Sign in to follow this  
Idaho

Kemerer gets 6th year

Just now, Idaho said:

What does Iowa’s lineup look like next year? Is Nelson still the odd man out? Can he go 165?

I mean, maybe he could make 165, but he's not getting thru Marinelli.  His best shot next year is, again, 184.

Nelson Brands is in a tough spot. Earlier this year I was thinking how tough the cut for Marinelli must be, because he looks every bit of 174. Good problem for the Hawkeyes to have.

1 hour ago, VakAttack said:

I mean, maybe he could make 165, but he's not getting thru Marinelli.  His best shot next year is, again, 184.

For some reason I had a brain fart and was thinking he was a senior. Maybe the hairline? So I’m guessing 21-22 is Nelson’s year at 174? There really is no way Iowa loses next year....right? 

2 minutes ago, Idaho said:

For some reason I had a brain fart and was thinking he was a senior. Maybe the hairline? So I’m guessing 21-22 is Nelson’s year at 174? There really is no way Iowa loses next year....right? 

PSU is still going to be very hard to beat and Cornell could prove to be very tough as well. 

PSU could go:

125-Howard

133-RBY

141-Lee

149-Verk

157-Berge

165-Manville/Lee

174-Starocci

184-Brooks

197-Beard

285-Kerkvliet

Cornell: 4 possible finalists in Vito, Yianni, Dean and Darmstadt.  Ramirez and Foca have AA potential  

125-Vito/Lajoie

133-Wilson/Vito

141-Yianni/Moore

149-Hunter

157-Santoro/Yapoujian

165-Ramirez

174-Foca

184-Dean

197-Darmstadt

285-Fernandes/Cardenas

1 hour ago, MSU158 said:

PSU is still going to be very hard to beat and Cornell could prove to be very tough as well. 

PSU could go:

125-Howard

133-RBY

141-Lee

149-Verk

157-Berge

165-Manville/Lee

174-Starocci

184-Brooks

197-Beard

285-Kerkvliet

Cornell: 4 possible finalists in Vito, Yianni, Dean and Darmstadt.  Ramirez and Foca have AA potential  

125-Vito/Lajoie

133-Wilson/Vito

141-Yianni/Moore

149-Hunter

157-Santoro/Yapoujian

165-Ramirez

174-Foca

184-Dean

197-Darmstadt

285-Fernandes/Cardenas

It ended up that Koll played last year and this year perfectly. I see the merit in those two teams being pretty tough, but with Iowa having almost the same lineup I am not sure that anyone beats them....not an Iowa fan or hater by BTW. 

4 minutes ago, Idaho said:

It ended up that Koll played last year and this year perfectly. I see the merit in those two teams being pretty tough, but with Iowa having almost the same lineup I am not sure that anyone beats them....not an Iowa fan or hater by BTW. 

Iowa should definitely be the favorite. But, they definitely aren’t run away favorites. 

Still, they have the potential to be even better than last season:

125-Lee

133-DeSanto

141-Murin/Eierman

149-Eierman/Murin

157-Young

165-Bull

174-Kemerer

184-Assad/Brands

197-Warner

285-Cass

2 hours ago, moveurfeet32 said:

Nelson needs to enter Portal...He'll Never get a fair shake with current coaching staff!

This is probably meant in jest but could actually be true... I’m guess the Brands don’t want to show any favoritism so they probably err on the other side 

2 hours ago, MSU158 said:

PSU could go:

125-Howard

133-RBY

141-Lee

149-Verk

157-Berge

165-Manville/Lee

174-Starocci

184-Brooks

197-Beard

285-Kerkvliet

125-Vito/Lajoie

133-Wilson/Vito

141-Yianni/Moore

149-Hunter

157-Santoro/Yapoujian

165-Ramirez

174-Foca

184-Dean

197-Darmstadt

285-Fernandes/Cardenas

Don’t forget about Greg D/Josh Saunders for Cornell. No guarantee they greyshirt. Especially Saunders.

31 minutes ago, lurk_nowitzki said:

Don’t forget about Greg D/Josh Saunders for Cornell. No guarantee they greyshirt. Especially Saunders.

They both could slot in well, but I think Greg D would benefit best from a developmental year.  Lajoie showed very steady improvement and Vito at 133 would make for the best lineup.  

If Yianni goes 149, is Saunders small enough to go 141?  If Yianni goes 141 is Saunders big enough for 149 or even 157?  Two out of those 3 weights are their weak points and Saunders could prove to be the best option.

8 hours ago, Idaho said:

What does Iowa’s lineup look like next year? Is Nelson still the odd man out? Can he go 165?

It is going to look a lot like it did this year and yes Nelson is going to have a tough time breaking in to a starting spot, 

125 - S Lee C/C

133 - A DeSanto 5 

141 - Eierman 4/3 or Murin

149 - Murin or Eierman

157 - K Young 5 

165 - A Marinelli 7/6

174 - M Kemerer 4/3

184 - A Assad

197 -  Warner 7

Hvywt - T Cassioppi

That is a lineup that has 7 past AAs despite the fact that the NCAA tournament was canceled this past year.  If it hadn't been they might be returning 10 AAs.  Iowa will start the year as a heavy favorite to win NCAAs with PSU, Michigan and Cornell giving chase.  

That's an absolutely brutal Hawkeye line-up.  Congrats to Coach Brands, you guys probably got ripped off from this one, but it's not easy putting together a team like you Hawks are throwing out there next year.  Winning ain't easy, but the over under may be 7 AA's and the over looks good.  I was beginning to wonder if college wrestling had an answer to Cael and his boys.  Good job sir, yet another example of why you will be in the Hall of Fame as a Coach also.  

I still say there is a shot Kemerer goes 184 and Brands at 174.  Redshirt Assad for the future.

There is also a chance that Teasdale gets back to his ability/form and goes 133 and they redshirt Desanto for the future.

Or...Desanto goes 141 and Eierman goes 149.

1 hour ago, Boompa said:

I still say there is a shot Kemerer goes 184 and Brands at 174.  Redshirt Assad for the future.

There is also a chance that Teasdale gets back to his ability/form and goes 133 and they redshirt Desanto for the future.

Or...Desanto goes 141 and Eierman goes 149.

Teasdale would have to make a big jump for that to happen, especially with how good Murin looked this year even while hurt. If the choice is whether to have Teasdale or Murin in the lineup, right now that choice is easily Murin. Kemerer to 184 is possible, but I think he'd be really small up there and you don't want to rob him of his best shot at a title. I also don't think Brands/Kemerer is any better than Kemerer/Assad. You'll see a lot of hawk fans try to wish this into being just like they did with Nelson this year because of his lineage and fun style, but he'll have to wait for his opportunity after the rest clear out. He'll be a solid AA guy right away as a junior at 165 or 174.

What will the 21-22 lineup look like with no redshirts this coming season? Looks to be a significant drop off with losing a lot of seniors. Possibly 4 national champs. 

47 minutes ago, Idaho said:

What will the 21-22 lineup look like with no redshirts this coming season? Looks to be a significant drop off with losing a lot of seniors. Possibly 4 national champs. 

125-Ayala/Ybarra

133-Schriever

141-Schroeder/Henson

149-Murin

157-Reyna

165-Kennedy

174-Brands

184-Assad

197-Warner 

285-Cass

If the young guys at the lower weights are ready to go, they could be just as formidable as this upcoming season.  With the track record Iowa has at the lightweights that is a strong possibility.

Ayala and Henson have shown tons of potential and Schriever could prove to be the “steal” of his class if he can get, and stay, healthy.  

57 minutes ago, MSU158 said:

125-Ayala/Ybarra

133-Schriever

141-Schroeder/Henson

149-Murin

157-Reyna

165-Kennedy

174-Brands

184-Assad

197-Warner 

285-Cass

If the young guys at the lower weights are ready to go, they could be just as formidable as this upcoming season.  With the track record Iowa has at the lightweights that is a strong possibility.

Ayala and Henson have shown tons of potential and Schriever could prove to be the “steal” of his class if he can get, and stay, healthy.  

Teasdale in there somewhere?