NJDan

How is NLWC so Rich?

12 hours ago, VakAttack said:

They had one big donor about 5 years ago for $5 million. Nobody else has been able to make that happen, but that singular donation is the major financial differentiator to the other programs.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Thanks, VakAttack.

In general, I can see giving money to a college program as donating to colleges has a long tradition and it's something that alums do. But it would seem to me that RTCs have not built up allegiances or fan bases. But I guess a few donors at least are inspired to give. 

I also wonder about fundraising and dual loyalties. Can Cael or Koll raise money for their clubs from the same folks who give to their universities or teams? I would think that the universities would have a problem with that. But maybe not.

21 hours ago, NJDan said:

I also wonder about fundraising and dual loyalties. Can Cael or Koll raise money for their clubs from the same folks who give to their universities or teams? I would think that the universities would have a problem with that. But maybe not.

That’s exactly who finds the RTCs. It is the same people giving to the school team.  It is all about giving a competitive advantage to the college teams.  

The RTCs are a recruiting advantage.  It is a way to get additional coaches and training partners that NCAA rules don’t allow.  It is a way to sell recruits on Olympic aspirations and to keep the team brand strong. 

On 4/13/2020 at 7:17 AM, Pinnum said:

That’s exactly who finds the RTCs. It is the same people giving to the school team.  It is all about giving a competitive advantage to the college teams.  

The RTCs are a recruiting advantage.  It is a way to get additional coaches and training partners that NCAA rules don’t allow.  It is a way to sell recruits on Olympic aspirations and to keep the team brand strong. 

What Pinnum said, which IMHO is pretty obvious. Penn State benefits greatly from the NLWC, as does Iowa from the HWC,  Cornell from Finger Lakes and so on. It also greatly benefits USA Wrestling and all USA wrestling fans as it allows college wrestlers to continue to compete post college and still make a decent living.