Pinnum

2020 D1 All-Americans.

On 4/17/2020 at 6:10 PM, Tommy Payan said:

Means nothing......you didn't wrestle......you didn't earn anything.

You sound like a guy who was JV his whole life but tells people how amazing you were. You now force your kids into activities, even though they hate them, in hopes of raising a “champion”. You sit in the stands and yell “I taught them that” after every little success. When your kids get to high school, or if they already have, you tell everyone you meet that they have been offered scholarships to certain schools, even DIII schools that don’t offer them.

You are a sad, miserable person who probably bought an old high school and/or college letter jacket, displaying it proudly in your living room, even though you never earned it.

With that said, relax Uncle Rico, your jealousy is blinding.

On 4/17/2020 at 5:28 PM, AHamilton said:

They wrestled all year.

I agree!  It's not optimum, but it's waaaay better than nothing for these guys.  Personally I don't like the idea of naming a champion team, but at first I didn't care to name AA's but man does this feel better for these men.  I can live with any decision the NCAA makes.  If you have to give it to one team it surely has to be the Hawks.  I don't think it was a decided deal, but no doubt they were the best team through out the year.

On 4/17/2020 at 6:10 PM, Tommy Payan said:

Means nothing......you didn't wrestle......you didn't earn anything.

Means nothing to a lot of people.  I asked my wife, and she says, "listen, if they didn't get at least one Tony Award nomination - they are nothing to me."

But it will mean something to most serious wresting fans.

46 minutes ago, JerryCallo said:

Am I missing something?  I thought the top 8 were AA - now it is the top 16? 

NWCA All-Americans are whatever the NWCA says it is...  The NCAA doesn't award All-American honors. 

3 hours ago, HokieHWT said:

I hope we keep tapping that pipeline.

I don't see that happening...Lewis and McFadden left NJ before Rutgers showed they can have Champions. Do you want to go to wrestle in the Southeast in front of 75 fans or do you want to wrestle for the Best conference in USA in front of thousands of fans. Wrestling against Virginia or Duke is like a middle school atmosphere in PA or NJ..VT caught lightning with those guys..Doubt it will ever happen again

Edited by moveurfeet32

21 minutes ago, moveurfeet32 said:

I don't see that happening...Lewis and McFadden left NJ before Rutgers showed they can have Champions. Do you want to go to wrestle in the Southeast in front of 75 fans or do you want to wrestle for the Best conference in USA in front of thousands of fans. Wrestling against Virginia or Duke is like a middle school atmosphere in PA or NJ..VT caught lightning with those guys..Doubt it will ever happen again

Those NC State duals vs UNC and Va Tech were electric, nothing second rate about them as far as either the wrestling or the substantial and boisterous crowds.  

As far as the specific comparison, I'd be (very) surprised if Rutgers has more points at the next half dozen NCAAs then VaTech.  

14 minutes ago, drag it said:

Those NC State duals vs UNC and Va Tech were electric, nothing second rate about them as far as either the wrestling or the substantial and boisterous crowds.  

As far as the specific comparison, I'd be (very) surprised if Rutgers has more points at the next half dozen NCAAs then VaTech.  

The ACC is has a 6 man bracket for Wrestling (possibly) ..they have limited Fans and North Carolina and Virginia fans are clueless about Wrestling

10 hours ago, moveurfeet32 said:

The ACC is has a 6 man bracket for Wrestling (possibly) ..they have limited Fans and North Carolina and Virginia fans are clueless about Wrestling

Are you talking about UNC and UVA fans or VA and NC fans?

Based on the recent past up to and including this year, Rutgers is the team that caught lightning in a bottle with Ashnault and Suriano. Rutgers has never once, in its entire history, had more than 2 placers in one season. Virginia Tech has done it 7 years in a row. Calm down, [mention]moveurfeet32 [/mention]

21 hours ago, Pinnum said:

NWCA All-Americans are whatever the NWCA says it is...  The NCAA doesn't award All-American honors. 

You mean all these years we have been identifying the top 4, then top 6 and now Top 8 finishers at the D-1 NCAA Championships as All Americans and that is wrong?  There are NO AA's in wrestling?  I am very confused by that.  Please explain. 

NCAA determines top 8 placewinners. NWCA recognizes All-Americans. The definitions have blurred together over the years. When a wrestler gets an All-American certificate, it comes from the NWCA and always has. When a wrestler places in the NCAA tournament, the NCAA gives an award to that individual.

So if that is the case, then it sounds like the NWCA just doubled the number of wrestlers it recognized as being All Americans from 8 per weight class in previous years, to 16 this year?  I get that the criteria is different, since they previously recognized AA as the top 8 finishers in the Tourney, but now that there is no Tourney, they are recognizing 16 in each weight class?  8 on the  "first team", 4 "second team" and 4 "Honorable Mention" AA's?

Edited by JerryCallo
typo

1 hour ago, JerryCallo said:

So if that is the case, then it sounds like the NWCA just doubled the number of wrestlers it recognized as being All Americans from 8 per weight class in previous years, to 16 this year?  I get that the criteria is different, since they previously recognized AA as the top 8 finishers in the Tourney, but now that there is no Tourney, they are recognizing 16 in each weight class?  8 on the  "first team", 4 "second team" and 4 "Honorable Mention" AA's?

Since typically maybe 75% of the AAs were top 8 seeds and maybe 90% were top 12 seeds it was a reasonable approach. You know some 9-12 seeds would have made the podium and probably a couple 13-16 as well. Perfect?  No far from it. Better than not awarding AA at all? IMHO yes. 

I don't really care for changing the definition of All-American for just one year, but some recognition is appropriate I think. I don't know what that would be, however.

The NCAA typically gives each participants a memento of some type like a jacket or backpack. Sadly, these were not given to the qualifiers this year.