Obelix

All-Star Zero-Time Champs Since 2000

4 hours ago, Mokoma said:

To be clear, I’m only comparing him to 2 others in the same era and weights that also did not win.

I wrote that above paragraph before reading your 2nd one.  We good.

As I said earlier, I dont know Fleeger rhats why I took Simmons. Your case for him instead of Simmons is pretty much bulletproof. Can you save me some time and give me some bio info on him? 

3 hours ago, VakAttack said:

People keep saying this, but didn't Coon win a silver medal in Greco?

He did but so few people on these boards even care about Greco or associate it with wrestling that I usually just mention freestyle and folkstyle and leave Greco out.

3 hours ago, VakAttack said:

People keep saying this, but didn't Coon win a silver medal in Greco?

And you might be being a little sarcastic but I'm too tired to figure it out. Upon thinking about it Coon might just be too big for Z to throw. Was it true or just a myth that he had to cut weight to get down to 285?

3 hours ago, jackwebster said:

True. And Z never seemed like he cared too much about grinding out a win. Looked like he was indifferent most of the time. I guess I am still in awe of Z's highlight reel technique. At the time, the general feeling was that if you tried to wrestle Gelogaev, you were going to get beat. So, you stalled out in the first, collected your riding time, escaped, then stalled the ramainder of the match.  

EDIT: Oh, and no toe-hook throws in Greco ...

if I had to come up with one sentence to describe Z's folkstyle you hit the nail on the head. Never really seemed to care much about grinding out a win. Excellent!

Josh Lambrecht deserves some consideration at 184.  With a little luck, he could have been a 2X NC.  He was 6th as a sophomore, had a heartbreaking loss in the final as a junior, when he was pinned after being up big, and finished third as a senior after being out with a serious rib injury (and not fully healed in time for the NCAA's).

13 hours ago, ConnorsDad said:

As I said earlier, I dont know Fleeger rhats why I took Simmons. Your case for him instead of Simmons is pretty much bulletproof. Can you save me some time and give me some bio info on him? 

134-5 2X pa state champ at Loyalsock

86-9 career record at Purdue
2002 NCAA 3rd place after losing to Abas

2003 NCAA 2nd place losing to Travis Lee

2004 Olympic redshirt

2005 failed out of school

2006 NCAA 2nd place to Matt Valenti after coming back 2nd semester

3 hours ago, Mokoma said:

134-5 2X pa state champ at Loyalsock

86-9 career record at Purdue
2002 NCAA 3rd place after losing to Abas

2003 NCAA 2nd place losing to Travis Lee

2004 Olympic redshirt

2005 failed out of school

2006 NCAA 2nd place to Matt Valenti after coming back 2nd semester

Mokoma, Very nice. Hell even if I done the work myself I wouldn't come up with that much info. Thank you very much.

On 4/15/2020 at 11:52 AM, VakAttack said:

At 133 I'd give some consideration to Ryan Lewis, who I think was the 1 seed twice but didn't win either time, and also Shawn Bunch.

At 141 give me Montell Marion.  I always liked Cory Cooperman, too.

You mean the Shawn Bunch who Fleeger smoked 9-2 in the semis? 

On 4/15/2020 at 5:20 PM, DJP said:

I used criteria of 4X AA all at same weight, if nobody with all 4 at same weight went with minimum 3 years at weight 2000-2019

125 - Sam Hazewinkel 3, 3, 3, 2

133 - Tyler Graff 5, 5, 3, 2   Simmons only had one  year at 133

141 - Mitchell Port R12, 2, 3, 2/Joey McKenna R12, 3, 3, 2

149 - Brandon Sorenson 4, 2, 3, 5

157 - James Green 7, 7, 3, 3   Bryan Snyder first year was 1999

165 - Tyler Caldwell 5, 2, 3, 2 

174 - Logan Storley 6, 4, 3, 4

184 - Robert Hamlin 2, 4, 2 competed at 174 in 2010 DNP

197 - Kollin Moore 3, 4, 2 

HWT - Michael McMullan 3, 2, 3, 3

He’s not finished yet but I’d go with Myles Amine over Storley at 174.  

21 hours ago, MSU158 said:

At 133, I don’t think Fleeger was at his best. He was the 5 seed behind Mack Reiter. He had a nice run at the tourney, but still ended up losing to the 6 seed Valenti. 

Simply put, I think Fleeger was at his best at 125 and Simmons was his best at 133. 

Fleeger missed the first half of that season, and then defaulted at big tens which is why he fell to 5th seed at NCAA’s. And Mack Reiter was a 3X all American while being hurt the other year.  It’s not like he was some slouch.

Also, I like the cheap shot at 2X champ Valenti.  The guy was a monster, not your run of the mill “6 seed”.

Edited by Mokoma
Added Valenti comment.

21 hours ago, Mokoma said:

Fleeger missed the first half of that season, and then defaulted at big tens which is why he fell to 5th seed at NCAA’s. And Mack Reiter was a 3X all American while being hurt the other year.  It’s not like he was some slouch.

Also, I like the cheap shot at 2X champ Valenti.  The guy was a monster, not your run of the mill “6 seed”.

Fitting well into the 125 lb slot:

123 lb Bob Fehrs, who lost to the great Caruso of Lehigh three times in the finals, 1965-7.   

Mack Lewnes (class of 2011) has to at least be in the conversation for 165/174. Career record of 150-12, 4x EIWA champ, 3x AA (4/DNP/2/4). Soph and Jr years entered the NCAAs as an undefeated #1 seed. Was looking like he might get it done sr. year and then ran into a Penn State freshman named Ed Ruth who turned out to be pretty good.  The fluky 0-2 his sophomore year is probably the biggest blemish. He also seemed to have some trouble with some of the longer/taller wrestlers at 174. But amazingly talented and I believe he is still the career wins leader at Cornell.

http://www.wrestlingstats.com/cornell/view_wrestlers.php?wrestler=98

And there have only been 12 4x champs in 115 year history of the EIWA. In the last 20 years it has been all Cornell. Mack is the only one of these who didn't also get an NCAA title.

Travis Lee, Cornell 125, 133
Mack Lewnes, Cornell 165, 174
Cam Simaz, Cornell 197
Nahshon Garrett, Cornell 125, 133
Gabe Dean, Cornell 184 

Edited by Red95