LJB

Dake and JB FRL

Unless I missed it, two factored that may have played into the Askren and Dake side that have not been mentioned: Askren was recently made a fool of by Burroughs on the mat (and then subsequently in the octagon) and may have been looking for payback. And Dake may be afraid that DT makes the Olympic team and wins gold while he sits home on his couch and the only thing he can do right now to ease his anxiety is poke the guy in his way. 

1 hour ago, wrestlingshoe said:

Unless I missed it, two factored that may have played into the Askren and Dake side that have not been mentioned: Askren was recently made a fool of by Burroughs on the mat (and then subsequently in the octagon) and may have been looking for payback. And Dake may be afraid that DT makes the Olympic team and wins gold while he sits home on his couch and the only thing he can do right now to ease his anxiety is poke the guy in his way. 

I doubt either played much of a role.

With an extra year, Dake can go up to 86kg if he wants, but regardless, I'm pretty confident he isn't resigned to sitting on his couch next summer.

As for Askren, if you think he seems like someone that holds a grudge, w'll just have to agree to disagree.  He obviously respects JB very much, and more importantly, has always taken his losses in stride.

5 hours ago, whaletail said:

I doubt either played much of a role.

With an extra year, Dake can go up to 86kg if he wants, but regardless, I'm pretty confident he isn't resigned to sitting on his couch next summer.

As for Askren, if you think he seems like someone that holds a grudge, w'll just have to agree to disagree.  He obviously respects JB very much, and more importantly, has always taken his losses in stride.

I understand your point. DT does have a much easier road to the Olympic team and thus the gold medal. No matter how confident Dake is I'm sure he recognizes the irony.  And as far as Askren, I'm inclined to agree with you, but his last three competitive bouts have got to bother him privately to some extent considering his competitiveness and bravado. And during this time of social isolation, thoughts tend to seep into your mind more often than normal.

Edited by wrestlingshoe

4 hours ago, wrestlingshoe said:

I understand your point. DT does have a much easier road to the Olympic team and thus the gold medal. No matter how confident Dake is I'm sure he recognizes the irony.  And as far as Askren, I'm inclined to agree with you, but his last three cooperative bouts have got to bother him privately to some extent considering his competitiveness and bravado. And during this time of social isolation, thoughts tend to seep into your mind more often than normal.

Would have loved to be a fly on DT's wall when he learned J'den was going 97, and of course I agree that he practically became a lock that day.

I also agree that, although he'll never admit it, it bothers Dake.  I just don't see it as consuming enough to create the situation you present, especially as Dake can always opt to go up to 86 himself.  In fact, now that he's been "gifted" an extra year, going up may offer the easiest path to Tokyo, and potentially a gold medal as well.

Only my opinion, obviously, and as a Dake fan, I'm certainly biased, but if he were that easily mentally sidetracked, wouldn't he have been broken earlier?

Although I didn't listen to the discussion very closely, I viewed it as more of a "two very competitive, confident alphas fighting over a fictional achievement, with no weapons beyond words" situation, rather than a planned attempt by Dake to get in JB's head a year before.

Just my opinion.

My thoughts on Askren are just as speculative, but I view him as more of a prankster than a Machiavelli.  I'll acknowledge that he doesn't worship JB the way Pyles does, but neither does he dismiss JB's accomplishments or ability.

I also suspect he accepted that BTS offer fully aware he was going to get clobbered, but was willing to take one on the metaphoric chin for the team (in this case, to add his "starpower" to a good cause).  Maybe I'm being way too generous, but he honestly comes off, to me at least, as incredibly well adjusted, and unlikely to let much bother him.

Although I agree, with so much free time available, insidious thoughts can creep in, but in Ben's case, I feel like he'd just go off and split some wood before allowing such thoughts the opportunity to grow any roots.

Again, just my opinion.

19 hours ago, whaletail said:

Would have loved to be a fly on DT's wall when he learned J'den was going 97, and of course I agree that he practically became a lock that day.

I also agree that, although he'll never admit it, it bothers Dake.  I just don't see it as consuming enough to create the situation you present, especially as Dake can always opt to go up to 86 himself.  In fact, now that he's been "gifted" an extra year, going up may offer the easiest path to Tokyo, and potentially a gold medal as well.

Only my opinion, obviously, and as a Dake fan, I'm certainly biased, but if he were that easily mentally sidetracked, wouldn't he have been broken earlier?

Although I didn't listen to the discussion very closely, I viewed it as more of a "two very competitive, confident alphas fighting over a fictional achievement, with no weapons beyond words" situation, rather than a planned attempt by Dake to get in JB's head a year before.

Just my opinion.

My thoughts on Askren are just as speculative, but I view him as more of a prankster than a Machiavelli.  I'll acknowledge that he doesn't worship JB the way Pyles does, but neither does he dismiss JB's accomplishments or ability.

I also suspect he accepted that BTS offer fully aware he was going to get clobbered, but was willing to take one on the metaphoric chin for the team (in this case, to add his "starpower" to a good cause).  Maybe I'm being way too generous, but he honestly comes off, to me at least, as incredibly well adjusted, and unlikely to let much bother him.

Although I agree, with so much free time available, insidious thoughts can creep in, but in Ben's case, I feel like he'd just go off and split some wood before allowing such thoughts the opportunity to grow any roots.

Again, just my opinion.

I do agree with a lot of what you say, except, if Dake were to go up to 86 he would be running from the man he just blind sided. Would be a no win for him.  I am a JB fan and hope he wins, but I also know the reality of time. It will be a highly anticipated series and one more year will only intensify the drama. 

It might be kind of funny if someone like Nolf or IMAR make a big jump in the next year and take out both Dake and Borroughs, who get to sit on their couches, watch the Olympics, and argue who is second-best

Edited by dmm53

On 4/19/2020 at 1:18 AM, whaletail said:

bah gawd that's Blue Dragon's music!!

I'm going right to the end of this thread for a question I have. Did Flo edit out the first eight minutes or so of the interview with a match between Nolf and Gantt from Bill Farrell, I think? I watched it this morning for the first time and went back to it three times thinking my computer was messed up. Once it made it past the match Burroughs and Dake were already going at it.

14 hours ago, Tofurky said:

Mine came from YouTube, so... ?

https://youtu.be/PGr2rGP4xaA

Also, IMar and Gantt. My apologies for that mistake.

Would you mind posting that, please?

I usually watch on Youtube as well, and I do think that one was cut off at the beginning.  Although they've had several episodes start out with a couple seconds of random matches I assume unintentionally before going to the show.

For non-Flo subscribers, try this:

https://flowrestlingradiolive.libsyn.com/frl-484-jordan-burroughs-kyle-dake-debate-each-other-abouteverything

I see the top cocky stuff or insults to Jordan from  Dake, but haven't heard the one at the end that Dake says at the end of the interview  I want to see you leave your shoes? that I think is bush

15 hours ago, silver said:

I see the top cocky stuff or insults to Jordan from  Dake, but haven't heard the one at the end that Dake says at the end of the interview  I want to see you leave your shoes? that I think is bush

Agree 100%

On 4/22/2020 at 10:47 PM, silver said:

Yeah, not at all classy. I would have liked Dake to leave it at, "Hey, JB, after I beat you at OTT, I'll let you be my training partner for Tokyo, where you can watch me win gold from your seat in the stands."

Dake didn't need to show JB up like that.  He is beating him in the trials anyway and should have let JB retire with dignity after their best of 3.  No need for him to say anything...this is the match everyone is looking forward to the most.

1 hour ago, ShakaAloha said:

Dake didn't need to show JB up like that.  He is beating him in the trials anyway and should have let JB retire with dignity after their best of 3.  No need for him to say anything...this is the match everyone is looking forward to the most.

Show him up?  He sounded like a kook

I was pulling for Dake but now hope JB has one more run in the tank. Vegas odds have to favor Dake but I really hope JB makes history. If he wins this and then Olympic Gold it will be his biggest feat and it would put him as our greatest wrestler.

Edited by PRyan2012

1 hour ago, PRyan2012 said:

I was pulling for Dake but know hope JB has one more run in the tank. Vegas odds have to favor Dake but I really hope JB makes history. If he wins this and then Olympic Gold it will be his biggest feat and it would put him as our greatest wrestler.

I sort of feel the same way.

I had Dake as a slight favorite to beat JB at OTT based on Dake's back to back World gold and JB's back to back World bronze. Also the fact that JB had many very close matches the past 2 years plus it looks like Dake is extremely dangerous now with his upper body throws, from anywhere.

Again, I'm not taking the interview too seriously (maybe Dake was playing it up, I don't know) but after dissing JB like that, sports karma might have JB giving Dake an old fashioned schoolyard beatdown. (Ok, now I'm playing it up a little.)

But seriously, like I posted before, may the best wrestler win. Really hope both guys stay nice and healthy and totally looking forward to this showdown.

As if Dake's scripted antics were not easy enough to see through, he gave himself away by explicitly stating his intention to create doubt in JB's mind.  When Dake loses, again, fans will get joy from JB's payback.  Or, when Dake has a gold medal around his neck, fans will give Dake kudos for his gamesmanship.  JB does not seem to care one bit about Dake's growing youth or his concern about JB's tissues. I wish this match was tonight!

image.png