Sign in to follow this  
LHU125

Athletic Event Attendance

I'm going to try and create a different topic on this board. 

Even if the economy opens and NCAA football teams are allowed to compete, no shot fans are going to be allowed in stands anytime soon. The liability is too high and I really don't see it happening for at least a year. 

So, we're going to have to watch our favorite wrestlers likely on streaming and TV services. My question is how is the lack of fans at games/events going to impact revenue? Are schools just going to start charging outrageous stream services? 

Just some thoughts.

Well according to ADs like at ODU or UNC Greensboro, there is zero attendance at college wrestling meets, so it should not effect us at all.

ODUs attendance wasn’t stellar but I can tell you this, compared to the other sports except MBB, WBB and Football, wrestling’s attendance was on the upper half of the sports there. I started there in 1997. Marketing and Comms NEVER promoted the sports to even draw fans and everything that was there was due to the staff efforts. ODU’s attendance was a shade under 500 average this year. When they blame attendance, they blame the marketing dept for a crap job, but the blame falls on the sport. The VB/wrestling competition venue dragged because the school couldn’t raise money fast enough to build the BB practice venue so wrestling was in a cavernous 9000 set arena instead of the smaller venue planned. Again, leadership failures and failure to own it.

4 hours ago, SetonHallPirate said:

Clearly the UNC Greensboro AD never went to the Southern Scuffle...oh, wait.

I suspect she might have seen some of the setup and teardown, but never saw any action

I saw this, LSU has No Wrestling Program anymore, but this gives you an Idea of how NCAA Football Carries the Other Programs.    https://www.axios.com/newsletters/axios-sports-09309f8c-9702-4cc6-b640-b4c2523f76b6.html?chunk=1&utm_term=twsocialshare#story1

Do ANY Wrestling Schools make Money ?(Penn State, Iowa, Ok State ETC? )  Thank You in advance.

Edited by dougb

56 minutes ago, gimpeltf said:

It's been a few years but I don't remember the AD being there. I remember an assistant.

That assistant actually ran the event...

I bet Kim Record (the AD that dropped wrestling) was next door at the basketball game when they got pasted by Duke though...WHILE THE SCUFFLE WAS IN PROGRESS!

7 hours ago, JasonBryant said:

ODUs attendance wasn’t stellar but I can tell you this, compared to the other sports except MBB, WBB and Football, wrestling’s attendance was on the upper half of the sports there. I started there in 1997. Marketing and Comms NEVER promoted the sports to even draw fans and everything that was there was due to the staff efforts. ODU’s attendance was a shade under 500 average this year. When they blame attendance, they blame the marketing dept for a crap job, but the blame falls on the sport. The VB/wrestling competition venue dragged because the school couldn’t raise money fast enough to build the BB practice venue so wrestling was in a cavernous 9000 set arena instead of the smaller venue planned. Again, leadership failures and failure to own it.

9000 seats and 500 in attendance?  Has to be expensive to run a facility like that for the evening.

As of right now, fans are generally reluctant to attend sports events if there's no c19 vaccine, but would watch online or on tv even if there are no fans in the bleachers (http://board.themat.com/index.php?/topic/23919-impact-to-wrestling-if-football-moved-to-spring/&do=findComment&comment=517931). Media will have a lot of leverage with advertisers, esp since it's an election year.

If there is no vaccine, no instant test(that is cheap and easy enough to use a couple of times per week per person, that could be, No super reliable treatment and an Rfactor over0.3, do you see a season next year? (if I understand correctly an R factor of 0.3 wuld mean only 3 infected in 10 would pass the disease (once)  I understand Wuhan ps R-0.3, and I am pretty sure there is no close contact sport going on, 

Obviously, I hope I am overly pessimistic.

I do not believe there will be an MLB or NFL season.  2020/2021 season is a coin flip at best.  Even without fans, an athletic event is just begging for an outbreak especially in contact sports.  All it takes is a single asymptomatic carrier over a game, tournament to open pandora's box again.  Despite what a few have said, we are at least a year away from a vaccine at best.  Honestly sports are the least of my cares or worries right now. 

10 hours ago, spladle said:

I do not believe there will be an MLB or NFL season.  2020/2021 season is a coin flip at best.  Even without fans, an athletic event is just begging for an outbreak especially in contact sports.  All it takes is a single asymptomatic carrier over a game, tournament to open pandora's box again.  Despite what a few have said, we are at least a year away from a vaccine at best.  Honestly sports are the least of my cares or worries right now. 

Pretty fitting posting this on a sports message board...