Sign in to follow this  
trendkillgts

A few old school MMA highlights

Hello all,

Just wanted to drop by and share a few MMA highlights that I made recently. I was listening to Chael Sonnen's podcast the other day and he was talking about several of the wrestlers who transitioned into MMA in the early days. In those days the general public didn't know how dominant wrestling was in a fight. People were still believing in the myths that had been propagated for years about mystical exotic fighting styles like kung fu and ninjitsu. There were plenty of those fighters who made it into the UFC in those days and it was great to watch them get ragdolled around and then ground into a paste in the cage.

"MMA Wrestling Pioneers" 
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ytyRx0O1jo

Next I put together a highlight of what I consider to be the golden age of MMA. The early 2000s when PRIDE fighting championship had taken over. Fighters like Fedor, Nogueira, Crocop, Sakuraba, Wanderlei, Rampage and Shogun. Goddamn I loved that organization and I miss it. For those who weren't around or watching MMA at the time, check it out. It was an exciting time. For those who have seen it and were around in those days, this video might send you on a trip down memory lane.

Gods of War (The Golden Age of MMA)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7mpKIVEZMrQ

Finally as I was watching the early UFCs for the first time in at least a decade, I noticed one fighter that really stuck out as someone who was way ahead of the curve for the time, but whose name doesn't really get brought up much. That fighter is Jerry Bohlander. He was very young when he made his UFC debut, looked like he could almost still be in high school. He had an amateur wrestling background and had been training with the Lion's Den for a little less than a year when he made his debut. In 1996, at a time when most people in the world (and the UFC) had no idea what they were doing on the mat, he was employing grappling fundamentals that were waaaay ahead of their time. Passing guard, armbars, kimuras, omaplatas, using the guard effectively, sweeps, properly applied chokes and more. He even managed to sub Olympic champion freestyle wrestler Kevin Jackson. Very impressive fighter whose skills were way ahead of the times, but you never hear his name mentioned.

Ahead of the Times: A Jerry Bohlander Highlight
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MU6KUisiCDE

Anyway, I hope everyone in this community is doing well through the outbreak that we're dealing with. Also hope you enjoy the highlights. 

Edited by trendkillgts