Jump to content
MizzouGrad

Top Assistant Coaches

Recommended Posts

54 minutes ago, shieldofpistis said:

Where does Jaggers rank?

He would be pretty high on my list.  Top assistant from an elite program who is a 2X champ and a great communicator.  I would think it would have to be a top program to lure him away as he is pretty well set up in C-Bus and is all about Ohio State and Cleveland sports.  There was some talk of him for the Cleveland State position but I don't think he was a candidate.  It would be intriguing to see what he could do with a Kent State or and Ohio U but like I said I think the only way he leaves Ohio State is for a head coaching position at another elite program.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

While I don't pretend to know the scoop at Nebraska, it sure seems like Snyder is waiting to take the reins once Manning hangs it up, doesn't it?

Hearing so many great things about Snyder--and the performances from those Nebraska middle-weights--sure makes me think that he could have had a head coaching gig by now. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, Obelix said:

 

While I don't pretend to know the scoop at Nebraska, it sure seems like Snyder is waiting to take the reins once Manning hangs it up, doesn't it?

Hearing so many great things about Snyder--and the performances from those Nebraska middle-weights--sure makes me think that he could have had a head coaching gig by now. 

This definitely makes sense

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/23/2020 at 5:30 PM, ShakaAloha said:

Casey Cunningham

Donnie Prtizlaff

Mark Perry

Mike Grey

Pretty sure Mark Perry Jr. is not an assistant coach (nor is Sr.), correct?

But we can now take Poeta off the top of the list.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Important question, and one thing that most Assistant Coaches must clearly consider, is that moving from assistant to head coach in a lot of scenarios requires more admin/upward and outward schmoozing and less actual wrestling work.  

There are the head coaches who are also the technical masterminds, but for most positions, and coaches, that is not feasible.  The brains I think the three major exceptions here would be the three most successful teams in Iowa, Okie State and Penn State, but those are serious outliers.  Any PSU assistant could be a head coach if they raised their hand, none will I don’t think.  Mark Perry is clearly an excellent technician, but it sounds like he is the wrestling version of boddhi from point break, just needs to ride his own wave.

But for Jaggers, for example, how much time does he have in the sun, so to speak?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/7/2021 at 7:46 PM, ionel said:

Pretty sure Mark Perry Jr. is not an assistant coach (nor is Sr.), correct?

But we can now take Poeta off the top of the list.  

Mark Perry Jr is volunteer assistant at ASU.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, ionel said:

 

Volunteer doesn't mean he works for free. Administrations will only pay for so many coaches so the word volunteer means  Wrestling  raises the money. I know your probably aware of all that so not sure why your so caught up on the word Volunteer

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, calot said:

Volunteer doesn't mean he works for free. Administrations will only pay for so many coaches so the word volunteer means  Wrestling  raises the money. I know your probably aware of all that so not sure why your so caught up on the word Volunteer

Technically wrestling can't pay for them. They can't be paid by any aspect of the institution.  That having been said, typically the alums launder money through an indirectly associated club that pays the vol coach to run those practices for whoever shows up or to train if they're still competing internationally.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, gimpeltf said:

Technically wrestling can't pay for them. They can't be paid by any aspect of the institution.  That having been said, typically the alums launder money through an indirectly associated club that pays the vol coach to run those practices for whoever shows up or to train if they're still competing internationally.

When I said wrestling raises the money thats what I was alluding to. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/24/2020 at 9:23 AM, RED said:

Mike Grey @ Cornell

 

Seems to me that Grey will have a hard time getting a head job b/c he was not a national champ and only a low-level AA. He was also not an exciting or charismatic wrestler. I believe the Cornell guys when they say he is good or great coach. But I don't see him being a good enough recruiter to replace Koll (his best shot) or being hire as a HC elsewhere.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, NJDan said:

Seems to me that Grey will have a hard time getting a head job b/c he was not a national champ and only a low-level AA. He was also not an exciting or charismatic wrestler. I believe the Cornell guys when they say he is good or great coach. But I don't see him being a good enough recruiter to replace Koll (his best shot) or being hire as a HC elsewhere.

The head coaches at these DI universities were not National Champions.  A large number were not finalists, some did not become D1 All-Americans and many were not exciting or charismatic wrestlers:

Air Force
Arkansas - Little Rock
Army
American
App State
ASU (although a World Champ)
Binghampton
Bloomsburg
Brown
Bucknell
Buffalo
Cal Baptist
Cal Poly
Campbell
CSUB
CMU
Clarion
Columbia
Davidson
Drexel
Duke
Edinboro
F&M
Gardner Webb
GMU
Hofstra
Kent State
Lock Haven
LIU
Maryland
Michigan
Michigan State
Minnesota
Missouri
Nebraska
NC State
NDSU
N. Illinois
Northwestern
Ohio 
Ohio State
Oklahoma
Penn
Presbyterian
Princeton
Purdue
Rider
Rutgers
Sacred Heart
S. Illinois
Va Tech
VMI
WVU

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...