Threadkilla

How old is Echemendia?

37 minutes ago, NJDan said:

No idea about Cuba, but Europeans graduate a year later, not earlier. There may be some intermediate reco

Keep reading the thread. What it turns out is that Europeans CAN graduate earlier (or at least legally leave). There was one Romanian  that had left HS after 10th and the way he explained it to me (which apparently lost something in the translations) was that he graduated.

1 minute ago, gimpeltf said:

Keep reading the thread. What it turns out is that Europeans CAN graduate earlier (or at least legally leave). There was one Romanian  that had left HS after 10th and the way he explained it to me (which apparently lost something in the translations) was that he graduated.

that's what I meant by intermediate recognition. There may be a place short of graduation where European high schoolers are free to leave and go to work. But it does not mean they graduated. 

2 hours ago, LJB said:

but, some places may allow you to compete as a 13 year old with an exemption... USAW would allow a schoolboy to bump up to cadets for national duals or a cadet to juniors...

They don't allow schoolboys(14U) to bump up. The only Cadets that can bump up are ones currently in 9th grade or higher. 

6 minutes ago, BobDole said:

They don't allow schoolboys(14U) to bump up. The only Cadets that can bump up are ones currently in 9th grade or higher. 

funny that... i've seen schoolboys do it...

enough that we thought about doing it for novice bumping up to schoolboys...

i mean, why not?

but, whatever...

12 minutes ago, LJB said:

funny that... i've seen schoolboys do it...

enough that we thought about doing it for novice bumping up to schoolboys...

i mean, why not?

but, whatever...

Local and state level events may allow it, but USAW events specifically list that it is not allowed.

I did notice at least one time where a cadet aged kid in 8th grade wrestled at Cadet Duals, not sure if anyone cared since it was from a state that got put into the last pool.

22 minutes ago, BobDole said:

Local and state level events may allow it, but USAW events specifically list that it is not allowed.

I did notice at least one time where a cadet aged kid in 8th grade wrestled at Cadet Duals, not sure if anyone cared since it was from a state that got put into the last pool.

Why wouldn't a Cadet aged 8th grader be allowed at Cadet Duals? Did you mean Junior Duals?

Some of these bump ups were 'allowed' earlier because no one checked them out. Nowadays the registration software has access to the USAW card data to check.

1 hour ago, BobDole said:

Seen it happen at both cadet and junior national duals... 

cadets wrestle both cadet and juniors at Fargo all the time...

its a thing with a dr note

4 hours ago, LJB said:

Seen it happen at both cadet and junior national duals... 

cadets wrestle both cadet and juniors at Fargo all the time...

its a thing with a dr note

Cadets in 9th or above can wrestle Juniors.

10 hours ago, gimpeltf said:

You can drop out that early but you aren't considered a graduate if you leave school after 10th grade.  As told to me by somebody who is a Romanian who graduated from high school there and explained how it works there.  

10 hours ago, gimpeltf said:

Why wouldn't a Cadet aged 8th grader be allowed at Cadet Duals? Did you mean Junior Duals?

Some of these bump ups were 'allowed' earlier because no one checked them out. Nowadays the registration software has access to the USAW card data to check.

Meant Junior duals, it was past my bedtime and Cracker Barrel being closed has thrown me for a loop.

This happened in 2016, so it was pretty recent.

Edited by BobDole

34 minutes ago, BobDole said:

Meant Junior duals, it was past my bedtime and Cracker Barrel being closed has thrown me for a loop.

This happened in 2016, so it was pretty recent.

But the ability to check might be even more recent than that. Not sure exactly which year but only in the last few.

It’s funny how so many here are dodging or mocking this question. It doesn’t matter so much for college wrestling but it at least is interesting. It also Probably skews some of his successes because his strength and maturity is/was superior to most of his opponents. That of course will be mitigated in college. 

does anyone care about the 16 year old "freshman" wrestlers that are all over this country?

look what XXXX did at junior nationals as only sophmore!!!!!!

(a 17 year old second year junior sophmore)

this is not anything odd or anything that won't be replicated over and over in the future...

6 minutes ago, VakAttack said:

If the kid is in his 20s, of course it matters for high school aged tournaments.  It doesn't mean much for college, though.

graduating HS at 20 is not uncommon at all for kids involved in sports in this country...

15 minutes ago, VakAttack said:

The implication so far has been he is older than 20.

i get that, but, we are splitting hairs at that point and i can't help but feel that the main reason it's an issue is because he is a foreigner and not the principal of the matter because no one really cares about all the 20 year old seniors beating up on poor 14 year freshman...

1 hour ago, LJB said:

i get that, but, we are splitting hairs at that point and i can't help but feel that the main reason it's an issue is because he is a foreigner and not the principal of the matter because no one really cares about all the 20 year old seniors beating up on poor 14 year freshman...

No state allows 20 year olds to compete in high school athletics. The common rule is you cannot have turned 19 later than July or August 1st.

12 minutes ago, HokieHWT said:

No state allows 20 year olds to compete in high school athletics. The common rule is you cannot have turned 19 later than July or August 1st.

Earlier than you mean. And NFHS is Sept 1 but some states are earlier.

16 minutes ago, HokieHWT said:

you are 100% right... my math sucks...

you can be 16 years old on sept 2nd as a freshman and still only be 19 as a senior...

4 hours ago, LJB said:

I don’t think anyone here cares if he’s a foreigner or not, I’m sure if some farm boy was Iowa was winning states then won Fargo and it turned out he had a fake birth certificate and was really 20 people would lose there minds

can u give me an example of a state that allows 20 yr olds to participate in high school sports?

1 minute ago, Antitroll2828 said:

I don’t think anyone here cares if he’s a foreigner or not, I’m sure if some farm boy was Iowa was winning states then won Fargo and it turned out he had a fake birth certificate and was really 20 people would lose there minds

can u give me an example of a state that allows 20 yr olds to participate in high school sports?

look directly above your post...

sure, people would get upset if anyone was found to have a fake BC to compete... and yes, i hear this silly crap all the time about fake BCs... i even know someone who got busted for doing exactly that in youth wrestling...

echemendia had a BC that said he was legal for fargo but people who had never heard of him could not believe it was real... and the outcry starts within the community... a community that is notoriously backwards thinking as evidenced here on this forum... if you don't think him being a foreigner does not play into that at all, then i have the proverbial bridge i would like you to maker an offer on...

i just think it is silly there is this huge outcry when it is perfectly acceptable to hold you kid back in school to gain an advantage in sports...

Holding your kid back and lying about your age are two different things.  I am not a fan of the 8th grade redshirt or worse getting a second bite of the 4 timer apple by repeating freshman year, but having a 20 or 21 year old entering Fargo is worse.

7 minutes ago, spladle said:

Holding your kid back and lying about your age are two different things.  I am not a fan of the 8th grade redshirt or worse getting a second bite of the 4 timer apple by repeating freshman year, but having a 20 or 21 year old entering Fargo is worse.

he had a piece of paper saying he was legal... just like everyone else does...

you either accept that and quit whining, or you can continue to look for more excuses...

hypothetical "you" of course...