rcoates1

Alex dieringer

32 minutes ago, Mokoma said:

Yep.  That would be crazy if he does.  Taylor / Nickal has nearly (especially in State College, maybe more) as much buzz as Cox / Snyder and Burroughs / Dake.

No.  Not close.

On 4/21/2020 at 11:08 AM, MizzouGrad said:

This RTC free agency period solidifies my prior thesis that there is basically 1 functional RTC in the country: NLWC. 

The rest of the RTC's are glorified training places for high schoolers and ex-college wrestlers with little chance of making a world or olympic team. People will see this Dieringer news and question whether John Smith and Okie St. are good enough to challenge the Penn St. and Ohio St. of the world. Well, guess what? Okie St. and Missouri got the top recruiting classes and they both have barely functional RTC's. 

And do you know why Coach Brian Smith and Coach John Smith have weak RTC's? Because they do not care about them, nor do they believe the benefits outweigh the problems. Liability issues with high schoolers around adults, diverting precious resources from the college team to other non-university wrestlers and the lack of oversight are all reasons that many choices have basically eschewed RTCs.

Take a cursory look with me: NLWC has legit contenders (meaning top 3 at the weight) at 57kg, 65kg, 74kg, 86kg, and 97kg. And Gwizz occasionally trains there too.

Now look at every other RTC. The vaunted Ohio RTC has J'den Cox visiting once a month max to vary his training and J'den recently said he didn't enjoy traveling to Columbus from Colorado. Ohio RTC has zero contenders at 57kg, 65kg, 74kg, 86kg or 125kg. Kollin Moore and a part-time Cox is all they have to show. 

What about Iowa? Per usual, a stud at 57kg and nothing else. Jaydin Eierman, a guy that couldn't qualify for the olympic trials, is apparently the guy at 65kg. Alex Marinelli is the 74kg and Kemdawg is 86kg, but both guys have a slim, slim chance of making a world team. Nothing at 97kg or 125kg. 

Hell, the most successful RTC besides NLWC is Michigan and its merry trope of non-American competitors. 

So much discussion revolves around the RTC, but they mean basically nothing. 

Most schools like Okie St., Mizzou, Cornell, Iowa, Illinois and others have 1 legit guy at their RTC's that could make a squad. 

How does ohio state become more like nlwc?

20 minutes ago, shieldofpistis said:

How does ohio state become more like nlwc?

It's about recent performance for them to reclaim their spot as the top RTC. When Lou Roselli was there, the OhioRTC was clearly the top program. His departure and Kyle's performance in 2018 and 2019 really hurt them. It single-handily cost them Kerk when Kyle left for NLWC. 

I honestly don't think having a high-level RTC matters. Missouri and Okie St. are getting top recruits without them. A vast majority of these RTC's are doing very little on the senior level. 

1 hour ago, ionel said:

cheat 

Are you implying that Ohio State isn't as good as Penn St as a university or are you implying that Penn St bends the rules and if someone wants to compete with them, then they must bend the rules also?

Football is the biggest money maker.  Ohio State is far ahead of Penn St.  Actually, Penn St. gets a nice payday when bowl season comes because of Ohio State.  Basketball is the second money maker.  Ohio State is ahead of Penn St. there also.  

Penn St is better in wrestling and in some niche sports, like volleyball.  But as a whole, Ohio State runs the Big 10.  I imagine that's the biggest reason unfortunately that University of Cincinnati wasn't invited to the Big 10- because Ohio State did not want another competitor in their state. 

Penn St. has something special going on with the wrestling program.  I don't think it's just about Penn St being a wrestling rich state.  Ohio is a wrestling rich state too.  I think people want to be coached by Cael.  I wonder if Ohio State will need a coach like Stieber or someone who has close to the wrestling cred.  

I was happy Iowa was going to win it this year because I think it's bad for the sport when the same team dominates.  I think having dynasties is ok, but Penn St has had an unbelievable run. 

6 hours ago, AHamilton said:

No.  Not close.

They’d be the only matchup of 2 guys who both won a world title in their last time competing at worlds.

I’m not saying they are as good, in fact they are possibly 5th and 6th best of the 6, but being both PSU guys the buzz in State College will be huge.

21 hours ago, Mokoma said:

They’d be the only matchup of 2 guys who both won a world title in their last time competing at worlds.

I’m not saying they are as good, in fact they are possibly 5th and 6th best of the 6, but being both PSU guys the buzz in State College will be huge.

*U23

3 minutes ago, Mokoma said:

Yes I realized that but he beat at least one guy ranked in top 10 in the world.  It is a pretty legit title.  

So two guys, neither of whom medalled in 2019 Worlds, is a bigger matchup than two matchups with  guys who both medalled in last years worlds?

Edited by AHamilton

1 minute ago, AHamilton said:

So two guys, neither of whom medalled in 2019 Worlds, is a bigger matchup than two matchups with  guys who both medalled in last years worlds?

In State College, potentially yes.  

By the way, I said they’d have nearly as much buzz as the other two monster matchups.  I never said they’d be a bigger matchup.

2 minutes ago, Mokoma said:

In State College, potentially yes.  

By the way, I said they’d have nearly as much buzz as the other two monster matchups.  I never said they’d be a bigger matchup.

You said "maybe more"

... and I said "not even close" as far as buzz goes. In PA or on these forums.

Edited by AHamilton

50 minutes ago, AHamilton said:

You said "maybe more"

... and I said "not even close" as far as buzz goes. In PA or on these forums.

Yes, considering it’s in State College, it could potentially have the most buzz, or at least as much as 74 and 97.  I’m talking about in BJC, where the matches take place.

2 hours ago, ShakaAloha said:

I thought there would be more backlash toward Ringer from the Oklahoma State fanbase for this move.  Do they not care as much because he is no longer a collegian?

He also has very little chance of ever making an Olympic team IMO.

15 hours ago, ShakaAloha said:

I thought there would be more backlash toward Ringer from the Oklahoma State fanbase for this move.  Do they not care as much because he is no longer a collegian?

No we just hope he is doing what is best for him. There's no question where Ringer's loyalty lies. He just thinks this will make him better, and there's the personal decision of doing what is best for his lady. 

Hopefully this gets him a spot on the Olympic team. When his hand gets raised, you'll still see the OSU logo. 

And OSU will be fine without him. The program didn't crumble when Mark Branch and Chris Pendleton left. Or when Coleman Scott left. This is something we are pretty used to.