Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Anyone watch the zoom town-hall type conference call ASU had? Couple interesting things Zeke mentioned. Talked about a “couple” recruits he was excited about coming in. Also talked of a big time transfer. He mentioned Belshay being the favorite to take 184. I’m hoping Zane Coleman changes that. 125 for next year he said Courtney. Raimo at 133. Chlebove and Belton up at 141/49. Mentioned Zahid being eligible for Olympic qualifying next year, so I don’t see him training anywhere else. There has been no official Mark Perry announcement. What’s taking so long? 

Edited by gobraves101905

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Is there a recording? I’m assuming the big time transfer comes in at a weight of need. Who’s in the portal they could use? I’m assuming they have to wait until they are in the portal in order to contact. Of course we don’t necessarily know everyone in the portal. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Can't help but think ASU suicided their wrestling program by throwing Zahid to the wolves. And for what? NCAAs ended up getting canceled anyway, so ASU showed their asses for nothing and all they ended up doing was alienating fans of Zahid (a LOT of people).  That whole debacle was screwed from start to finish and ASU's refusal to give out any possibly mitigating details is infuriating. If ASU is just doing what they have to do, then they need to make sure we know that it wasn't just a "judgement call".

The whole Zahid thing is going to crush that program.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, TobusRex said:

Can't help but think ASU suicided their wrestling program by throwing Zahid to the wolves. And for what? NCAAs ended up getting canceled anyway, so ASU showed their asses for nothing and all they ended up doing was alienating fans of Zahid (a LOT of people).  That whole debacle was screwed from start to finish and ASU's refusal to give out any possibly mitigating details is infuriating. If ASU is just doing what they have to do, then they need to make sure we know that it wasn't just a "judgement call".

The whole Zahid thing is going to crush that program.

 

Zahid and JO, right? I think Oliver was training at ASU when he got dinged and then suspended for PEDs. Both may have been innocent mistakes, but without any sort of explanation it’s not a good look for the program’s management.

Edited by pamela

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If the town hall information is correct then it doesn't seem to have had a huge effect. However, there could still be more to happen in terms of the story itself and anyone who might leave. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, TobusRex said:

Can't help but think ASU suicided their wrestling program by throwing Zahid to the wolves. And for what? NCAAs ended up getting canceled anyway, so ASU showed their asses for nothing and all they ended up doing was alienating fans of Zahid (a LOT of people).  That whole debacle was screwed from start to finish and ASU's refusal to give out any possibly mitigating details is infuriating. If ASU is just doing what they have to do, then they need to make sure we know that it wasn't just a "judgement call".

The whole Zahid thing is going to crush that program.

 

I was thinking just the opposite. Now ASU gets to claim they have integrity without actually sacrificing anything (since Zahid wasn't going to win a title title anyways due to cancellation).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, gobraves101905 said:

Anyone watch the zoom town-hall type conference call ASU had? Couple interesting things Zeke mentioned. Talked about a “couple” recruits he was excited about coming in. Also talked of a big time transfer. He mentioned Belshay being the favorite to take 184. I’m hoping Zane Coleman changes that. 125 for next year he said Courtney. Raimo at 133. Chlebove and Belton up at 141/49. Mentioned Zahid being eligible for Olympic qualifying next year, so I don’t see him training anywhere else. There has been no official Mark Perry announcement. What’s taking so long? 

WHERE can one watch this "zoom town-hall type conference call"?  Did he mention Munoz at all?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, gobraves101905 said:

Anyone watch the zoom town-hall type conference call ASU had? Couple interesting things Zeke mentioned. Talked about a “couple” recruits he was excited about coming in. Also talked of a big time transfer. He mentioned Belshay being the favorite to take 184. I’m hoping Zane Coleman changes that. 125 for next year he said Courtney. Raimo at 133. Chlebove and Belton up at 141/49. Mentioned Zahid being eligible for Olympic qualifying next year, so I don’t see him training anywhere else. There has been no official Mark Perry announcement. What’s taking so long? 

I'm also hoping to see Coleman take the job at 184. With that being said Belshay is an overlooked option. Won Reno this year at 97s, and I think with a full season at the weight he has a legitimate shot at earning a qualification for the conference. Also very interested in seeing who this transfer is. Weiler from Lehigh makes some sense, unless Coleman does indeed end up being a legitimate long-term option. Only other guy I can think of that would make sense for their lineup holes is possibly Mitch Moore. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What I found to be VERY interesting was Zeke's comment regarding Missouri joining the PAC 12.   I had not heard ANYTHING about that being a possibility.   He mentioned it at about the 30 minutes mark of this video and said "Missouri is a team that we've got on the radar for the PAC 12 comin down the next couple years - joining the Conference - not a done deal again but it's something we're working on"

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Bronco said:

What I found to be VERY interesting was Zeke's comment regarding Missouri joining the PAC 12.   I had not heard ANYTHING about that being a possibility.   He mentioned it at about the 30 minutes mark of this video and said "Missouri is a team that we've got on the radar for the PAC 12 comin down the next couple years - joining the Conference - not a done deal again but it's something we're working on"

 

My understanding is this discussion started 2 years ago and has continued to be part of the discussion (even last year when adding LR). In the article from May 2019 the assistant commissioner stated that several teams were being considered and they wanted to add more than just LR. . If I remember correctly Missouri now has the option of changing conferences due to contractual agreements. Someone who is more privy to the Missouri contractual side can speak to that.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What I got out of Zeke Jones' comments about the ASU lineup for next season is the following:

125 lbs - Brandon Courtney stays at 125 lbs and Nick Raimo moves up to 133 lbs.  So what happens if Courtney suffers a season ending injury?

133 - Nick Raimo

141 - Chlebove & Belton

149 - Crooks or Chlebove or Belton

157 - Teemer

165 - Valencia or Munoz

174 - Valencia or Munoz

184 - Belshay

197 - Norfleet

285 - Schultz

Plus there IS an "elite" transfer coming to Arizona State - who apparently can't yet be mentioned publicly.  I have to think this elite transfer is for one of three weight classes - 141, 149 or 165.

Edited by Bronco
addition

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Idaho said:

My understanding is this discussion started 2 years ago and has continued to be part of the discussion (even last year when adding LR). In the article from May 2019 the assistant commissioner stated that several teams were being considered and they wanted to add more than just LR. . If I remember correctly Missouri now has the option of changing conferences due to contractual agreements. Someone who is more privy to the Missouri contractual side can speak to that.   

Thanks for that Idaho.  I had not heard anything about that.  But it's certainly interesting and I sincerely hope it occurs in the next few years.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Bronco said:

Thanks for that Idaho.  I had not heard anything about that.  But it's certainly interesting and I sincerely hope it occurs in the next few years.

Agree 100% - would love to see Missouri come to the conference! It would make financial sense for teams like UVU, FSU, Cal Baptist, Wyoming and N. Colorado to come aboard and make a Pac12 out of all Western teams. Should be hearing more news about this in the coming couple months, but as everyone knows everything is at a standstill and university budgets are frozen and hurting. 

As a side note - I hand it to Zeke for pushing to expand the conference. Everything I have heard and in the articles that have come out, he has been at the forefront. They can't leave for another conference because they are a member so they go the route of adding. Kudos to him and the other Pac12 coaches wanting to add. 

Edited by Idaho

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Missouri joining the PAC-12 makes little sense to me outside of being in a more stable conference. It would drastically increase costs, provide little recruiting upside and ultimately be a pain for the fans. Who knows how COVID-19 impacts athletic budgets, but Mizzou wrestling and Mizzou fans benefit from wrestling teams like Illinois, Iowa St., Oklahoma St. and other former regional rivals. 

Oregon St., Arizona St. and Stanford offer nothing from a fan perspective and Missouri isn't going to start recruiting California heavily. Zeke is a natural salesman, so I get why he wants to add Missouri, but I see zero upside for Tigerstyle.

According to Idaho, the topic of Missouri joining was brought-up two years ago. That makes sense because the MAC was suffereing and had recently seen Northern Iowa leave and Eastern Michigan shutdown the program. Although the ODU news stings, the MAC still has 14 teams and gives Missouri access to Illinois, Ohio,  Pennsylvania and Michigan to recruit from. That is much, much more fertile territory than Arizona, Oregon or California. 

Best case for Missouri would be Big Ten teams like Iowa scheduling them and the Big12 allowing them to rejoin. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Downtown Brown said:

Why couldn’t they still wrestle those big time teams? Would Oklahoma State not wrestle them if they were Pac 12 instead of MAC?

Sure, they could. But what would it cost to fly to Phoenix, Palo Alto and Corvallis versus driving to Northern Illinois, Central Michigan and Southern Illinois Edwardsville? So your costs go up, but the competition really doesn't.

Currently, Mizzou's annual schedule breaks down into this with minor variations from year-to-year.

Home/Away duals out-of-conference:

Virginia Tech

Iowa State

Northern Iowa 

Oklahoma St. 

Illinois 

Neutral Site Duals (South Beach Duals):

Wyoming

Lower-tier Big Ten team Ala Purdue or Michigan St.

Cornell 

Lehigh

Conference Duals: 

Central Michigan 

Buffalo

SIU-E

Northern Illinois

Cleveland St. 

Kent St. 

Ohio 

Old Dominion 

Variable Duals: Opponents we have wrestled regularly, but not annually

Virginia 

Oklahoma

Arizona St.

Ohio st.

Nebraska

Conclusion: The only way Missouri could enhance it's dual-meet season would be to convince Iowa or Penn St. to travel to Columbia. That would get 4-6,000 fans in the seats and would be broadcast on ESPN3. Mizzou already annually wrestles the top 4 teams in the Big12, top 2 teams in EIWA, top team in PAC12 and a couple solid opponents like Illinois and Central Michigan.

Adding Oregon St., Fresno St. or Stanford does nothing for attendance, recruiting or level-of-competition. It's too bad the Brands brothers won't agree to a home-and-home series with Mizzou.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, MizzouGrad said:

Sure, they could. But what would it cost to fly to Phoenix, Palo Alto and Corvallis versus driving to Northern Illinois, Central Michigan and Southern Illinois Edwardsville? So your costs go up, but the competition really doesn't.

Currently, Mizzou's annual schedule breaks down into this with minor variations from year-to-year.

Home/Away duals out-of-conference:

Virginia Tech

Iowa State

Northern Iowa 

Oklahoma St. 

Illinois 

Neutral Site Duals (South Beach Duals):

Wyoming

Lower-tier Big Ten team Ala Purdue or Michigan St.

Cornell 

Lehigh

Conference Duals: 

Central Michigan 

Buffalo

SIU-E

Northern Illinois

Cleveland St. 

Kent St. 

Ohio 

Old Dominion 

Variable Duals: Opponents we have wrestled regularly, but not annually

Virginia 

Oklahoma

Arizona St.

Ohio st.

Nebraska

Conclusion: The only way Missouri could enhance it's dual-meet season would be to convince Iowa or Penn St. to travel to Columbia. That would get 4-6,000 fans in the seats and would be broadcast on ESPN3. Mizzou already annually wrestles the top 4 teams in the Big12, top 2 teams in EIWA, top team in PAC12 and a couple solid opponents like Illinois and Central Michigan.

Adding Oregon St., Fresno St. or Stanford does nothing for attendance, recruiting or level-of-competition. It's too bad the Brands brothers won't agree to a home-and-home series with Mizzou.

 

 

Sorry but I don't follow your logic - Your conference duals are: Central Michigan , Buffalo, SIU, Northern Illinois, Cleveland St. , Kent St. , Ohio , Old Dominion- How does replacing this schedule have anything whatsoever to do with the ability to still keep all the  home/away, neutral site and variable duals? I fail to see how replacing your conference schools affects this? if I remember correctly the PAC 12 does not require a full conference schedule. You had 8 duals in conference - you would now have 6 which opens up 2 duals/dates to do whatever you want with. Besides it's not like your conference schedule is stellar????   Northern Illinois, Central Michigan and Southern Illinois Edwardsville is better competition wise than Arizona State, Stanford and Oregon State?  SIE was #68 out of 79 on westlestat in dual rankings. Arizona State and Stanford  were ahead  of all three in the dual rankings. Had the Zahid thing not happened they were top 5.  

From a geographical standpoint - and expenses standpoint I would agree. It is odd to have LR and if Missouri came to have two teams for far out of the region. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...