shieldofpistis

Ohio State 2020-2021 season

13 hours ago, ConnorsDad said:

Trip, I'm certainly not the person to ask but would you say it's easier for a folk style wrestler to be elite in freestyle in than it is the other way around? I mean if we're looking for previous examples look at Lazaro Reynoso. I believe he did finally win a National Championship in NAIA (No Athletic Investigations Allowed) but that's a far cry from division 1 and it was a lot easier back then to get elite in a short amount of time than it is now.

Reinoso won a national title for Carson Newman in NCAA D2 as a sophomore and was runner up his final two years.  I only really remember this because we wrestled CN in a dual his Jr year and my buddy who wrestled him was a bit nervous considering the guy at the time was like 35 years old and had beaten John Smith lol

11 minutes ago, Schuteandscore said:

Reinoso won a national title for Carson Newman in NCAA D2 as a sophomore and was runner up his final two years.  I only really remember this because we wrestled CN in a dual his Jr year and my buddy who wrestled him was a bit nervous considering the guy at the time was like 35 years old and had beaten John Smith lol

That is funny. I wasn't much into wrestling back then but I remember the story of him winning was in some of the papers in that area. I'm from Tennessee and even I knew how strange it was back then. Thanks for correcting me on  when he won it. 35 years old probably not far from the truth. By the way I think that video of him winning or maybe one of the years he finished second is on YouTube Tube somewhere.

5 minutes ago, ConnorsDad said:

That is funny. I wasn't much into wrestling back then but I remember the story of him winning was in some of the papers in that area. I'm from Tennessee and even I knew how strange it was back then. Thanks for correcting me on  when he won it. 35 years old probably not far from the truth. By the way I think that video of him winning or maybe one of the years he finished second is on YouTube Tube somewhere.

I believe it was 2002 and just checked his age so he was 32, so yeah close enough lol.  He was a monster

7 minutes ago, ConnorsDad said:

But to tie it into your discussion, I do remember although he was good, his style was much much different, probably a combo of both age and his freestyle base.

12 minutes ago, Schuteandscore said:

But to tie it into your discussion, I do remember although he was good, his style was much much different, probably a combo of both age and his freestyle base.

13 minutes ago, Schuteandscore said:

I believe it was 2002 and just checked his age so he was 32, so yeah close enough lol.  He was a monster

Holy **** you weren't kidding. I guess I never really made the connection how much later that was after the Olympics. 32. Unreal! I read an article once where he's like a high school teacher and wrestling coach somewhere I believe in South Florida. Great story!

1 hour ago, Schuteandscore said:

Interesting as in the video one of the announcers say "he says he's 25, but that would have made him 18 when he won a bronze medal at the Olympics."

RIP Carson Newman wrestling team.

12 minutes ago, 1032004 said:

Interesting as in the video one of the announcers say "he says he's 25, but that would have made him 18 when he won a bronze medal at the Olympics."

RIP Carson Newman wrestling team.

Yeah the announcer must have been off because it was the 92 olympics and he was born in 1969, so he was 22 or 23 during the Olympics, making him 32 or 33 in 2002, crazy

If you're getting turned by top guys from Arizona who aren't placing nationally or even trying to then you're not going to be an AA at the D1 level.  That's like wondering how guys who were 3 or 4x state champions from weaker states went 0-2 at senior nationals or guys who manage to go undefeated in high school from smaller states somehow don't do so well in college or nationally.  

31 minutes ago, TripNSweep said:

If you're getting turned by top guys from Arizona who aren't placing nationally or even trying to then you're not going to be an AA at the D1 level.  That's like wondering how guys who were 3 or 4x state champions from weaker states went 0-2 at senior nationals or guys who manage to go undefeated in high school from smaller states somehow don't do so well in college or nationally.  

Anthony Cassar didn't qualify for NJ states until he was a senior.  Being a state champ even in a weak state in your first year wrestling folkstyle is pretty good.

I agree, the guy from the video wouldn't AA.   But I'm pretty sure the Echemendia you see next season isn't going to be the same guy as the guy in the video.

39 minutes ago, Schuteandscore said:

Yeah the announcer must have been off because it was the 92 olympics and he was born in 1969, so he was 22 or 23 during the Olympics, making him 32 or 33 in 2002, crazy

Oh, I guess I was assuming that at the time they didn't know his age.

Edit: Actually the link ConnorsDad provided with the video says he was 26 in college.  But also says he was 22 when he was in the Olympics... 

Edited by 1032004

1 minute ago, 1032004 said:

Anthony Cassar didn't qualify for NJ states until he was a senior.  Being a state champ even in a weak state in your first year wrestling folkstyle is pretty good.

I agree, the guy from the video wouldn't AA.   But I'm pretty sure the Echemendia you see next season isn't going to be the same guy as the guy in the video.

Yeah but NJ has had like 3 or 4 people win state there 4x?  Arizona has had it happen like 35 times, and has 4 divisions for wrestling.  It's like saying that somebody who only qualified for state in CA isn't that good.  We had a guy just after I graduated high school who wasn't even a state placer in CA, but had just qualified for state.  He ended up as a state runner up in AZ after he transferred.  The level of competition is better and deeper.  If Echemendia had won state in CA or NJ or Ohio or PA then that would mean something, but look at all the 4x state champions from AZ and only a couple of them ever became AA's in college.  Ironically I don't think any of the NCAA champions from AZ won state 4x.  But they proved their worth by going out of state and winning.  

5 minutes ago, TripNSweep said:

Yeah but NJ has had like 3 or 4 people win state there 4x?  Arizona has had it happen like 35 times, and has 4 divisions for wrestling.  It's like saying that somebody who only qualified for state in CA isn't that good.  We had a guy just after I graduated high school who wasn't even a state placer in CA, but had just qualified for state.  He ended up as a state runner up in AZ after he transferred.  The level of competition is better and deeper.  If Echemendia had won state in CA or NJ or Ohio or PA then that would mean something, but look at all the 4x state champions from AZ and only a couple of them ever became AA's in college.  Ironically I don't think any of the NCAA champions from AZ won state 4x.  But they proved their worth by going out of state and winning.  

Which is what Echemendia did right?  Didn't seem like he was really being recruited much until he pretty much dominated everyone at Fargo.

The point about Cassar was more about the fact that he improved.    I think you're putting too much stock in results during his first year of folkstyle which are over a year old at this point and since then he has been training with various top wrestlers and coaches.  Considering the international success that Echemendia has had, I think it's reasonable to believe that he can learn a standup.

14 minutes ago, 1032004 said:

Oh, I guess I was assuming that at the time they didn't know his age.

Edit: Actually the link ConnorsDad provided with the video says he was 26 in college.  But also says he was 22 when he was in the Olympics... 

Right lol, all I know is when I was in college, so I can’t speak to his age or the video but yeah if he was 22 in the Olympics, he was definitely 32 when I saw him

2 hours ago, TripNSweep said:

He destroyed Josh Saunders and a lot of great HS wrestlers in Fargo (what he did in Greco was sick) - he will be fine.  There are differences in the styles but wrestling is still wrestling. With guys like Sasso to train with he will get good enough on bottom to defend himself.  The biggest challenge for TR will be to get him eligible and keep him that way.

Unless he doesn’t get a 6th year, which I would be shocked if he didn’t considering similar requests being granted in recent years, Ke’Shawn Hayes should be the Bucks 157 next season, unless he goes 149 and Sasso bumps up to 157.

125: Malik Heinselman

133: Jordan Decatur

141: Anthony Echemendia 

149: Ke’Shawn Hayes

157: Sammy Sasso

165: Carson Karchla 

174: Kaleb Romero

184: Rocky Jordan or Ethan Smith

197: Chase Singletary 

HWY: Tate Orndorff

I’m a big fan of Ryan but the next two years will tell a lot about his staff’s ability to developer wrestlers. 

He has some tremendous young talent.  If they develop I can see TOSU finish as high as 2.  I also think they could finish as low as 10.

6 hours ago, Sstern said:

I’m a big fan of Ryan but the next two years will tell a lot about his staff’s ability to developer wrestlers. 

He has some tremendous young talent.  If they develop I can see TOSU finish as high as 2.  I also think they could finish as low as 10.

They have already proven for years that they can develop wrestlers. Pucillo, Moore, Pletcher, Humphreys, Heflin, etc.  And “big name” recruits like Snyder/Stieber have developed as well. Yes, there has been some staff turnover, but outside of PSU, nobody has developed more talent in the past decade. 

15 hours ago, Aviator12 said:

Unless he doesn’t get a 6th year, which I would be shocked if he didn’t considering similar requests being granted in recent years, Ke’Shawn Hayes should be the Bucks 157 next season, unless he goes 149 and Sasso bumps up to 157.

125: Malik Heinselman

133: Jordan Decatur

141: Anthony Echemendia 

149: Ke’Shawn Hayes

157: Sammy Sasso

165: Carson Karchla 

174: Kaleb Romero

184: Rocky Jordan or Ethan Smith

197: Chase Singletary 

HWY: Tate Orndorff

Agree on Ke-Shawn easily getting a MRS based on the criteria that's been used in recent years, but I'm curious to see if they become  stricter about handing out extra years in the wake of the covid-19 financial hardship. Extra yeas on scholarship costs money, wouldn't shock me if it becomes a far stingier system or really even if medical redshirts were eliminated altogether. 

30 minutes ago, lurk_nowitzki said:

Agree on Ke-Shawn easily getting a MRS based on the criteria that's been used in recent years, but I'm curious to see if they become  stricter about handing out extra years in the wake of the covid-19 financial hardship. Extra yeas on scholarship costs money, wouldn't shock me if it becomes a far stingier system or really even if medical redshirts were eliminated altogether. 

This logic doesn’t make sense. Medical redshirts do not change the 9.9 limit. 

16 hours ago, Billyhoyle said:

This logic doesn’t make sense. Medical redshirts do not change the 9.9 limit. 

Aren’t MRS guys usually grad students, though? So their scholarship would be more pricey than an undergrad? Just something I’ve been wondering about I don’t have any answers 

50 minutes ago, lurk_nowitzki said:

Aren’t MRS guys usually grad students, though? So their scholarship would be more pricey than an undergrad? Just something I’ve been wondering about I don’t have any answers 

That would almost have to be the case, I guess (being grad students) or else there would have been some kind of academic progress issues. However, it isn't unusual for a grad student at same school to be getting an academic scholarship from the school. 

Edited by gimpeltf

Less expensive. Full time graduate school is typically 9 credit hours. Undergrad is at least 12 hours. Lehigh tuition example for 2020: 

The 2020 undergraduate tuition & fees of Lehigh University are $55,240 for their students and the 2020 graduate school tuition & fees are $27,130.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk