rcoates1

Alex dieringer

He’s leaving Okie State and headed to Michigan. His long time girlfriend will be continuing her education there.  Her parents also live there.  Should be a good fit for Alex. Stinks seeing him leave Stillwater though.

He’s leaving Okie State and headed to Michigan. His long time girlfriend will be continuing her education there.  Her parents also live there.  Should be a good fit for Alex. Stinks seeing him leave Stillwater though.
He's from Wisconsin too. A lot closer to home than Oklahoma, obviously.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

This RTC free agency period solidifies my prior thesis that there is basically 1 functional RTC in the country: NLWC. 

The rest of the RTC's are glorified training places for high schoolers and ex-college wrestlers with little chance of making a world or olympic team. People will see this Dieringer news and question whether John Smith and Okie St. are good enough to challenge the Penn St. and Ohio St. of the world. Well, guess what? Okie St. and Missouri got the top recruiting classes and they both have barely functional RTC's. 

And do you know why Coach Brian Smith and Coach John Smith have weak RTC's? Because they do not care about them, nor do they believe the benefits outweigh the problems. Liability issues with high schoolers around adults, diverting precious resources from the college team to other non-university wrestlers and the lack of oversight are all reasons that many choices have basically eschewed RTCs.

Take a cursory look with me: NLWC has legit contenders (meaning top 3 at the weight) at 57kg, 65kg, 74kg, 86kg, and 97kg. And Gwizz occasionally trains there too.

Now look at every other RTC. The vaunted Ohio RTC has J'den Cox visiting once a month max to vary his training and J'den recently said he didn't enjoy traveling to Columbus from Colorado. Ohio RTC has zero contenders at 57kg, 65kg, 74kg, 86kg or 125kg. Kollin Moore and a part-time Cox is all they have to show. 

What about Iowa? Per usual, a stud at 57kg and nothing else. Jaydin Eierman, a guy that couldn't qualify for the olympic trials, is apparently the guy at 65kg. Alex Marinelli is the 74kg and Kemdawg is 86kg, but both guys have a slim, slim chance of making a world team. Nothing at 97kg or 125kg. 

Hell, the most successful RTC besides NLWC is Michigan and its merry trope of non-American competitors. 

So much discussion revolves around the RTC, but they mean basically nothing. 

Most schools like Okie St., Mizzou, Cornell, Iowa, Illinois and others have 1 legit guy at their RTC's that could make a squad. 

21 minutes ago, cjc007 said:

He's from Wisconsin too. A lot closer to home than Oklahoma, obviously.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

There's a big lake between MI and WI, not easy to get across, option go around and thru Chicago but who wants to do that.  :(

4 minutes ago, MizzouGrad said:

Most schools like Okie St., Mizzou, Cornell, Iowa, Illinois and others have 1 legit guy at their RTC's that could make a squad. 

Cornell - Dake and Garrett have both been on teams. Yianni's right there. Vito might not win the spot now but he'll be in the mix in the future.

13 minutes ago, MizzouGrad said:

This RTC free agency period solidifies my prior thesis that there is basically 1 functional RTC in the country: NLWC. 

The rest of the RTC's are glorified training places for high schoolers and ex-college wrestlers with little chance of making a world or olympic team. People will see this Dieringer news and question whether John Smith and Okie St. are good enough to challenge the Penn St. and Ohio St. of the world. Well, guess what? Okie St. and Missouri got the top recruiting classes and they both have barely functional RTC's. 

And do you know why Coach Brian Smith and Coach John Smith have weak RTC's? Because they do not care about them, nor do they believe the benefits outweigh the problems. Liability issues with high schoolers around adults, diverting precious resources from the college team to other non-university wrestlers and the lack of oversight are all reasons that many choices have basically eschewed RTCs.

Take a cursory look with me: NLWC has legit contenders (meaning top 3 at the weight) at 57kg, 65kg, 74kg, 86kg, and 97kg. And Gwizz occasionally trains there too.

Now look at every other RTC. The vaunted Ohio RTC has J'den Cox visiting once a month max to vary his training and J'den recently said he didn't enjoy traveling to Columbus from Colorado. Ohio RTC has zero contenders at 57kg, 65kg, 74kg, 86kg or 125kg. Kollin Moore and a part-time Cox is all they have to show. 

What about Iowa? Per usual, a stud at 57kg and nothing else. Jaydin Eierman, a guy that couldn't qualify for the olympic trials, is apparently the guy at 65kg. Alex Marinelli is the 74kg and Kemdawg is 86kg, but both guys have a slim, slim chance of making a world team. Nothing at 97kg or 125kg. 

Hell, the most successful RTC besides NLWC is Michigan and its merry trope of non-American competitors. 

Isn’t Cassar in the hunt for top 3 at 125 kg?

2 minutes ago, RedFan said:

Cornell - Dake and Garrett have both been on teams. Yianni's right there. Vito might not win the spot now but he'll be in the mix in the future.

Garrett is not top 3 at 57kg or 65kg. Yianni is, but with all the hype he has never made an actual team. Dake is obviously a legit contender. 

Here's the thing, would you be surprised if Yianni, Garrett and Dake don't make a team? You shouldn't. 

Here's the favorites:

57kg: Spencer or Fix or Gilman

65kg: JO or Zain

74kg: JB

86kg: Taylor

97kg: Cox

125kg Gable or Gwizz

Granted, this is chalk and unlikely to be the team. But bare with me, if it is the team, you have:

Iowa RTC - 1

NLWC - 2 

Minnesota - 1

US Training Center - 1 (Cox) 

Nebraska - 1 

So, again, outside of NLWC you have a vast, vast majority of RTC's that are funding 1 legit contender. 

2 minutes ago, Mokoma said:

Isn’t Cassar in the hunt for top 3 at 125 kg?

No. 1.) We don't even know if Cassar will wrestle in 2021 with his shoulder issues and previously stating he wants to go straight to MMA. 

Also, Dom Bradley beat him. 

Top 125kg:

1.) Gwizz

2.) Gable

3.) Dom Bradley

4.) Tony Nelson

5.) Cassar

9 minutes ago, MizzouGrad said:

Garrett is not top 3 at 57kg or 65kg. Yianni is, but with all the hype he has never made an actual team. Dake is obviously a legit contender. 

Here's the thing, would you be surprised if Yianni, Garrett and Dake don't make a team? You shouldn't. 

Here's the favorites:

125kg Gable or Gwizz

Granted, this is chalk and unlikely to be the team. But bare with me, if it is the team, you have:

Iowa RTC - 1

NLWC - 2 

Minnesota - 1

Nebraska - 1 

So, again, outside of NLWC you have a vast, vast majority of RTC's that are funding 1 legit contender. 

Dake and Yianni should definitely be considered a favorite.  Certainly as much as JO or Gilman.

13 minutes ago, MizzouGrad said:

Here's the favorites:

125kg Gable or Gwizz

Iowa RTC - 1

NLWC - 2 

Minnesota - 1

Nebraska - 1 

Also, how is Kyle Snyder not a favorite?

37 minutes ago, MizzouGrad said:

Data shows otherwise- last years team: 

57 kg/125.5 lbs. - Daton Fix, Sand Springs, Okla. (Titan Mercury WC/Cowboy RTC)
61 kg/134 lbs. - Tyler Graff, Princeton, N.J. (Titan Mercury WC/NJRTC)
65 kg/143 lbs. - Zain Retherford, State College, Pa. (Nittany Lion WC)
70 kg/154 lbs. - James Green, Lincoln, Neb. (Titan Mercury WC/Nebraska WTC)
74 kg/163 lbs. - Jordan Burroughs, Lincoln, Neb. (Sunkist Kids/Nebraska WTC)
79 kg/174 lbs. - Kyle Dake, Ithaca, N.Y. (Titan Mercury WC/Finger Lakes RTC)
86 kg/189 lbs. - Pat Downey, Cranbury, N.J. (Titan Mercury WC/NJRTC)
92 kg/202.5 lbs. - J’den Cox, Colorado Springs, Colo. (Titan Mercury WC/OTC)
97 kg/213.75 lbs. - Kyle Snyder, Columbus, Ohio (Titan Mercury WC/Ohio RTC)
125 kg/275 lbs. - Nick Gwiazdowski, Raleigh, N.C. (Titan Mercury WC/Wolfpack RTC)

Edited by Idaho

1 minute ago, Mokoma said:

We will see, but I expect he’s close.

Here's the most recent rankings I've seen, from Feb 2020.

125 kg

Dom Bradley

Nick Gwiazdowski

Daniel Kerkvliet

Tony Nelson

Nick Nevills

Mason Parris

Garrett Ryan

Gable Steveson

https://news.theopenmat.com/international-wrestling/updated-list-of-2020-olympic-trials-qualifers/75926

10 minutes ago, Mokoma said:

Also, how is Kyle Snyder not a favorite?

Or Dake in the "or" category....I guess you have to be more than a world champ to get that honor. 

20 minutes ago, TobusRex said:

Here's the most recent rankings I've seen, from Feb 2020.

125 kg

Dom Bradley

Nick Gwiazdowski

Daniel Kerkvliet

Tony Nelson

Nick Nevills

Mason Parris

Garrett Ryan

Gable Steveson

https://news.theopenmat.com/international-wrestling/updated-list-of-2020-olympic-trials-qualifers/75926

That’s not a ranking it’s a list of qualifiers.

18 minutes ago, Idaho said:

Or Dake in the "or" category....I guess you have to be more than a world champ to get that honor. 

Yes I already said Dake and Yianni should be in there if JO and Gilman are.

Just now, ConnorsDad said:

You're absolutely right about Kyle. Dake and Yianni they're not the favorites. They could certainly win though.

Please explain to me how world champion Kyle Dake is not a favorite but Spencer Lee and Daton Fix are?

Or why JO is but Yianni who beat him isn’t?

1 minute ago, ConnorsDad said:

You're absolutely right about Kyle. Dake and Yianni they're not the favorites. They could certainly win though.

You make little sense.  What is the difference between J’Den Cox and Kyle Dake in the favorites sense.

1 hour ago, MizzouGrad said:

Let's see:  FLWC has Arujau, Diakomihalis, Garrett, Dean, Dake, and Berreyesa, all of whom have made World teams at one level or another.

I didn't say a favorite I said the favorite! If there was a 79 kg Olympic class then Kyle is the man. He's never beaten Jordan so he's certainly not the favorite but he could certainly win. Same basic rationale for Yianni. He's never been on a world team as a senior.