shieldofpistis

Ohio State 2020-2021 season

Echemendia does look enormous but TR is saying 141 so I'll take him at his word.  If AE is indeed as old as people are saying he is maybe that benefits the Bucks as he is probably done growing where an 18 year old freshman could still get bigger after getting to college.  I agree with most of what was said int the link but as stated think Karchla will be at 174 and probably push Romero up t 184 and Rocky out of the lineup.  Ohio State has a lot of quality depth in their middle and in particular upper weights.

4 hours ago, balanceseeker said:

Echemendia does look enormous but TR is saying 141 so I'll take him at his word.  If AE is indeed as old as people are saying he is maybe that benefits the Bucks as he is probably done growing where an 18 year old freshman could still get bigger after getting to college.  I agree with most of what was said int the link but as stated think Karchla will be at 174 and probably push Romero up t 184 and Rocky out of the lineup.  Ohio State has a lot of quality depth in their middle and in particular upper weights.

Except Rocky beat Romero in the wrestle offs, clash of styles I guess.

13 hours ago, balanceseeker said:

Echemendia does look enormous but TR is saying 141 so I'll take him at his word.  If AE is indeed as old as people are saying he is maybe that benefits the Bucks as he is probably done growing where an 18 year old freshman could still get bigger after getting to college.  

Maybe so.

What’s interesting is the situation with Kinner.   If Ryan says Echemendia is going 141 I guess he has to assume that and then may try to bulk up to fill out as a 157. But if Echemendia can’t make 141 then 141 would probably be Kinner’s best shot at the lineup.

8 hours ago, 1032004 said:

Maybe so.

What’s interesting is the situation with Kinner.   If Ryan says Echemendia is going 141 I guess he has to assume that and then may try to bulk up to fill out as a 157. But if Echemendia can’t make 141 then 141 would probably be Kinner’s best shot at the lineup.

In my opinion best for 141-157 is kinner- echemendia - sasso.  If Hayes gets a 6th, then echemendia- hayes - sasso.

4 hours ago, shieldofpistis said:

See any finalists potential?

I would say Sasso has finalist potiential.  Whoever wins the spot at 174 may have finalist potential although I was more confident of that prior to Kemmerer getting a 6th year.  For a dark horse pick, I'll say SIngletary is a finalist at 197.  I think was a likely AA this year at 285 prior to his injury and he looked great cut down for freestyle, hammering several 197 AA's.

On 4/22/2020 at 9:33 PM, balanceseeker said:

I would say Sasso has finalist potiential.  Whoever wins the spot at 174 may have finalist potential although I was more confident of that prior to Kemmerer getting a 6th year.  For a dark horse pick, I'll say SIngletary is a finalist at 197.  I think was a likely AA this year at 285 prior to his injury and he looked great cut down for freestyle, hammering several 197 AA's.

I could look later, but who did he beat that AAd at 197?

I didn't remember that.

1 hour ago, balanceseeker said:

I was going by memory, maybe Honis was the only one that day?  He's beaten Stencel who is an AA and Parris who isn't an AA but is pretty good.  

You said several 197lb AA. Was just curious, not arguing. U23 is far enough back the memories faded. I figured misted 197lbers went 202(92 keggers).

10 hours ago, balanceseeker said:

I was going by memory, maybe Honis was the only one that day?  He's beaten Stencel who is an AA and Parris who isn't an AA but is pretty good.  

Well technically, Parris was an AA this year 

I want to see Sasso at 157. He seems a tweener that doesn't have a freestyle weight, but 157 puts him closer to 74 than 149 does 65, as far as effort goes.

So that puts Ech and Kinner at 141/149.

Winner by assembly at 125/133. They would have put Koontz in if he was beating Heinselman in the rook consistently last year. Same for 133 with Koontz as well, so I think Heinselman and Decatur again.

No IF Sasso goes 149 and Ech goes 141, which I believe both will happen, 157 becomes wrestler by assembly. I know Smith cut a lot, but if Karch, Romero, Jordan is set for 165-184, might we see 4 different toons in the running at 157? Kinner, Smith, Mattox(what happened to him?), and Cleary(the returning starter...).

1 hour ago, 1032004 said:

Tom Ryan had some good things to say about Echemendia here - 

Also didn't believe he could make 141 either until seeing the video of him weighing 150

Your link is past when he talks about Ech and the team. Starts around 8:30 and Ech more specifically around 11:00

Interesting that Ohio State Athletics (gymnastics and fencing) has 2 coaches that are Cuban Olympians that may have helped land Ech.

Ryan also mentioned he was beating Gillman as a HS wrestler at 15??

Beating Gilman..In a match or practice? Side bar: does anyone know if he can wrestle on the mat ? As a reminder every so often  there is the next superstar/ champ largely based on freestyle results and skills. While very good, a few months later we find out the kid can’t wrestle on the mat. Making them very good rather than elite.