portajohn

Top 5 Worst Kind of Wrestling Fans

6 minutes ago, ConnorsDad said:

Tobus, Although this happened in middle school for my kid rather than high school, I will still never forget it. I believe it was the first tournament when Connor was in the seventh grade. He had done well in this first year in middle school but wasn't a state champ or anything. A  new kid on his team had moved over from a different club. While standing there talking his mom and dad said yes Jay was undefeated last year. As my eyes bugged out of my head, Connor said you were state champion? To which his parents replied oh no we didn't even go to the postseason. They happened to be about the same weight class in a couple weeks later met and my kid came off the mat and he goes there must have been some pretty crappy state champions last year, LOL. I just don't get people just flat-out lying right to somebody's face when it can easily be checked.

Yeah, no real point to joshing people about your achievements in the media age.  Within a couple minutes of that story breaking last month about the HS HWT wrestler breaking up a kidnapping in Las Cruces I'd already researched and found the kid washed out at State (despite being called a "wrestling  champion" by the media).  There's no "mystery" anymore. I remember stepping on the mat against opponents that I knew nothing about whatsoever. Now everybody knows everything about everybody, it's crazy. 

Edited by TobusRex

36 minutes ago, TobusRex said:

Yeah, no real point to joshing people about your achievements in the media age.  Within a couple minutes of that story breaking last month about the HS HWT wrestler breaking up a kidnapping in Las Cruces I'd already researched and found the kid washed out at State (despite being called a "wrestling  champion" by the media).  There's no "mystery" anymore. I remember stepping on the mat against opponents that I knew nothing about whatsoever. Now everybody knows everything about everybody, it's crazy. 

That kid is a champion in my eyes.  Doesn’t need to be a state champ for that.

7 minutes ago, Mokoma said:

That kid is a champion in my eyes.  Doesn’t need to be a state champ for that.

Here's the thing: if an article says a kid is a "wrestling champion" then I expect the kid to BE a "wrestling champion".

54 minutes ago, ConnorsDad said:

I just don't get people just flat-out lying...

Doesn't this remind you of the early UFC fighter credentials?  

Thomas Ramirez | 41 years, 6'1", 410lbs | claimed 200-0 record and actually had zero martial arts experience.

12 hours ago, jross said:

Doesn't this remind you of the early UFC fighter credentials?  

Thomas Ramirez | 41 years, 6'1", 410lbs | claimed 200-0 record and actually had zero martial arts experience.

Absolutely! 

13 hours ago, TobusRex said:

Are you serious? Well ****. And yes I'm still proud of the guy for doing what he did but you're right if they say he's a champion then he should be.

LOL...damn, 200-0 with no experience!! Well, if you are gonna lie, go big! 

Hell, I know a guy who claimed have won 600 street fights without a loss. No scars, no broken nose, etc. He even claimed his was recruited by the Miami Hurricanes for football. I found out he guy quit high school in the 8th grade.

He tried to sumo me one night. I bear hugged the guy. He cried out like a little girl. I guess he's 600 /1 now.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

19 hours ago, TobusRex said:

Here's the thing: if an article says a kid is a "wrestling champion" then I expect the kid to BE a "wrestling champion".

So I just did some research and Canaan was a district champion, according to the article.

College was 30 years ago for me so that was before the internet age.  At the time I was a wrestling stats geek and still had programs from state tournaments that I attended with my father.  It was always fun when a college classmate tried to tell me they either won or placed at state when I knew the truth.

The Eavesdropping Know It All
For me, I can relate to this, at the NCAA’s.

You’re sitting, watching intensely,  the tournament.  You ask your friend, brother, son- sitting beside you, a question regarding one of the matches-or they ask you. 

One person sitting in front of you, has been listening-turns around and continually answers the question(s) before you or your compadre or yourself can answer....the private conversation.
    Very annoying.....

The Eavesdropping Know It All For me, I can relate to this, at the NCAA’s. You’re sitting, watching intensely,  the tournament.  You ask your friend, brother, son- sitting beside you, a question regarding one of the matches-or they ask you. 
   One person sitting in front of you, has been listening-turns around and continually answers the question(s) before you or your compadre or yourself can answer....the private conversation.     Very annoying.....
I like those guys. They're usually drunk and most likely full of nonsense. Saturday morning heroes.

On 4/18/2020 at 4:53 AM, cjc007 said:

Hell, I know a guy who claimed have won 600 street fights without a loss. No scars, no broken nose, etc. He even claimed his was recruited by the Miami Hurricanes for football. I found out he guy quit high school in the 8th grade.

He tried to sumo me one night. I bear hugged the guy. He cried out like a little girl. I guess he's 600 /1 now.

Best post of the year!