Jump to content
Pinnum

2020 D1 All-Americans.

Recommended Posts

I thought 2nd team and HM are generous.  Top 16 is a lot. But I'm happy they awarded them. I would have preferred they award places based on seed to 8. 
My guess would be they decided to go that route since the seeds never play out perfectly. Inevitably some of those guys would have placed. These kids worked their asses off and had the opportunity ripped away from them, so why not be a little generous? I don't understand the dude getting so butt hurt about this.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not sure why people are upset about this.

It is great for the schools to be able to claim their AAs. Especially at a vulnerable time for our sport. And even more so for some programs that need some extra coverage.

we all know there are some guys who sneak into a top seed because of a weaker schedule. These generally come from schools that might be at risk given the current circumstances. Not saying any of these guys are that, just a general observation.

Think about Campbell. Just lost their coaching staff. Now would be an easier time to drop the program and blame the virus. Maybe having AAs prevents that.

Think about Rider & Utah Valley. Maybe these schools weren’t at risk but national tournament success hasn’t been great as of late.

How might this help recruiting at schools like Purdue and Michigan State that are trying to catch up with others in a tough conference. 

the guys who worked hard all year and got seeded got named All-Americans.

I promise you, the wrestlers dont get much satisfaction, if any, from it but I truly hope they do. I think they should feel proud of the season they had.

in the grand scheme of life, what is accomplished at the highest levels is not as important as getting there. It is to them personally but not out in the real world.

for those that know wrestling, being an AA or NC is super impressive but for those that don’t know the sport, being a college wrestler makes you a badass, hard working person. Even if you were a backup with a losing record.

wrestling, and sports in general, teach us so many valuable lessons. I think all former wrestlers learned the lesson of working your ass off, living right and still not reaching your goals. But these guys are learning that you can do all the right things and not even get the opportunity to prove yourself. Sometimes life just isn’t fair. It may be the most powerful lesson these wrestlers, and all the athletes across the different sports, will ever learn from athletics.

Dont hate on the naming of All Americans. Not an ideal situation because the world is not ideal right now.

so many more important things to worry about! 

hope everyone stays safe out there and congrats to the 2020 All-Americans.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, Savage74 said:

How might this help recruiting at schools like Purdue and Michigan State that are trying to catch up with others in a tough conference. 

Ersland has had the Boilers trending up, but hadn’t been able to break through with an All American yet. Now Purdue has the most All Americans in a season in their history. I sure hope that validates the program to some future blue chippers, namely Jesse Mendez and Zeke Seltzer coming up in Indiana. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Thor77 said:

Ersland has had the Boilers trending up, but hadn’t been able to break through with an All American yet. Now Purdue has the most All Americans in a season in their history. I sure hope that validates the program to some future blue chippers, namely Jesse Mendez and Zeke Seltzer coming up in Indiana. 

Exactly!

I guess my message wasn't clear enough but that was a rhetorical question (without a question mark, I know). Something for people who are against this to think about and try to see the positive side for different schools out there.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Tommy Payan said:

No tournament was held....no placements......don't care what football or basketball does....means nothing.

So the entire wrestling season should just be one tournament, so 3 days long?  Because that’s all that matters?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Crotalus said:

My guess would be they decided to go that route since the seeds never play out perfectly. Inevitably some of those guys would have placed. These kids worked their asses off and had the opportunity ripped away from them, so why not be a little generous? I don't understand the dude getting so butt hurt about this.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
 

Caleb Young over Peyton Robb lol

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, aknipp said:

It looks that way to me. Seeds 1-8 are 1st team, 9-12 2nd and 13-16 tHM. 

I have never heard of second team all-americans before. Having 8 all-americans in each weight seems like more than enough and certainly more thin in basketball or even football.

I do agree with the naming of an AA team because that lets a kid put AA on his resume, which will help him in any field, not just coaching.

 

 

 

Edited by NJDan

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Schuteandscore said:

So the entire wrestling season should just be one tournament, so 3 days long?  Because that’s all that matters?

I think that's an oversimplification.  The season includes medals handed out at CKLV, Midlands, conference tournaments.  It includes regular season conference championships, etc.  The victories and losses all go to career totals.  All of those things matter on their own, separate from the three days in March.  But AA has always been determined by a wrestler's results in those three days.

Football and basketball (team sports) always award their individual AAs based on subjective methods.  Wrestling, an individual sport, determines individual AAs on the mat.  The term "blood round" encapsulates everything that comes with that.

Naming AAs this year based on seeding criteria, not head-to-head matchups in a 33 man draw, completely changes that.  I can see the argument for what they did, and don't think it's particularly objectionable, but I would probably vote for not having done it. 

Sometimes things out of your control (wars, player strikes, pandemics) prevent sports from holding tournaments.  The consequence of that is that the awards usually determined by those tournaments are never earned.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, drag it said:

I think that's an oversimplification.  The season includes medals handed out at CKLV, Midlands, conference tournaments.  It includes regular season conference championships, etc.  The victories and losses all go to career totals.  All of those things matter on their own, separate from the three days in March.  But AA has always been determined by a wrestler's results in those three days.

Football and basketball (team sports) always award their individual AAs based on subjective methods.  Wrestling, an individual sport, determines individual AAs on the mat.  The term "blood round" encapsulates everything that comes with that.

Naming AAs this year based on seeding criteria, not head-to-head matchups in a 33 man draw, completely changes that.  I can see the argument for what they did, and don't think it's particularly objectionable, but I would probably vote for not having done it. 

Sometimes things out of your control (wars, player strikes, pandemics) prevent sports from holding tournaments.  The consequence of that is that the awards usually determined by those tournaments are never earned.

No, let me clarify, I agree with all of that and also love the fact that it’s earned in wrestling and would much rather see the tournament play out and see the wrestlers earn it, as normal.  However, I do not disagree with what they did and the reason I responded above is because the comment seemed to say nothing matters because we didn’t have the tournament.  That to me is oversimplification, not my response to a shortsighted comment.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ConnorsDad said:

Your opinion. Very few, if anybody on here, agree with you.

Thanks ConnorsDad, It is only my opinion but some posters are getting way too excited about this issue. Believe me I do understand the efforts and commitments wrestlers make throughout the season, (I wrestled and coached for years), It just seems to me that by passing out AA status to 16+ wrestlers cheapens the honor.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/18/2020 at 1:07 PM, VakAttack said:

LOL what?  They wrestled twice, Young won the first one, Robb won the second one.  Young had the better body of work, and thus was seeded higher.

....and didn’t place at the big 10 tournament...actually didn’t even win a match there

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...