LJB

Dake and JB FRL

26 minutes ago, 1032004 said:

He was talking about Andrew Howe right? I mean he did finish 1-2-2-3 at NCAA’s (and has a freestyle win over Dake)

i believe howe was brought up and also another name, but, i cant recall off the top of my head...

and no disrespect to howe at all, but, he isn't david taylor... not by a long shot... and you would agree if you were trying to argue for instead of against dake...

1 minute ago, VakAttack said:

Not an unfair argument.  Look, I think we're relatively closely aligned on this in general.  We both agree there's an advantage, we both agree that it's ok for there to be an advantage for the returning medalists, and we both agree that we like it better where it's not the same day for the best of 3.  Good game?

GG

1 hour ago, LJB said:

i believe howe was brought up and also another name, but, i cant recall off the top of my head...

and no disrespect to howe at all, but, he isn't david taylor... not by a long shot... and you would agree if you were trying to argue for instead of against dake...

Regardless, I don't really get that argument anyway.   Just because Burroughs may not have had a chance to beat someone the level of Taylor doesn't mean he wouldn't have if there was one.

1 minute ago, 1032004 said:

Regardless, I don't really get that argument anyway.   Just because Burroughs may not have had a chance to beat someone the level of Taylor doesn't mean he wouldn't have if there was one.

and if he had just said anything to that affect that would have been fine, but, he didn't... he could not even concede the painfully obvious... 

again... glimpses...

Loved the interview! Dake was just trying to play mind games, but it did come off as a bit annoying though. I can’t blame him for trying to get in Burroughs head...he knows it’s going to be a tough match and he will take any advantage he can get. I do feel bad for Burroughs that he was not aware he would be debating live with his biggest rival. That’s really not cool. Also, as for JB being a nice guy... yeah I think he is genuinely a nice guy. He is also extremely confident (borderline cocky) and a fierce competitor with a mean streak when he wrestles. But it is still possible for him to be a genuinely good guy off the mat, which he clearly is. 

I assume this has been brought up, but Dake was lying rather aggressively. For one I don't believe he forgot that Levallee took him down (particularly sense he was sure no one could beat him in a ride out), and secondly he was also beaten and taken down by Donnie Vinson that year. 

I can respect the idea that he was trying to rattle burroughs, but the dishonesty is pretty gross. 

1 hour ago, Plasmodium said:

Howe suffered a lot injuries during college.   He was at his peak when Burroughs beat him at Midlands, but then suffered a pulled hamstring and never quite made it back  to that level.

I've been torched on here for saying Spenser Lee isn't one of the toughest wrestlers in the NCAA....Andrew Howe is one of the toughest of the last 2 decades.

On 4/16/2020 at 2:06 PM, Billyhoyle said:

What has JB ever done in his career that makes you think he isn’t a nice guy? Everything that I’ve ever heard from first hand experiences with him is that he is extremely generous with his time to fans and I don’t ever recall him being disrespectful to his opponents. Yeah, you can cynically say the whole thing is an act, but there is zero evidence that this is the case. Some people are just very positive/nice, and I believe he is one of them. It’s part of why he’s the best ambassador for the sport in the history of USA wrestling. 

He talks a little trash, but nothing out of bounds, and I agree he's probably a pretty nice guy off the mat, and an excellent ambassador.  Not that he's alone in that regard, as J'den and Spencer seem poised to become the next faces of USA Wrestling, and will likely be just as effective.

I'm not a fan of his head tap/punches on the mat, but he's far from the only one pressing the rules as far as he can take them.  And if the refs don't call it, there's no incentive to reign it in.

3 hours ago, hammerlockthree said:

I assume this has been brought up, but Dake was lying rather aggressively. For one I don't believe he forgot that Levallee took him down (particularly sense he was sure no one could beat him in a ride out), and secondly he was also beaten and taken down by Donnie Vinson that year. 

I can respect the idea that he was trying to rattle burroughs, but the dishonesty is pretty gross. 

I can't recall the discussion that well, but are you sure Dake wasn't referencing 2013?  Levallee and Vinson beat him in 2011, when he wasn't nearly as dominant.

8 minutes ago, whaletail said:

I can't recall the discussion that well, but are you sure Dake wasn't referencing 2013?  Levallee and Vinson beat him in 2011, when he wasn't nearly as dominant.

Dake claimed at 16:35 that he gave up no TDs his sophmore year, and Burroughs said levallee beat him in the eiwa finals, Dake said "yeah but I didn't get taken down" and burroughs pressed him on it for 2 seconds and then Dake said yeah maybe i did. 

No way Dake forgot about those TDs, letalone a whole loss, he just had the benefit of the fact that the Flo guys either didn't know or would be scared to bring it up. 

13 minutes ago, hammerlockthree said:

Dake claimed at 16:35 that he gave up no TDs his sophmore year, and Burroughs said levallee beat him in the eiwa finals, Dake said "yeah but I didn't get taken down" and burroughs pressed him on it for 2 seconds and then Dake said yeah maybe i did. 

No way Dake forgot about those TDs, letalone a whole loss, he just had the benefit of the fact that the Flo guys either didn't know or would be scared to bring it up. 

Obviously not a good look then, and probably speaks to why I was hardly paying attention.  IMO, these types of "discussions" rarely leave either participant looking their best, and I'd rather they left it on the mat.

Also, as much as I'm a Dake fan, blindsiding JB like that felt pretty disrespectful, and I subsequently tuned most of the rest out.

1 hour ago, whaletail said:

Obviously not a good look then, and probably speaks to why I was hardly paying attention.  IMO, these types of "discussions" rarely leave either participant looking their best, and I'd rather they left it on the mat.

Also, as much as I'm a Dake fan, blindsiding JB like that felt pretty disrespectful, and I subsequently tuned most of the rest out.

I don't mind the nature of the discussion, just dakes lies. 

My friend has been to the OTC three times while both JB and Dake have been there. JB has taken all comers, wrestling anyone in the world who is there. He's also won all the sprints and done everything you would want your guy to do. Out of the three times that my buddy has been there, Dake has not wrestled one time, instead sitting on the sideline and watching.

12 minutes ago, Obelix said:

Out of the three times that my buddy has been there, Dake has not wrestled one time, instead sitting on the sideline and watching.

But he was in the body of a much much old man back then. 

Edited by MadMardigain

35 minutes ago, Obelix said:

My friend has been to the OTC three times while both JB and Dake have been there. JB has taken all comers, wrestling anyone in the world who is there. He's also won all the sprints and done everything you would want your guy to do. Out of the three times that my buddy has been there, Dake has not wrestled one time, instead sitting on the sideline and watching.

To be fair, Dake got worn down looking for his contact lens and didn't want to give a quarter percent advantage up. Burroughs doesn't even wear contracts, so they weren't on an even playing playing field. 

1 hour ago, Obelix said:

interesting