RegularStalling

4x CA State Champ Jesse Vasquez to Arizona State

Jesse has always been something of an enigma on the California wrestling scene. He's attended three high schools, and wrestled an almost nonexistent regular season schedule over the past two seasons. When he's competed in state, he's for the most part cruised through it. Vasquez is as good as it gets on his feet, and although he could definitely fill the void for ASU at 149 in year one, I think a redshirt year would do him a lot of good. Either way, Vasquez looks to be a mainstay in the middle of the sun devil lineup for the foreseeable future with multiple time AA potential. He'll come to Tempe after considering the likes of Princeton, Michigan, Duke, Ohio State, and Cornell.

I’m glad he landed at ASU and hope he does well. He would benefit from a redshirt. With that said, not to be Debbie Downer but....Naser, Villarreal , Demison, Belton. A Valencia - ASU has not exactly set the world on fire with multiple time California state champs.  

1 minute ago, Idaho said:

I’m glad he landed at ASU and hope he does well. He would benefit from a redshirt. With that said, not to be Debbie Downer but....Naser, Villarreal , Demison, Belton. A Valencia - ASU has not exactly set the world on fire with multiple time California state champs.  

Very, very true. I hear some guy named Mark Perry has had some success with Cali guys though :)

13 minutes ago, Idaho said:

The only guy on your list that has disappointed is really Valencia. 3 conference titles but yet to AA is disappointing. 

You don’t think the ASU staff had higher hopes or expectations for any of those other kids? I think Nasser, Villarreal, Denison all had good potential and haven’t met it. Maybe nobody’s fault at all, but I’d say they definitely had a projected higher level then they’ve attained.

1 hour ago, Downtown Brown said:

You don’t think the ASU staff had higher hopes or expectations for any of those other kids? I think Nasser, Villarreal, Denison all had good potential and haven’t met it. Maybe nobody’s fault at all, but I’d say they definitely had a projected higher level then they’ve attained.

Two of the 3 are gone. Demison is a phenomenal athlete, probably a better football player than wrestler. But everyone at the college level is a phenomenal athlete so you better find another gear.

Edited by gobraves101905

26 minutes ago, CoachWrestling said:

There's something brewing in ASU, they could contend for a national title soon. I think they get one in about 5 years. That coaching staff might be the best in the country with the addition of Perry at this point. 

184 looks like a hole could be brewing and 197. Havent heard much from Coleman or Good since they have been there. There is potential, so hopefully one or the other is the next Norfleet.

Edited by gobraves101905

26 minutes ago, CoachWrestling said:

There's something brewing in ASU, they could contend for a national title soon. I think they get one in about 5 years. That coaching staff might be the best in the country with the addition of Perry at this point. 

Almost an exact post to what was put on here 5 years ago when the Valencia’s Maruca and shields arrived. We shall see. 

1 hour ago, gobraves101905 said:

The only guy on your list that has disappointed is really Valencia. 3 conference titles but yet to AA is disappointing. 

Nope. Villarreal was a 3x state champ ranked high coming out of high school. Belton and Demoson are wait and see but it can’t be good if they are looking for guys to replace you Both 2x champs and ranked pretty high.  Btw how many AA from 149 down since 2014? 

In 2017, 2018, 2019, there was only 13 All Americans from the state of California. 4 of them came from ASU. California is not quite the wrestling powerhouse it has been maybe. But ASU has not had as many on the podium as they probably should have.  For me, Maruca was the only big fail from the 149 and below guys.  Nikko was 2 years out of HS before he stepped on the mat for ASU. He also quit before his senior year. Passion was lost before he even got there. High hopes for Raimo and Chlebove.

Edited by gobraves101905

Hmmm .... Princeton or ASU .... hmmm.  Which to pick? (Assuming he got into Princeton)

Would be so interested to be a fly on the wall to hear the thought processes on making a decision like this.  In particular short-term vs long-term trade offs.  Lots of variables that lead to happiness and which vary from person to person.  

8 minutes ago, nom said:

Hmmm .... Princeton or ASU .... hmmm.  Which to pick? (Assuming he got into Princeton)

Would be so interested to be a fly on the wall to hear the thought processes on making a decision like this.  In particular short-term vs long-term trade offs.  Lots of variables that lead to happiness and which vary from person to person.  

I heard it was between ASU and Iowa those were his final 2 

8 hours ago, gobraves101905 said:

In 2017, 2018, 2019, there was only 13 All Americans from the state of California. 4 of them came from ASU. California is not quite the wrestling powerhouse it has been maybe. But ASU has not had as many on the podium as they probably should have.  For me, Maruca was the only big fail from the 149 and below guys.  Nikko was 2 years out of HS before he stepped on the mat for ASU. He also quit before his senior year. Passion was lost before he even got there. High hopes for Raimo and Chlebove.

Did you mean 13 total placements? I only see Pagdilao 1x and Z Valencia 3x from CA placing for ASU in those years. The only 149 or below AA they have had since 2011 is Tsirtsis who doesn't really count in some ways because he was a 5th year transfer and former champ. All that to say that I agree - California is not the powerhouse it has been in years past. And ASU has had trouble developing lighter weights. They certainly have the guys to do it right now with Courtney, Raimo, Chlebove so time will tell. Raimo might be the odd man out next year. 

11 hours ago, gobraves101905 said:

I hear you. I do think Anthony was AAing this year, but whatever. Easy to say I guess

10 hours ago, Idaho said:

Almost an exact post to what was put on here 5 years ago when the Valencia’s Maruca and shields arrived. We shall see. 

True, but to be fair Zeke lost the senior year for that recruiting class. ASU legitimately had 7 AA threats, all ranked top 10. This was the year.

With Zahid’s antics, it wasn’t going to happen, but man before that ASU was looking like a podium team

9 minutes ago, Housebuye said:

True, but to be fair Zeke lost the senior year for that recruiting class. ASU legitimately had 7 AA threats, all ranked top 10. This was the year.

With Zahid’s antics, it wasn’t going to happen, but man before that ASU was looking like a podium team

9, 9, 6, 8, 1, 9, 4 were their seeds including ZV.  As the NCAA tourney goes they could have had 7 AA or 1 AA. They were on that fence for a team trophy. They would have had to have their 9 seeds pull through. It was possible though. I haven't seen a team points by seeds post or list anywhere. Anyone have a link to what the team points would have been by seeds? Adding in a #1 by ZV I wonder where they would have stood. It would have been nice to get a Pac12 team a trophy. 

For whatever reason, ASU seemed to have trouble filling in the team and recruiting classes after the first one. Millhof and Tsirtsis probably the only legit contenders to join that first class until Teemer. Now with Teemer, they had a great class that included Schultz. Following it up with now again with Vasquez and a transfer in McGee. Need to mention Norfleet in some way too. You can tell how much work he has put in with Zahid. But overall, team seemed very thin behind the first elite 6 that turned into 5. 

15 hours ago, Downtown Brown said:

Ali Naser was a 2 time CA State placer, 7th @125 as a soph and 4th @ 132 as a senior. Not sure abut his junior year, he may have been injured before the LA CIF.

Free is/was his best style. His win over Coleman Scott is where the high-hopes and expectations came from (and not his CA JC success or high school results).

21 minutes ago, PSUSMC said:

Ali Naser was a 2 time CA State placer, 7th @125 as a soph and 4th @ 132 as a senior. Not sure abut his junior year, he may have been injured before the LA CIF.

Free is/was his best style. His win over Coleman Scott is where the high-hopes and expectations came from (and not his CA JC success or high school results).

I agree - Freestyle was his thing - He was very much hyped to come in and fill the void.

On 4/19/2020 at 6:55 AM, nom said:

Maybe he didn't want to endure the northeast winters? There are a lot of selfish parents out there, where they don’t want their little babies too far from home either.