Sign in to follow this  
tommygun

Kyle Dake: Greatest Collegiate Wrestler Ever

He was not good enough to win a national title because he couldn't make the line up his true freshman year, Dake was. That is a fact, please learn to accept it.

Why because he lost to his teammate in freestyle?

He was not good enough to win a national title because he couldn't make the line up his true freshman year, Dake was. That is a fact, please learn to accept it.

:lol:

You really need to look up the definition of the word "fact" in the dictionary - I assure you it does not say anything like "Fact: Whatever you subjectively think about a certain idea, event, or circumstance. A personal opinion, in many cases completely ignorantly formed." - which apparently you seem to think it does.

It may also help to realize that taking a RS year does not mean you did so because you couldn't make the line up for your team...

Again I'm done with you...you are just making a fool of yourself repeatedly. Well Done!! :lol:

Nope dake is not, he's 1 of the best and had an awesome career, but I think hits like John Smith, Burroughs, are better. Uetake was undefeated and an Olympic champ while still on college. Just think as good as dake is he hot hammered by Howe. Burroughs also his contemporary would have won had they met in college. Dake obviously had the greatest collegiate wrestling career ever I'd even put it ahead of Sanderson despite his losses.

Nope dake is not, he's 1 of the best and had an awesome career, but I think hits like John Smith, Burroughs, are better. Uetake was undefeated and an Olympic champ while still on college. Just think as good as dake is he hot hammered by Howe. Burroughs also his contemporary would have won had they met in college. Dake obviously had the greatest collegiate wrestling career ever I'd even put it ahead of Sanderson despite his losses.

yeah don't let that whole 4 losses thing get in the way

I would agree that Dake's career is the all time best. The thing that seals the deal for me is the weightclasses where Dake competed. There is no doubt in my mind that the middle weights are tougher than the upperweights. Cael was so good with his ankle picks because big guys aren't accustomed to defending them. Not the case in the middle weights.

Also I think not taking that redshirt is a much bigger deal than people are making it. Dake walks onto the mat for the first time as a true freshman and tosses a defending all American to his back (Krom) to win the dual for his team. That was a sure sign of the greatness to come.

Finally when you look back at Dake's finals opponents the following years I think they help make his case. The next year they were a finalist, champ, champ and senior year he beats the defending Hodge winner.

Best career of all time!

What is this guy talking about? I suspect that many of these pro Dake posters were too young to have watched Cael wrestle, and are confusing their "facts". Cael didn't win matches 3-0...sorry, he was too busy racking up points to worry about "riding guys" for the whole period. If he couldn't turn them, he cut them and took them down. Kyle Dake is an incredible wrestler and deserves all of the kudo's he is getting. Jumping up 4 weight classes is an amazing accomplishment. Cael was only able to jump up 1 weight class...you can't control the way God created you. Cael Sanderson is simply the greatest collegiate wrestler ever. Dake is right up there as well, but some of his losses keep him from Sanderson's level.

Tobus is going to be bitter for a while, no sense in arguing with him.

He's lashing out at Cael because his team beat Okie State.

Dake is just his projection. It really has nothing to do with Dake or Sanderson as wrestlers :D

Bitter for awhile? Yeah, I guess being bitter for 48 years is "awhile".

Btw...I'm not lashing out at Cael. I actually LIKE Cael and consider him a classy and great advocate for everything right with the sport. I just think Dake's accomplishment is superior.

Oh and BTW...I'm an OKLAHOMA fan, not OSU. I generally root for both at NCAAs, but when the rubber hits the road I'm an OU fan. Lookout...next year OU will be dangerous!

What is this guy talking about? I suspect that many of these pro Dake posters were too young to have watched Cael wrestle, and are confusing their "facts". Cael didn't win matches 3-0...sorry, he was too busy racking up points to worry about "riding guys" for the whole period. If he couldn't turn them, he cut them and took them down. Kyle Dake is an incredible wrestler and deserves all of the kudo's he is getting. Jumping up 4 weight classes is an amazing accomplishment. Cael was only able to jump up 1 weight class...you can't control the way God created you. Cael Sanderson is simply the greatest collegiate wrestler ever. Dake is right up there as well, but some of his losses keep him from Sanderson's level.

Good post! Sanderson was beating other very outstanding wrestlers during his collegiate career by pinning them or beating them very badly. He wasn't beating them 3-2, 2-0, and so forth much of the time. Dake deserves all the credit for accomplishing what he did, but there's no comparison as to who was better and had a better collegiate career IMO. Just look up Sanderson's career stats, victories each year, and who he was beating and by the score per year:

http://www.caelsanderson.com/results/1998-1999-results/

It's easy to forget the past and simply say whatever is most recent is best. Go back and watch the way Cael dismantled his opponents. There has never been anyone like him. The arguments about losses and redshirts are secondary to the fact that he was the greatest college wrestler ever. Also, his competition was better than some are misremembering.

1999 39-0, 31 bonus point wins

2000 40-0, 34 bonus point wins, World University champ

2001 40-0, 36 bonus point wins

2002 40-0, 38 bonus point wins, won US Nationals and WTT before season

Defeated future 2x Olympian and 5x World Team member Daniel Cormier multiple times. Defeated future World silver medalist Brandon Eggum multiple times. Defeated future 2x greco Olympian and world silver medalist Brad Vering multiple times. Defeated future Olympian Andy Hrovat multiple times. Defeated 6x greco world team member Justin Ruiz.

did Cael have a hard time catching HIS breath after his finals matches?

Cael never wrestled anybody as good as Taylor in the finals, and you know it.

That's true, but you can only wrestle who is in front of you. The truth is, 165 is pretty weak this year outside of Dake and Taylor. Jon Trenge was a true stud in college, and Cael dismantled him his senior year. Trenge was 5 seconds away from beating Damian Hahn the following year. Cael beat guys who were World Team or Olympic team members in 2 of his other finals appearances.

If you are the best in the world while you are in college, I'm sorry, that takes the cake of being best college wrestler ever. Only 2 guys can say that officially Uetake and John Smith, the other people who were world champions in years they were college wrestlers were Jordan Burroughs and Stephen Neal. I'm sorry as good as good Sanderson or DAke , this excludes them from being greatest college wrestler ever, they both have argument for greatest college career ever. Although, I would still give it to Uetake who was, undefeated in college, while also being an Olympic champion as a freaking Sophomore in college, come on now. When you are using your NCAA finals matches to work on things, that's a problem.

so far reading on Uetake

"For anyone interested, he's generally considered our greatest wrestler ever ... 3 time NCAA champ (64-66) ... 2-time gold in Olympics (he won it the first time after his soph season) ... never lost (58-0 NCAA record) ... never really had a challenge (although Fujita, a later Cowboy wrestler ... and great one as well ... apparently took him 1 out of 3 in the 68 Japan Olympic trials ... as the story goes).

My favorite story about Yojo (his nickname). Last match of career ... NCAA finals ... he's gonna win ... riding his opponent in second period ... ref stops match and warns Yojo for stalling. Now Yojo wasn't a pinner ... could have been but rather wanted to get a full workout in each match so almost never went for fall. Anyway, that warning pissed him off. So he pins the guy 30 seconds later! That's how good he was ... and 30 seconds is not an exaggeration. Opponent looked at ref and said ... "Next time, don't do me any favors!"

I'm not arguing about how good Uetake was, the results speak for itself. But as a comparrison, wasn't Kilgore something like 48-0 going into his finals match last night?

Cael had 159 varsity matches. 101 more than Uetake.

How many Olympic golds and world championships did Cael win as a sophomore in college. Come on now, the international game is much harder than the college game, and the Uetake was the best in the world not just the United States. You simply can't compare the two, look at how Cael did on the international scene , hwe was getting handled even after graduating.

Going undefeated means you had the best career, it doesn't mean you were the best ever. I would even put John Smith ahead of Sanderson, and he had what 2 or 3 losses in college. But the guy again was a World Champion as Jr as well as NCAA champ.

I'm not arguing about how good Uetake was, the results speak for itself. But as a comparrison, wasn't Kilgore something like 48-0 going into his finals match last night?

Cael had 159 varsity matches. 101 more than Uetake.

How many Olympic golds and world championships did Cael win as a sophomore in college. Come on now, the international game is much harder than the college game, and the Uetake was the best in the world not just the United States. You simply can't compare the two, look at how Cael did on the international scene , hwe was getting handled even after graduating.

Going undefeated means you had the best career, it doesn't mean you were the best ever. I would even put John Smith ahead of Sanderson, and he had what 2 or 3 losses in college. But the guy again was a World Champion as Jr as well as NCAA champ.

John Smith had 7 losses.