moveurfeet32

New Jerseys Top NCAA Team

There you have it, the greatest New Jersey D1 lineup of all-time.

Weight Name Years Active Hometown College
125 Gene Mills 1977-81 Pompton Lakes Syracuse
133 Darryl Burley 1979-83 Pemberton Lehigh
141 Kellen Russell 2008-12 High Bridge Michigan
149 Darrion Caldwell 2007-11 Rahway NC State
157 Jordan Burroughs 2007-11 Winslow Township Nebraska
165 Donny Pritzlaff 1998-2001 Lyndhurst Wisconsin
174 Chris Campbell 1974-77 Westfield Iowa
184 Myles Martin 2016-19 Penns Grove Ohio State
197 Damian Hauhn 2001-04 Lakewood Minnesota
285 Steve Mocco 2002-06 North Bergen Iowa/Oklahoma State

Pretty good line-up...You have a bunch of 2x National Champs and a couple Olympic team members that couldn't make the 2nd team and are Honarble mentions!

Edited by moveurfeet32

Mike Frick.    And yet, you have to put Darryl Burley ahead of him....Lehigh had the 134 lb studs.

Frick was a three-time NJSIAA state champion, a four-time NJSIAA state finalist, a four-time Region 1 Tournament champion and a four-time district champion for Pope John. Frick won state titles at 98, 115 and 123 pounds as a freshman, junior and senior, respectively. He also earned the Outstanding Wrestler Award his senior season.

Frick, a Hamburg native, ended his high school career with a 97-1 record, with his only loss coming to Pennsville’s John Laxton in the 106-pound state final as a sophomore.

Frick later went on to capture two NCAA Division I Championships while wrestling at Lehigh University. He won both of his titles in back-to-back fashion from 1975-76 and was named the Outstanding Wrestler in 1975.

He finished 86-9-4 at Lehigh, and holds a NCAA record for defeating five NCAA champions at five different weights up to 150 pounds. After graduating in 1976 with a degree in American Studies/History, Frick went on to wrestle internationally for U.S. AAU team and coach at both the U.S. Naval Academy and the University of Arizona. He also tried to make the U.S. Olympic team in 1980, but fell short in his bid for it.

Following his competition on the mat, Frick coached at a variety of high school, middle school, and club level programs both in New Jersey and Pennsylvania

Edited by BadgerMon

20 minutes ago, BadgerMon said:

Mike Frick.    And yet, you have to put Darryl Burley ahead of him....Lehigh had the 134 lb studs.

Frick was a three-time NJSIAA state champion, a four-time NJSIAA state finalist, a four-time Region 1 Tournament champion and a four-time district champion for Pope John. Frick won state titles at 98, 115 and 123 pounds as a freshman, junior and senior, respectively. He also earned the Outstanding Wrestler Award his senior season.

Frick, a Hamburg native, ended his high school career with a 97-1 record, with his only loss coming to Pennsville’s John Laxton in the 106-pound state final as a sophomore.

Frick later went on to capture two NCAA Division I Championships while wrestling at Lehigh University. He won both of his titles in back-to-back fashion from 1975-76 and was named the Outstanding Wrestler in 1975.

He finished 86-9-4 at Lehigh, and holds a NCAA record for defeating five NCAA champions at five different weights up to 150 pounds. After graduating in 1976 with a degree in American Studies/History, Frick went on to wrestle internationally for U.S. AAU team and coach at both the U.S. Naval Academy and the University of Arizona. He also tried to make the U.S. Olympic team in 1980, but fell short in his bid for it.

Following his competition on the mat, Frick coached at a variety of high school, middle school, and club level programs both in New Jersey and Pennsylvania

Burley was 94-5 in 4 seasons for Lehigh and was an NCAA finalist all 4 years winning 2 titles and finishing as runner up 2x

Mills vs Lehigh's Caruso (HM), 3 time national champion when freshmen were ineligible and lost one bout in his entire high school and college career, would have been interesting.

Edited by witwhiz

18 minutes ago, moveurfeet32 said:

Burley was 94-5 in 4 seasons for Lehigh and was an NCAA finalist all 4 years winning 2 titles and finishing as runner up 2x

I'm thinking that because of the rampant weight cutting, that one could slot Frick in before Kellen Russell.

Burley's best season was his senior year.  To properly account for weight classes from the 1950s to present day, this is more representative:

115/118/125:  Gene Mills

123/126/133  Mike Caruso

130/134/141: Mike Frick

137/142/149: Darryl Burley

147/150/157: Jordan Burroughs

157/158/165:  Donny Pritzlaff 

167/167/174:  Myles Martin (he was better at 184, but won a title here & can't beat Campbell)

177/177/184:  Chris Campbell

191/190/197: Damion Hahn

UNL/Hwt/285: Steve Mocco

2 hours ago, moveurfeet32 said:

141 Kellen Russell 2008-12 High Bridge Iowa State

Pretty good line-up...You have a bunch of 2x National Champs and a couple Olympic team members that couldn't make the 2nd team and are Honarble mentions!

I’m as big a fan of Darrion Caldwell as anyone but frank molinaro is 4x AA 3x at 149, was a 2 time finalist and champion, if you are going off total ncaa accomplishments I think molinaro is the guy 

1 hour ago, Antitroll2828 said:

I’m as big a fan of Darrion Caldwell as anyone but frank molinaro is 4x AA 3x at 149, was a 2 time finalist and champion, if you are going off total ncaa accomplishments I think molinaro is the guy 

Any version of Burley (134=141; 142=149) beats both the gorilla and Caldwell.

4 hours ago, BadgerMon said:

I thought 1980 was the year US boycotted Olympics.  But I guess we probably had our team decided before that?

1 hour ago, lu_alum said:

Any version of Burley (134=141; 142=149) beats both the gorilla and Caldwell.

Burley was way before my time but the summer after beating Metcalf Caldwell was also number 2 on the Senior circuit beating  Schwab and losing to Frayer. And the loss to Frayer was on exposure (pure Freestyle vs folkstyle)

It really is a shame he got hurt rollerblading 

I think peak Caldwell is clearly better than peak Molinaro (in college)

I thought 1980 was the year US boycotted Olympics.  But I guess we probably had our team decided before that?

Correct. Team was:

Bobby Weaver
Gene Mills
John Acevedo
Randy Lewis
Chuck Yale
Lee Kemp
Chris Campbell
Ben Peterson
Russ Hellickson
Greg Wojciechowski

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

10 hours ago, PHL said:

Burley was way before my time but the summer after beating Metcalf Caldwell was also number 2 on the Senior circuit beating  Schwab and losing to Frayer. And the loss to Frayer was on exposure (pure Freestyle vs folkstyle)

It really is a shame he got hurt rollerblading 

I think peak Caldwell is clearly better than peak Molinaro (in college)

I think they’re close.  Molinaro was 2nd to Dake as a junior then was an undefeated national champion.  I’d use Molinaro for this exercise over Caldwell because of that coupled with a 5th place in the Olympics.

20 hours ago, moveurfeet32 said:

141 Kellen Russell 2008-12 High Bridge Iowa State

Ed and Lou Banach would be my choice over Damian and Steve, but I'm not from Jersey so you guys probably know better.

7 minutes ago, Peso said:

Ed and Lou Banach would be my choice over Damian and Steve, but I'm not from Jersey so you guys probably know better.

The Banach bros were from Port Jervis NY.  This all New Jersey team could easily start with 3 Lehigh guys:

125 - Mike Caruso - 1-1-1 in 3 tries

133 - Mike Frick 1-1-4

141 D Burley 1-2-2-1

That would be my pick but I am definitely biased as I was a teammate of Frick & Burley.  Both were amazing wrestlers.

On 4/21/2020 at 9:36 PM, lu_alum said:

Correct. Team was:

Bobby Weaver
Gene Mills
John Acevedo
Randy Lewis
Chuck Yale
Lee Kemp
Chris Campbell
Ben Peterson
Russ Hellickson
Greg Wojciechowski

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

There was an actual Olympic Trials schedule- regional as well as the National Trials- which were in Madison, WI.  Then they had the ladder tournament after that for the top 3 or 6. Some of the guys who won in Madison didn't either bother going to the ladder tournament or didn't win it once they got there ( Jimmy Haines, Laurent Soucie to name a couple if my old memory serves proper). For example, Steve Barrett won the tournament at 149.5, which was probably the deepest field there. 

Edited by BadgerMon

20 hours ago, lu_alum said:

Burley's best season was his senior year.  To properly account for weight classes from the 1950s to present day, this is more representative:

115/118/125:  Gene Mills

123/126/133  Mike Caruso

130/134/141: Mike Frick

137/142/149: Darryl Burley

147/150/157: Jordan Burroughs

157/158/165:  Donny Pritzlaff 

167/167/174:  Myles Martin (he was better at 184, but won a title here & can't beat Campbell)

177/177/184:  Chris Campbell

191/190/197: Damion Hahn

UNL/Hwt/285: Steve Mocco

Not sure that you can improve on this

1 hour ago, BadgerMon said:

Not sure that you can improve on this

I really like that way of looking at it.  That's a strong group by any measure.  I watched all of those guys wrestle multiple times.  I was a huge Steve Barrett fan, so I can appreciate guys like Frick, but these fans today sure missed out on a lot of absolute hammers who didn't see those guys compete.  Some of the earlier ones wrestled when there were a couple hundred more teams that had wrestling.  I know it's tougher today, but like I say a lot, those guys would be the studs today even though they would only have 7 minutes to do it in.

4 hours ago, Peso said:

My bad guys.  I have thought they were from Jersey for about 40 years.  Carry on!

The Banachs were born in Jersey but grew up In Port Jervis which is right on the border anyway so both states have some claim

14 hours ago, Mokoma said:

I think they’re close.  Molinaro was 2nd to Dake as a junior then was an undefeated national champion.  I’d use Molinaro for this exercise over Caldwell because of that coupled with a 5th place in the Olympics.

Overall Molinaro had a better career with the Olympics but that was a couple of years removed from college. How did he do on the senior circuit while on college?

I'd take Caldwell his Junior year over any year Molinaro in College.

2016 Molinaro beats any version of Caldwell