Threadkilla

How old is Echemendia?

18 hours ago, Threadkilla said:

he is 20  his birthday is September 10th 1999

18 hours ago, Threadkilla said:

I tried to look it up yesterday and saw that Willie Saylor got lambasted for asking the same question.    Echemendia posted a group of videos on twitter asking if his style had changed.  The first video he was wrestling in the 2014 Cuba Cadet championships,   based on the rule book that would make him 15 or 16  at the time and 21 or 22 now.   I'm just curious.  I know some of the kids that go on LDS missions are early 20's when first enrolling.  

It won’t let me upload the picture. But on March 11th he posted a picture of his passport. His birthday is 09/10/1999. Clearly if the United States government is excepting this documentation for his immigration case it is valid. You all are haters if that is the only thing you can talk about to bring this kid down. He has an amazing story and has been through enough just to do what he loves. Wrestle in the greatest country

9 hours ago, Gobucks1971 said:

It won’t let me upload the picture. But on March 11th he posted a picture of his passport. His birthday is 09/10/1999. Clearly if the United States government is excepting this documentation for his immigration case it is valid. You all are haters if that is the only thing you can talk about to bring this kid down. He has an amazing story and has been through enough just to do what he loves. Wrestle in the greatest country

That's strange because I've seen him give alternate birth years of 1995 and 1997.  His facebook had him listed as being born in 1995 for a while.  

I don't think Echemendia is really the one who did this himself.  I've always believed it was certain coaches around him who told him what to do or what to say.  It just seems strange that he somehow ended up at a perennial powerhouse wrestling high school, with a coach who was apparently known for shenanigans similar to this at another high school.  It's a pretty selfish thing to do honestly.  I can appreciate the struggle Echemendia has, being a refugee immigrant in a country he doesn't know anyone in.  I've got no problem with him at all since I just think he was doing as he was told to do.  

1 hour ago, TripNSweep said:

I don't think Echemendia is really the one who did this himself.  I've always believed it was certain coaches around him who told him what to do or what to say.  It just seems strange that he somehow ended up at a perennial powerhouse wrestling high school, with a coach who was apparently known for shenanigans similar to this at another high school.  It's a pretty selfish thing to do honestly.  I can appreciate the struggle Echemendia has, being a refugee immigrant in a country he doesn't know anyone in.  I've got no problem with him at all since I just think he was doing as he was told to do.  

As long as you are throwing people under the bus... Which SS coach are you referring to? Leon or Villascuela? 

1 hour ago, nyum said:

As long as you are throwing people under the bus... Which SS coach are you referring to? Leon or Villascuela? 

Villescusa.  I've heard how at his previous coaching stop guys who nobody had seen or heard of would just randomly show up.  Since it's against the law for schools to ask about immigration status or investigate whatever paperwork they're given, they just accept whoever shows up.  Public schools anyway.  He's a great recruiter I'll give him that.  But there are a lot of fishy things about Echemendia just arriving and deciding to wrestle at Sunnyside.  

On 4/11/2020 at 2:52 PM, Husker_Du said:

Yes, i got blasted for it. But I didn't even say he was too old. i said everyone was buzzing in the arena asking the question. there was just about a damn line of coaches going up to the head table questioning it.

as it turns out - and in the process of getting accepted to college - he had to use his transcripts from Cuba as they wouldn't accept those from just his 1 year in AZ.

he graduated from HS in 2017 or 2018. I forget which. 

i never mentioned it or said 'i told you so' (1) b/c i never said it to begin with!  2) b/c I like Anthony and  don't care to see anyone bash him and 3) as posted above, he's in college now and it doesn't really matter.

I say it here and now only because it's like the worst secret ever. there was like 20 college coaches at ironman with pictures of his cuban transcripts on their phones. 

Willie of course trying to play both sides of the fence, now posting something showing that Echemendia's birthday is 9/10/99 as someone else mentioned earlier.   Or are you not questioning his age, just the fact that he had already graduated HS in Cuba?

I think a better question is how are his living arrangements paid for (crazy handstand trick by the way)?

I guess it's probably like all the kids that don't even go to Cornell living in houses owned by Cornell alums...

5 hours ago, 1032004 said:

Willie of course trying to play both sides of the fence, now posting something showing that Echemendia's birthday is 9/10/99 as someone else mentioned earlier.   Or are you not questioning his age, just the fact that he had already graduated HS in Cuba?

I think a better question is how are his living arrangements paid for (crazy handstand trick by the way)?

I guess it's probably like all the kids that don't even go to Cornell living in houses owned by Cornell alums...

He lives with his girlfriend 

not trying to play both sides of the coin. just stating facts and sharing info. 

literally how all this started was me saying 'i have no idea how old he is' which was met with criticism for some reason.

i for one believe anthony on his bday. and i shared a page that printed the same.

but I also saw transcripts that he graduated hs in cuba. 

so, to be clear - i believe anthony's age is what anthony says it is, and i believe he graduated hs in cuba.

everything is over and done with now. he's in college and it doesn't matter.

it also doesn't matter what i think. i just hope anthony is successful. 

13 minutes ago, Husker_Du said:

not trying to play both sides of the coin. just stating facts and sharing info. 

literally how all this started was me saying 'i have no idea how old he is' which was met with criticism for some reason.

i for one believe anthony on his bday. and i shared a page that printed the same.

but I also saw transcripts that he graduated hs in cuba. 

so, to be clear - i believe anthony's age is what anthony says it is, and i believe he graduated hs in cuba.

everything is over and done with now. he's in college and it doesn't matter.

it also doesn't matter what i think. i just hope anthony is successful. 

I posted this elsewhere (not directed at  anyone in particular even though I'm quoting Du) but some other cultures - Europe I believe a lot- graduate HS after 10th grade.

3 minutes ago, gimpeltf said:

I posted this elsewhere (not directed at  anyone in particular even though I'm quoting Du) but some other cultures - Europe I believe a lot- graduate HS after 10th grade.

My girlfriend says this isn't true.  She's from Europe and graduated from high school there.  She graduated at 17.  

5 minutes ago, TripNSweep said:

My girlfriend says this isn't true.  She's from Europe and graduated from high school there.  She graduated at 17.  

Thanks. I just looked it up. I remember someone telling me it was true for Romania and other countries. What I'm seeing is that Grades 11-12 are voluntary (Romania). So take that as you will. Likely to go on to college you would need to go all 4 years. 

14 minutes ago, gimpeltf said:

Thanks. I just looked it up. I remember someone telling me it was true for Romania and other countries. What I'm seeing is that Grades 11-12 are voluntary (Romania). So take that as you will. Likely to go on to college you would need to go all 4 years. 

Ironically that's where she's from.  You can drop out of high school after 10th grade but you aren't graduating or considered graduated from high school she says.  It's mandatory until 10th grade.  She says that you can't officially drop out until you complete the 10th grade or you turn 18.  

On 4/12/2020 at 8:49 PM, TripNSweep said:

Villescusa.  I've heard how at his previous coaching stop guys who nobody had seen or heard of would just randomly show up.  Since it's against the law for schools to ask about immigration status or investigate whatever paperwork they're given, they just accept whoever shows up.  Public schools anyway.  He's a great recruiter I'll give him that.  But there are a lot of fishy things about Echemendia just arriving and deciding to wrestle at Sunnyside.  

So apparently this Villaescusa guy just contacted him out of the blue?

https://www.miamiherald.com/news/nation-world/world/americas/cuba/article233083402.html

Wonder how much if at all the FloFilm will get into that...

On 4/11/2020 at 6:35 PM, DocBZ said:

Who cares?

If he is over 60 he could be at increased health risk working out in close proximity to other guys.  Thought a Doc would know this.  ;)

54 minutes ago, 1032004 said:

https://www.miamiherald.com/news/nation-world/world/americas/cuba/article233083402.html

So, between cadets and juniors, he won 6 titles in Cuba.  How young may cadets be by UWW standards?

On 4/15/2020 at 4:59 PM, gimpeltf said:

No idea about Cuba, but Europeans graduate a year later, not earlier. There may be some intermediate recognition before graduation.

26 minutes ago, AHamilton said:

So, between cadets and juniors, he won 6 titles in Cuba.  How young may cadets be by UWW standards?

but, some places may allow you to compete as a 13 year old with an exemption... USAW would allow a schoolboy to bump up to cadets for national duals or a cadet to juniors...

1 hour ago, 1032004 said:

His dad knew Villescusa from somewhere allegedly.  Which kind of contradicts his narrative he came here on a whim.  He met Villaescusa at that training camp and what I'm guessing was that Villaescusa told him if he could get to the US he would be able to do all of these things, like wrestle in high school, compete at Fargo, etc.  I believe his story about coming here, because I've worked with immigrants who've come to claim asylum and it's a dangerous pathway.  I don't believe he's only 20/21 though.