Sign in to follow this  
irani

Interview with David Taylor

I came across a post in Iranian Media that claim David Taylor did a live interview on Instagram.  The smart thing would be to try and find the interview and post it here, but I am bored, so I am going to use my ****ty translation skills, and translate the article into English :)  This article is a few days old, it was printed before the Olympics were postponed.  I have not verified the accuracy of what is in the article,  It will be interesting once we find the original interview to see how my translation of a translation compares to the original.

https://www.khabarvarzeshi.com/fa/news/253706/حریف-آمریکایی-یزدانی-حسن-پادشاه-است

448582_713.jpg

According news reports, David Taylor the 86 kilograms freestyler of America and the 2018 world gold Medal winner is one of the main chances of the U.S. wrestling to win the Tokyo Olympic medal.

Taylor has twice competed against Hassan Yazdani, and he won both times in the Kermanshah World Cup and World championship in 2018.   After a severe injury, Taylor missed the 2019 world championship , but after months away from competition , he  succeeded at the Pam Am Olympic qualifying games  so that of the world's wrestling fans are waiting for his confrontation with  Hassan Yazdani, this time in Tokyo. Taylor recently had a live an interview with a Instagram page of the UWW  most of which were about competition with Hassan Yazdani, read the text of questions and answers:

How do you feel about competing against  world and Olympic champion Hassan Yazdani?

Hassan Yazdani is a formidable rival, good physical condition and fights hard. But I  am also well conditioned  and it's important for me to move forward.

Now and how do you keep great in the wake of the corona outbreak?

In the current situation, due to the outbreak of Corona and the quarantine, I practice in the garage of my home to keep fit . As soon as the situation becomes better, I will go to a training camp to practice there

You must have watched the world 2019 tournament. Besides Yazdani, do you think you have any rivals that are a threat to you, that you would like to wrestle against?

It was hard for me to so stay home due to injury and watch from home.  Any way, I like to wrestle anyone.  I plan to participate in the toughest tournaments, and face all good opponents, just as I competed in the world cup and the Russian tournaments.

Perhaps  some rivals do not have a good relationship in social networks,  but after the surgeries you both had, each of you were the first to wish the other well. . How do you see this relationship despite the competition between you?

We are very respectful of each other. He is a good guy and a major competitor, therefore I have 100% respect for him. We have a hard and stressful competition with each other, and when the contest starts, we  give all we have to win, but out of the competition I hope he stays healthy because if so , we will inspire each other to move forward. We want to compete. Hopefully, he will be in his best form so that we will compete at the highest level

A large number of supporters of wrestling in Iran have a good support from you on social pages and follow you as a competitor to Yazdani.
Iranian supporters always remind me that "Hassan is King"  Wrestling is very popular in Iran, similar to American football in America. When Yazdani won the Olympic gold , I saw his pictures that surrounded by a large crowd. He is a celebrity in Iran, and of course in the world is a well-known and this is because of his method of competition and the successes that has gained in his youth.

It doesn't look fake.

It looks like it was translated to Persian then translated back to English.

In the double translation you'll get it so it seems robotic and out of character.

2 hours ago, nhs67 said:

It doesn't look fake.

It looks like it was translated to Persian then translated back to English.

In the double translation you'll get it so it seems robotic and out of character.

Exactly...these seem like genuine responses double-translated.

16 minutes ago, irani said:

I tried to find the original on Instagram, but could not.  I am not really an instagram person, has anyone else seen it?

It probably was an instagram live story, so it wouldn't be recorded or posted anywhere (unless someone recorded it themselves).

Edited by The Genius

14 hours ago, irani said:

I do not know for sure.

Which part looks fake to you?

"Hassan Yazdani is a formidable rival, good physical condition and fights hard. But I  am also well conditioned  and it's important for me to move forward."

That does not look like how Taylor talks to me. Maybe it was paraphrased. Could be a double translation problem, too.

4 hours ago, NJDan said:

"Hassan Yazdani is a formidable rival, good physical condition and fights hard. But I  am also well conditioned  and it's important for me to move forward."

That does not look like how Taylor talks to me. Maybe it was paraphrased. Could be a double translation problem, too.

It is definitely, a double translation problem.  I am positive if we ever find the original transcript, not a single word is the same as what ended up in my translation.

Here is what happened.  I am assuming Taylor had a live interview.  Some reporter in Iran did his best to translate what he said.  I then did my best (which admittedly is not very good) to translate the translation back into English.  The net result is not pretty@

Let me take a shot at improving the translating the one paragraph that you highlighted

"Hassan Yazdani is a formidable rival, strong and competes hard,  But I am also strong, and I always focus on getting better"

Translating is an art, and I am not good at it!

Edited by irani

I tried to find the instagram interview, and was unsuccessful, but I found an older interview with David Taylor.

One of the lines in that interview is very similar to the line from the interview that I translated

Minute 44:

Question - How much do you think about Hassan Yazdani and what he is doing?

Taylor -  I don't have a choice, Iranian fans on social media are savages.  No matter what I post they remind me of "King Yazdani"

Later he also talks about Yazdani again " his hand fights are violent'  .  We both have a similar style in that we try to wear down our opponents.  The two of us probably have the highest pace styles in the world.

I would say if both of them are trying wear down their opponents, Taylor succeeded twice.  Yazdani must come up with a different style against Taylor

Behind the Flo paywall, Taylor talks through one of his matches with Yazdani.  David was respectful to Yazdani and shared that he enjoys wrestling him.  A few comments about Yazdani include...

• Has a powerful reputation
  • The only guy in the world that wants to wrestle at my pace
  • Dominated me in first period - I was almost surviving at one point
  • I never beat a guy of that caliber before.
  • We both dominate people.  I am technical.  His is physical and he just throws people around, including me.
  • He makes you make mistakes.
  • He forces you to make a decision where you either give up a push out on the edge or he gets you for 2-4 pts.

The initial interview rings true in terms of the content as well. Taylor now trains in his garage, for example.

It's a double translation and, yes, translation gets to be a challenging art or craft, especially with poetry, literature and philosophy (and this is not any of them).

Irani is to be commended for the effort and his honesty.

Aside: I've heard an (admittedly sexist but perhaps somewhat insightful) line about translation which says in effect, translations are like women; the beautiful ones are not faithful, and the faithful ones are not beautiful.   (I suppose it could apply to some men as well.). "Faithful" of course refers to the degree to which the translation accurately reflects the exact or more literal words being translated.

Edited by dmm53

On 7/24/2020 at 8:29 AM, jross said:

Behind the Flo paywall, Taylor talks through one of his matches with Yazdani.  David was respectful to Yazdani and shared that he enjoys wrestling him.  A few comments about Yazdani include...

• Has a powerful reputation
  • The only guy in the world that wants to wrestle at my pace
  • Dominated me in first period - I was almost surviving at one point
  • I never beat a guy of that caliber before.
  • We both dominate people.  I am technical.  His is physical and he just throws people around, including me.
  • He makes you make mistakes.
  • He forces you to make a decision where you either give up a push out on the edge or he gets you for 2-4 pts.

is there any way to watch the whole interview ? (or read it) I mean despite not being a flowrestling member

1 hour ago, wrestfan said:

is there any way to watch the whole interview ? (or read it) I mean despite not being a flowrestling member

I want to see it too. It's  interesting to see the different reactions to the way these two match up between Iranians fans and what Taylor felt being in the match. 

Iranian fans generally say Yazdani is more technical but Taylor is physically stronger, Taylor says he is more technical but Yazdani is physically stronger. 

Edited by Shiraz123