Jump to content
jerseywrestling

NCAA DI All-Decade Team

Recommended Posts

NCAA DI All-Decade Team

ncaa-all-decade.jpg

http://www.jerseywrestling.com/news.php?story=NCAA DI All-Decade Team

Dake, Stieber, Nickal, Nolf, and Snyder lead the pack!

Check out the top ten DI wrestlers from the past ten years ranked by NCAA medals!

Rank - Wrestler - Team - Score - Medals

#1 - Kyle Dake - Cornell - 64 - 1,1,1,1
#1 - Logan Stieber - Ohio State - 64 - 1,1,1,1
#3 - Bo Nickal - Penn State - 60 - 2,1,1,1
#3 - Jason Nolf - Penn State - 60 - 2,1,1,1
#3 - Kyle Snyder - Ohio State - 60 - 2,1,1,1
#6 - Alex Dieringer - Oklahoma State - 58 - 3,1,1,1
#6 - Ed Ruth - Penn State - 58 - 3,1,1,1
#8 - David Taylor - Penn State - 56 - 2,1,2,1
#8 - Isaiah Martinez - Illinois - 56 - 1,1,2,2
#10 - J'den Cox - Missouri - 55 - 1,5,1,1
#10 - Zain Retherford - Penn State - 55 - 5,1,1,1

There have been 170 wrestlers who made it to at least one NCAA final since 2010.

http://www.jerseywrestling.com/top_wrestlers_by_ncaa_medals.php?start_year=2010&end_year=2019

===

Like and follow us on Facebook!

http://www.facebook.com/jerseywrestling/

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/14/2020 at 2:58 PM, nhs67 said:

I would prefer there to be one at each weight.  This team here loses a dual to 2018 Penn State.

wow i would love to see the fantasy break down on that.

even taylor doesn't need a fantasy win in this matchup

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/15/2020 at 9:33 AM, Bearcat09 said:

Can you pick their weights?  I don't see how they lose any duals

125 - FFT

133- Steiber 

141- Dake

149- Zain 

157 - Dieringer

165- Taylor

174 - Ruth

184 -Bo

197 - J'Den

285 - Snyder

125....FFT?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/15/2020 at 9:33 AM, Bearcat09 said:

Can you pick their weights?  I don't see how they lose any duals

125 - FFT

133- Steiber 

141- Dake

149- Zain 

157 - Dieringer

165- Taylor

174 - Ruth

184 -Bo

197 - J'Den

285 - Snyder

133 Steiber was 32 points not 64.

141 Dake was 16 points.

Etc.

Every version listed in OP was senior.

1 hour ago, GockeS said:

wow i would love to see the fantasy break down on that.

even taylor doesn't need a fantasy win in this matchup

 

3 hours ago, Mokoma said:

How do you figure?

With each listed being the senior version:

125 and 133 are both 6 points for 2018 Pwnn State.

125-NONE

133-NONE

141-Steiber

149-Retherford

157-Nolf

165-Dake, Dieringer, Martinez, Taylor

174-(Bump someone)

184-Ruth

197-Cox, Nickal

285-Snyder

 

2018 Penn State:

125-Kuhn

133-Keener

141-Lee

149-Retherford

157-Nolf

165-Joseph

174-Hall

184-Nickal

197-Rasheed

285-Nevills

 

Matchup:

125-PSU Forfeit

PSU 6-0

133-PSU Forfeit

PSU 12-0

141-Steiber Major

PSU 12-7

149-Reth VS Reth?

SKIP

157-Sr Nolf over Jr Nolf Dec

PSU 12-7

165-Dake Dec

PSU 12-10

174-Hall Dec(Yep)

PSU 15-10

184-Nickal Decision(Yep)

PSU 18-10

197-Cox Dec

PSU 18-13

285-Snyder Maj

PSU 18-17

It literally comes down to same version of Reth VS Reth.

I maintain that soph hall defeats any version of the 165lbers bumping up as well as Jr Nickal beating Sr Ruth.

These aren't unreasonable.

This said, if you can pick and choose the weights such as earlier in careers then the All Star team easily wins.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/20/2020 at 9:57 AM, MadMardigain said:

Let’s get real there is no way Dake wins a fantasy match against 2018 Penn State.  That’s a big point swing for Happy Valley.   

Absolutely correct.  Cenzo pins Dake with those hips of his

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, portajohn said:

Absolutely correct.  Cenzo pins Dake with those hips of his

Honestly would not be surprised if Sr Dake were to major Jr cenzo in a fantasy match up. Look what a true freshman Lewis did to him. As for bumping up one of the 65ers to face hall. Dake or ringer would be your best bets. Dake cause he's obviously the best out of the group but ringer I would say was probably the strongest and biggest out of the group. 

Edited by BTC

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I remember when somebody being a 3 time Champ was a huge deal that was rarely accomplished, but look at the last decade: 8 guys with 3 or more titles. For the experts here, why is that? Why was it rare for guys in the old days to win 3 titles and we didn't have a 4 time champ until Pat Smith in the 90's, but since then we've had 3 more 4X champs? I remember when it was rare for guys to be 4 time All Americans (even Mark Schultz didn't pull that off and he has 3 titles), nowadays it seems common and almost trivial. What's the deal? What has changed in the wrestling world in the last 50 years, other than D1 wrestling losing a crapload of programs?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, TobusRex said:

I remember when somebody being a 3 time Champ was a huge deal that was rarely accomplished, but look at the last decade: 8 guys with 3 or more titles. For the experts here, why is that? Why was it rare for guys in the old days to win 3 titles and we didn't have a 4 time champ until Pat Smith in the 90's, but since then we've had 3 more 4X champs? I remember when it was rare for guys to be 4 time All Americans (even Mark Schultz didn't pull that off and he has 3 titles), nowadays it seems common and almost trivial. What's the deal? What has changed in the wrestling world in the last 50 years, other than D1 wrestling losing a crapload of programs?

I think a lot has to do with the onset of high level training at clubs and even many of the high schools. Kids are ready for prime time much earlier. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, gallison said:

Haven't the rules been relaxed regarding high school wrestlers competing in college open tournaments?   Better competition brings quality of the high school kids up pretty dramatically.

HS kids started entering college tournies in numbers maybe late 90s early 00s. (Kolat entered the Midlands and placed while in HS but this was rare then). It was discontinued around 2010 for several years. I believe it was the year after Marsteller was in middle school and won a match. Then it relaxed again a few years ago. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, gallison said:

Haven't the rules been relaxed regarding high school wrestlers competing in college open tournaments?   Better competition brings quality of the high school kids up pretty dramatically.

Hasn't it been the opposite? High schoolers used to be able to compete in the midlands which isn't the case anymore. Someone correct me ifnim wrong but last I heard of a high schooler in a college open was chance marstellar when he was in high school. At least I think he did, idk though.

So gimp by relaxed you mean that HS kids are allowed? I thought they were barred from entering or at least had to be reviewed on a case by case basis?

Edited by BTC
Nvm, gimp beat me to it

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, BTC said:

Hasn't it been the opposite? High schoolers used to be able to compete in the midlands which isn't the case anymore. Someone correct me ifnim wrong but last I heard of a high schooler in a college open was chance marstellar when he was in high school. At least I think he did, idk though.

So gimp by relaxed you mean that HS kids are allowed? I thought they were barred from entering or at least had to be reviewed on a case by case basis?

Not sure if the edit note refers to this but ...

I remember when they disallowed HS kids around 10 years ago that it was actually going counter to the compliance manual as regards Open Events. I believe those rules were meant more for track but it didn't matter. I guess they eventually realized what they had done and reverted. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, gimpeltf said:

Not sure if the edit note refers to this but ...

I remember when they disallowed HS kids around 10 years ago that it was actually going counter to the compliance manual as regards Open Events. I believe those rules were meant more for track but it didn't matter. I guess they eventually realized what they had done and reverted. 

The edit note is referring to the first paragraph of my post. You posted your post a few seconds before mine and with better info than mine.

Pretty interesting, I didnt know that applied to all scholastic sports.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, BTC said:

The edit note is referring to the first paragraph of my post. You posted your post a few seconds before mine and with better info than mine.

Pretty interesting, I didnt know that applied to all scholastic sports.

Relevant compliance rule refers to whether being at the same meet as a HS kid might force the coaches to count it as a contact (among other issues). They can't enter invites or actual team events but open events, yes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It would be interesting to see how wrestling compares to other NCAA D1 individual sports. I know there has never been a 4x tennis champ - but that is a different beast since kids turn pro at 14.  I have a feeling there may be more in wrestling than in many other individual sports or individual events such as swimming, gymnastics, etc. 

Edited by Idaho

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Idaho said:

It would be interesting to see how wrestling compares to other NCAA D1 individual sports. I know there has never been a 4x tennis champ - but that is a different beast since kids turn pro at 14.  I have a feeling there may be more in wrestling than in many other individual sports or individual events such as swimming, gymnastics, etc. 

Its hard to compare sports to wrestling, where there are ten individual champs every year in wrestling there is but champ per year in and then other sports like swimming or track allow athletes to win multiple title in one year.

I did find that only four athletes have won the same event  4X in a row in Men's Track and Field.

Also

Edward Cheserek runner from Oregon won 17 titles, despite not competing his last season due to injury

Jenny Thompson won 19 NCAA titles in women's swimming for Stanford.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...