for 2 years.  So when he came to wrestle at ASU he was 22/23.  Then he took a redshirt in college so he is 27 now I think.  There's a valid reason for that happening.  No handwritten documents or gaps needing to be explained what he was doing.  

That's not possible with the high school years you have,  but I think he is about 27

1 hour ago, IronChef said:

In the tweet linked below, the person he refers to is 22 and he implies they are the same age: training since "we" were 8.

Yes,   In his own words he is the same age as Reineri Andreu who is 22.          

1 hour ago, Threadkilla said:

That's not possible with the high school years you have,  but I think he is about 27

Tanner Hall is 27 years and a few months old now if we do the math against this article.  He was a 23 year old freshman that had a birthday the week prior to the article published on Jan. 27, 2016.  He graduated high school in 2011 per this article

Edited by jross

1 hour ago, AnklePicker said:

Ok Trip N Sweep, we know you love this guy. Give us your collegiate predictions. 

From the few times I’ve seen him he looks special. I could be wrong but I’ll go 2 time champ. 

Maybe a 2x AA.  Maybe.  Watching him wrestle folkstyle against not the best competition showed he severely lacks the skills needed to compete at the top level in college.  He needs a few years in college to adjust.  If he's getting ridden out by good wrestlers in AZ then god help him when somebody who is a lot more skilled starts working at him from top and he doesn't just have to weather the storm for 15 seconds and go back to neutral.  That isn't a quick fix either, it takes time to learn because folkstyle mat wrestling is drastically different from freestyle.  I predict he will struggle.  

4 hours ago, Husker_Du said:

So are you saying his Cuban transcripts say he graduated HS in 2017 or 2018?

6 hours ago, Hotkarl712 said:

now that he's in college where some guys are 21 year old freshman I don't think it really matters anymore

It might matter to the kids he beat while wrestling in high school or at Fargo.  You can't really get that back if you lost to a guy who was too old to wrestle but people lied for him to be able to compete. If you wrestled him and lost a national championship, AA honors or a state championship because you took a loss to a guy who shouldn't have been there how does that make you feel?  I'd be pretty upset.